• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Overpriced Internet Access in Peesai!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>StarHub profit up 3% despite user cutbacks
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Chua Hian Hou
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->STARHUB, Singapore's No. 2 telecommunications company, managed to lift its first-quarter profit by 3 per cent to $82.5 million, despite cutbacks by mobile and broadband users.
The rise was aided by lower corporate taxes and an uptick in the company's highly profitable corporate Internet business.
Revenue was down 0.8 per cent at $530.6 million.
The downturn, according to chief executive Terry Clontz, has resulted in 'lower levels of usage in a few services, as some customers cut back'.
Mobile users are 'watching their usage and choosing to use less...domestic minutes and IDD (international direct dialling) services', he said.
Chief operating officer Tan Tong Hai said residential broadband has also taken a hit, as users 'downtrade for lower-speed packages and opt for direct discounts rather than premiums'.
Nonetheless, he said, 'the diversity of our product portfolio has helped to stabilise our revenue base'.
StarHub's bottom line also got a boost from lower taxes: It paid $18.9 million, $1.7 million less than what it paid in the same period last year.
Mr Clontz said StarHub's star performer was the highly profitable corporate data and Internet service segment, which chalked up a 13 per cent rise in revenue. He expects this business to do even better once the national broadband network is completed by 2012.
StarHub has access to about 800 buildings within the business district. Once the new network is up, it will be able to sell Internet services to companies in about 23,000 buildings.
'We are licking our chops to get at this market, which only the incumbent (SingTel) has access to right now,' he said.
Mr Clontz also sounded an upbeat note about the company's operating company contract win.
The contract awarded by the Government to install equipment directing Internet traffic on this new network comes with the right to sell access to it as well, especially to niche players like online video-gaming firms. This, he said, is a great opportunity since this segment is not very well-served now.
StarHub's biggest challenge, though, will remain the larger economy.
While 'we believe that our infocommunication services remain essential to customers, we expect that there will be some further softening of demand', said Mr Clontz. Earnings per share stood at 4.82 cents from 4.7 cents a year earlier. Group net asset value was at 11.5 cents per share as of March 31, up from 6.3 cents as of Dec 31. StarHub declared a dividend of 4.5 cents a share, the same as the previous year.

scoopdreams

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seriously speaking, our internet access fees are very reasonable if you compare to other countries like the States, UK, or Australia.

Be glad they have not institute a bandwidth metering plan... yet.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Seriously speaking, our internet access fees are very reasonable if you compare to other countries like the States, UK, or Australia.

Be glad they have not institute a bandwidth metering plan... yet.

I think for the same price those living in the cities you mention are getting faster connection speeds than Spore, for the same price.

As a Singnet customer there is an issue with reliability. I access webinairs on a daily basis & sometimes interruptions can be very bad, can see my PC trying to reconnect to the servers again & again & again...

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
U think SG is bad compare the prices to our neighbours up north and south.

Spore is a city state without the large physical area to service.
Gov't monopoly exists so you can bet on monopilistic prices.

I've never been able to achieve the advertised speed. I'm not alone in this as many forummers can verify this. Add to this unexpected dropping of connection, slower than normal speeds, poor service,...:rolleyes:

Indonesia has lousy infrastructure & you have to pay alot more for internet connection. It is after all still a 3rd world nation. I've used the internet cafes in LOS & it must be cheap since I only paid $2/hr, but they are also a 3rd world nation.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Good & fast internet connection is now part of the equation in the global economy. If the PAP wants to charge premium pricing, its no wonder why e-commerce is losing out to other countries.

So even if we have 1st world network, which we don't. The price must be affordable if people are going to be encouraged to exploit it for business.