• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Overwhelming % of Rich Kids Do Better in Schools! NO BRAINER!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Better performers
'Let us not deny the obvious. Being able to afford private housing gives students a statistical edge over the average HDB dweller.'
MR VISAKAN VEERASAMY: 'At first glance, Tuesday's Parliament snapshot, 'Most top-scoring students live in HDB flats', gives the impression that students who live in Housing Board flats outperform those who live in private housing. But is that so? The statistics given in the snapshot are as follows: About 82 per cent of Singaporeans live in public housing. More than 60 per cent of the top 10 per cent of PSLE scorers live in HDB flats. More than 50 per cent of Secondary 1 students enrolled in Integrated Programme (IP) schools live in HDB flats. But the same statistics also mean that while only 18 per cent of Singaporeans live in private housing, they account for almost 40 per cent of the top PSLE scorers and more than 40 per cent of IP school enrolment. Let us not deny the obvious, which is that Singaporeans who can afford to live in private housing end up in better schools. Perhaps these students are more primed to succeed or can afford costly private tuition. I would not hazard to know the reasons. But one reality is immutable, going by the statistics: Being able to afford private housing gives students a statistical edge over the average HDB dweller.'

VeryWise

Alfrescian
Loyal
So what if it is satistically proven that kids from rich families have a higer probability of doing well both academically and socially? I do not deny this as a true fact. I just feel it's pretty pointless to do such comparison, it's like comparing apples to oranges. Given the advantages the rich kids could have over the average kids, it will be really a shame if they can't do well. I must admit even rich spolit-brats could achieve more that some average joes. But what is the author trying to prove? If he's trying to prove that rich kids can do better, why state the obvious? Or is he trying to say, we should all aim to stay in private housing so our next generation has a higher chance to score top marks in exams and in careers?

How about average joes like me who can only imagine living in condos and bungalows? Am I destined for the low life and being a lesser mortal? Is not being rich a crime or a punishment? I still earn a decent living though I am not if I would be replaced be "more able" FTs when I am older. At the least, I do contribute to the country a little by making up her social fabric. Rich or poor, we are all Singaporeans. We should help one another.