• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Pacnet to say good-bye.....

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
The decision by Pacnet, Singapore's second Internet service provider (ISP), to exit the local residential market on Dec 1 means about 26,000 home users have less than two months to find another ISP.

These users will have to surrender their @pacific.net.sg e-mail addresses, some of which have been in existence for 17 years. Pacnet will terminate its dial-up and broadband Internet access as well as fax, domain name, e-mail and Web security services on Dec 1. However, the company's corporate customers will not be affected by the move.

In an e-mail notification sent out on Tuesday to residential customers, Pacnet said affected broadband users can get exclusive promotions from SingNet, its arch-rival for almost two decades. The offer, valid until Oct 31, includes a SingNet 100Mbps fibre broadband plan for $49.90 a month - $10 cheaper than SingNet's current offer to non-Pacnet customers.

Affected customers were also advised in the e-mail to start forwarding their e-mails to another account. Pacnet will continue to forward affected customers' e-mails to their specified accounts until the end of February next year. Customers will have to go to Pacnet's website to indicate a forwarding e-mail address.

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Tough competition. In the end, maybe only SingNet will survive....Luckily I am with SingNet. Are you affected?

aquilonian

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Yes pacnet is really packing it up for good. A shame really. I used to be with them some time back in the 90s. They werent very good but its still sad to see them go.

captainxerox

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those illegal downloaders, pacnet is best. during odex case, they stood ground and tell odex to fuck off when they demanded details of downloaders saying odex must go court first before pacnet screw privacy of customers. singtel and starhub give up their customer details at the drop of the hat.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
for those illegal downloaders, pacnet is best. during odex case, they stood ground and tell odex to fuck off when they demanded details of downloaders saying odex must go court first before pacnet screw privacy of customers. singtel and starhub give up their customer details at the drop of the hat.

thanks for enlightening me.

hurley

Alfrescian
Loyal
No more @pacific.net.sg email add after 1 Dec

Pacnet exits Singapore residential market
Second-oldest ISP, with 26,000 home users, to focus on corporate business

The decision by Pacnet, Singapore's second Internet service provider (ISP), to exit the local residential market on Dec 1 means about 26,000 home users have less than two months to find another ISP.

These users will have to surrender their @pacific.net.sg e-mail addresses, some of which have been in existence for 17 years. Pacnet will terminate its dial-up and broadband Internet access as well as fax, domain name, e-mail and Web security services on Dec 1. However, the company's corporate customers will not be affected by the move.

In an e-mail notification sent out on Tuesday to residential customers, Pacnet said affected broadband users can get exclusive promotions from SingNet, its arch-rival for almost two decades. The offer, valid until Oct 31, includes a SingNet 100Mbps fibre broadband plan for $49.90 a month - $10 cheaper than SingNet's current offer to non-Pacnet customers.

Affected customers were also advised in the e-mail to start forwarding their e-mails to another account. Pacnet will continue to forward affected customers' e-mails to their specified accounts until the end of February next year. Customers will have to go to Pacnet's website to indicate a forwarding e-mail address.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: No more @pacific.net.sg email add after 1 Dec

My first ISP was Pacific, email account was with them, till Cyberway( Starhub) came along, then it was Cyberway, using Eudora as client. Then came Hotmail, Yahoo etc.
Signed up briefly with Sing & Tell, but stuck to starhub till now!.

Bye Bye Pacific Net , are they still at Science park?

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What about this Open Net thing? Any brothers can enlighten me on this. Recently got a letter for " FREE" installation of terminal. Anyone got this invitation? I read and I found that it is not really " FREE".

laksaboy

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
My first ISP, was happy like bird with email, Geocities and dialup Internet.

I had even stuck with them for a few years by subscribing to Pacnet ADSL, before moving on to Starhub MaxOnline.

Good luck PacNet, and fuck you Singtel.

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What about this Open Net thing? Any brothers can enlighten me on this. Recently got a letter for " FREE" installation of terminal. Anyone got this invitation? I read and I found that it is not really " FREE".

Like you, I am still puzzle over this OPEN Net terminal installed in the house?, what is that suppose to do? We have the Cable Terminal, with an extra point in the room...what is this OPEN NET..what is it supposedly open to? OPEN my WALLET?? maybe!:p

Adolfus

Alfrescian
Loyal
you mean Pacnet is still around? thought they are long gone already by now. is Cybernet and Swiftnet still around too? and remem Catcha the Yahoo wannabe ?

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... is Cybernet and Swiftnet still around too? and remem Catcha the Yahoo wannabe ?
cyberway la ... kena makaned by starhub loong time ago oredi ...

never heard of swiftnet ...

catcha boasted ipo ... never saw lite of it ...

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

My first ISP was Pacific, email account was with them, till Cyberway( Starhub) came along, then it was Cyberway, using Eudora as client. Then came Hotmail, Yahoo etc. ...
,me oso started wif pacnet ... den oso open a/c wif cyberway ... but stil kept pacnet a/c ... ...

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

,me oso started wif pacnet ... den oso open a/c wif cyberway ... but stil kept pacnet a/c ... ...

It would be interesting thread about the old days of the Internet, when we got started, it was Pacnet, cyberway, singnet..then we have to pay $50 licence remember a year!.

There was no free email account yet, we have to use email client, mine was Eudora, I stuck with it until they closed down, then Hotmail came along..wow! & then Yahoo!...Yahoo mail..don't forget AOL...Internet browser Netscape..then I.E. search engine Alta Vista..what else I forgot already...and chat..IRQ, used to chat till 4am then sleep, then go work...

Sammyboy was over at delphi forums... ha ha ha :biggrin:

eErotica69

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

This was the email from their CEO. Tell f**king long story, but never go straight to the point!!

Pacnet should have just emailed me and tell me that their services will be terminated in 2 months and I should find alternative email.

KNNBCCB Pacnet!

TS thanks for the info. Upz you 22 points!

========================================================================================
15 October 2012

To Our Valued Customers,

As a valued customer of Pacnet I would like to inform you of some important changes we are making in order to build the strongest Pacnet possible, while aligning us more closely with our customers and enabling us to serve you more effectively.

Earlier today we issued a press release announcing a proactive strategic plan to create a more nimble and competitive organization. While we are already a market leader and a gateway into Asia Pacific’s vibrant markets, we are commencing several new initiatives that will result in a number of benefits to Pacnet and, more importantly, to its customers. To efficiently carry out these initiatives and maximize their benefits, we will leverage the well-known Pacnet brand, our valuable set of assets, and our strong underlying business.

First, we are fine-tuning our commercial approach and will focus exclusively on the carrier and enterprise markets. This will enable Pacnet to deliver more effective solutions to help our customers meet their unique business needs and objectives.

Second, we will reinvest in our business to provide customers with additional solutions as their business needs grow and evolve in the Asia Pacific region. We are forming a dedicated Managed Services Unit that will introduce a wide range of new services such as full data management, virtual hosting, and security products. We are also investing aggressively in data centers, Content Delivery Solutions, and Cloud Services.

Third, we are implementing an industry leading operating model that will enable us to provide a superior customer experience. All of our efforts will be focused on delivering the very best products, solutions, and service to our customers.

These changes will strengthen our partnership with you and help us realize our vision of becoming Asia Pacific’s leading provider of integrated network and technology solutions for enterprise and carrier customers. Our objective is to make our customers’ lives easier every day and we are committed to delivering on that promise.

We will do our best to keep you informed as various components of our strategic plan are implemented. A copy of the press release can be found on our website at www.pacnet.com. If you have further questions, please contact your respective Pacnet sales representative.

In conclusion, we want you to know how highly we value our partnership with you and your company. The relationships we enjoy with our customers are critical for our future success and we thank you for your continued support.

Sincerely,

Carl Grivner
Chief Executive Officer

Last edited: