• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Papaya Dog Scratches Back of Papaya Bitch

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sep 14, 2008
YOUR LETTERS
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Kudos to writer for walking the talk
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I want to thank The Sunday Times for its special report on foreign workers.
The report was well-balanced, covering the foreign workers' opinions, their backgrounds, as well as the expatriates in Serangoon Gardens.
I was especially touched by writer Lydia Lim, who wrote in her viewpoint column ('Why I did not sign the petition'): 'I have maintained in this newspaper and elsewhere that foreign workers are human beings, no less so than I am. And human beings need places to live. That all persons are equal in dignity is a value I hold dear.'
I applaud her for having the courage to stand firm on her principles and to walk the talk.
Ironically, on the same page, it was reported how the 5,000 expatriates in Serangoon Gardens were made to feel welcome in the estate.
The report gives an impression that the expats are mainly 'white people'. A great many expats in Singapore are from India, China and probably the same countries as the foreign workers.
For those who are still living in the colonial days, my advice is to start embracing the changes in the world, especially with the emerging economic power of China and India.
I recall my O-level literature teacher, who used to live in Serangoon Gardens, engaging the class in a discussion of George Orwell's Animal Farm, and condemning the proclamation by the pigs in the novel that 'all animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others'.
I wonder what my teacher would have to say on this issue of foreign workers. Teo Eng Hock