• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

PAPee Killed Sg Kampung Spirit Single-Handedly

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Jalan Kukoh's nostalgic tug

</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I WAS pleasantly surprised to read the report on Block 2, Jalan Kukoh, "Old block, new faces", on Saturday.
My family of seven - my parents and five children - moved there in 1971 when I was three. Looking at the pictures inundated my mind with fond, nostalgic memories of the place where I grew up. Life in the place formerly known as Kong Jio in Hokkien during those days was in stark contrast to the current life that was described in the report.
Those days, there was a strong kampung feel to the place. All the neighbours knew one another. Some of our neighbours kept their doors open most of the time. We had names for our neighbours like Mai Fun Sow, for the auntie who sold fried bee hoon; Buay Po Sim for the auntie who sold textiles; Sway Sa Sim, who did laundry to supplement her income; and the not-too-flattering Tee Ko Heong, for the guy who lived in the middle of the corridor and who exhibited certain behaviour.
When one family on the second storey bought a black and white TV set, children from other floors, like us who lived on the fourth storey, went there to watch Ultraman. When our neighbour, who lived a few doors away from us, installed a telephone, we even had the audacity to give our neighbour's telephone number to our friends. Our neighbour would come to our house to inform us that there was a phone call for us. Maybe it helped that the phone fee was a flat rate then.
Even the shop owners knew practically every household above their shops. We were allowed to owe them money if we did not have enough cash to pay for our purchases.
The common corridor was a natural playground for the children. We would play football there and at the staircase landing. Games stopped when the ball smashed against any of the ubiquitous oil tins placed outside each house for burning of prayer offerings. We would hide to see if any head popped out to shout at us.
Of course we had some negative influences as well. My adjacent neighbour was an opium addict and I was used to the opium smell from young. That could partly explain why I was often sleepy in class. There were also gangsters around the area and there were occasional fights. Illegal betting on horse racing and gambling with cards and the "aeroplane game" were also common at the hawker centre.
My family members still return regularly to the hawker centre below Block 3 to patronise the satay stall and celebrate our birthdays. We still think that the satay there is the best in town. The stall may not be there for long as the owner is already more than 70 years old.
My wife just got pregnant recently and I hope one day I can take my child to see the humble environment that I grew up in.
Chua Beng Cheng (Mr)

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am Lee Kuan Yew. I do not crack an egg. I have maids to look after me. I believe in euthansia and inequality. I will meet you in cul-de-sac. I control Singapore with an iron hand, what do you expect?

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
PAP's social engineering policies created a disunited nation, where 37% of the Singaporeans don't feel loyal to the country, 50% of the people will migrate to greener pastures if given the choice, we don't gang up in public to defend Singaporeans attacked by foreign trash, people have low levels of trust for each other and the rich people happily enrich themselves at the expense of the low waged and low skilled workers.

I believe that we enjoy better racial and community integration when the majority of Singaporeans used to live in kampongs, rather than PAP's forced racial quotas in HDB estates, there is often exchange of ethnic foods, Chinese will lend money to their Malays neighbours, and people of different races celebrating ethnic festivals, weddings and new month births together. The present Singaporean family usually keep to themselves and don't interact with neighbours and don't join most community activities.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
PAP's social engineering policies created a disunited nation, where 37% of the Singaporeans don't feel loyal to the country, 50% of the people will migrate to greener pastures if given the choice, we don't gang up in public to defend Singaporeans attacked by foreign trash, people have low levels of trust for each other and the rich people happily enrich themselves at the expense of the low waged and low skilled workers.

I believe that we enjoy better racial and community integration when the majority of Singaporeans used to live in kampongs, rather than PAP's forced racial quotas in HDB estates, there is often exchange of ethnic foods, Chinese will lend money to their Malays neighbours, and people of different races celebrating ethnic festivals, weddings and new month births together. The present Singaporean family usually keep to themselves and don't interact with neighbours and don't join most community activities.

th_1-3.jpg

Son, u call this divide and conquer. Get it? Now, sing with me "Stand up for Singapore..." *chey*

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
That is so true, my dad say the same thing over and over again, that there is nothing left from the old days. I now stay on my own in rented apartments, and going back home during festive season is to go back to the same hdb environment, the same most other singaporeans are going back to. Are there any memorable features in your estate? Will your favorite playground still be there in 10 years time? Can anyone trust their neighbors to look after their kids or house. Can anyone go back to an estate after leaving the place for 10 years and meet some random people who can still remember you?

No, Singapore is cold, and the temperature will continue to drop. With its location situated along the equator didn't do any help.