• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAPee Offer PRC Stepping Stone to Oz! Brilliant!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
emigrate_australia.jpg

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>Tao Li's English worry
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- headline one : end --></TD></TR><TR><TD>National swimmer must clear language test for further studies </TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- Author --></TD></TR><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Valerie Chia
</TD></TR><TR><TD><!-- show image if available --></TD></TR><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
TaoLi-ST.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

National swimmer Tao Li speaking to Bukit View Secondary School students on Monday on her experiences in preparing for last year's Beijing Olympics. ST PHOTO: ALBERT SIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->

TAO Li is nursing a big headache - but it is not swimming-related.

The China-born 19-year-old has until August to brush up on her English, before she sits for an all-important language proficiency test.

The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test is a pre-university level test encompassing listening, reading, writing and oral skills.

It will determine if the national swimmer qualifies for the Auckland University of Technology, where she wants to pursue a pre-degree-diploma in Sports Management & Exercise Science via the Singapore Sports School's 'Through Train' programme.

'It's bothering me and I can't focus on training. Just thinking about the test puts me in no mood,' said the Secondary 4 student, who says her weak areas are writing and listening, particularly if the speaker has an accent and talks fast.

Six years ago when she first arrived, she could hardly speak a word of English but she now gives interviews in English.

But, of the test she added: 'This is something really different and difficult and I'm stressed out.

'If you asked me to train more, it wouldn't be as bad as studying for this test. If I fail, I'll have no school to go to.'

The Sports School's head of athlete services, Peggy Tng, said the test was necessary to prevent the swimmer's studies from clashing with preparations for the 2012 London Olympics.

Said Tng: 'She's currently on a five-year programme that ends next year. By the time she enters AUT, it's 2011 and that's too close to the Olympics.

'So we thought of a creative way to help her. It involves taking the IELTS test this year, so she can enter AUT next year and enjoy a smoother passage in training for the Games.'

As Tao Li obtained a degree in business administration from the South China University of Technology in February after a four-year distance-learning programme, she has to clear only the IELTS since the AUT recognises the degree, which was done in Chinese.

Meanwhile, she is hitting the books furiously. And while she laments that four months' preparation is too short, she is determined to pass.

'This test is good as it'll ensure I'm able to cope in the AUT. No point going if I can't catch up with the rest,' she said.

For the past month, she has spent over six hours daily studying English under a private tutor hired by the Sports School.

She is also taking remedial classes three times weekly, working on only one other subject - history - and listening to more English songs instead of her favourite Mandarin tunes by Stefanie Sun.

The Sports School's head of language and arts, Roger Poulier, said: 'Tao Li was not an English-speaker when she first came, so her vocabulary range is an issue as she sometimes finds it difficult to express herself in English.

'We're working hard with her, giving her word lists which she has to memorise and practice papers to do.'

A trial IELTS test has been planned in July to judge how prepared she is. To qualify for the AUT, she has to attain an overall IELTS score of at least six out of nine.

The Sports School's principal, Deborah Tan, has confidence in Tao Li.

Tan said: 'This isn't an insurmountable task. Like any good athlete, she has to overcome hurdles.'

However, the test has affected Tao Li's training. She is slated to compete in June's National Championships, which are a time trial for December's South-east Asia Games, and July's World Championships in Rome.

Said her coach, Australian Peter Churchill: 'We've had to put a sort of handbrake on swimming for this year because of the test.

'It's a big fear in her mind - she's worried that every hour she trains is an hour less for studying.

'We've had to re-assess our plans. The main focus now is qualifying for the SEA Games and doing well.'

He had targeted a medal at the World Championships but says that now, 'Tao Li doesn't have the luxury of time to train enough for that'.

Instead, she will focus on recovery after races - important as she will likely swim in six events at the SEA Games (with the 100m butterfly and 100m backstroke just five minutes apart).

For now, Tao Li's focus is on the IELTS test.

Churchill acknowledges his charge is facing a considerable hurdle.
He said: 'It's like asking a person who's picked up some Thai after living in Thailand for awhile to take a Thai language test.'