• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Overcrowded MRT Has No Room for Disabled!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Special section that says: 'Give up your seat for the disabled'
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I AM writing to share my concern for people like me with impairment who travel on the MRT.
When I was able-bodied, I found the MRT one of the best public transport systems in the world because I did not notice the problems faced by those with impairment. But SMRT did, by building lifts, floor signs for the sight-impaired and priority seats for senior citizens and the disabled. Furthermore, there are special rates for senior citizens during off-peak hours. SMRT has done well.
On my travels recently, I have noticed that we have to make known the plight of impaired people to fellow commuters. On the train, I found many commuters tired and closing their eyes to enjoy the comfort of the train but they lack concern for the disabled. I see, especially, those seating in priority seats for seniors and the disabled. May I make the following suggestions?
Paint priority seats red to distinguish them.
Or put a bell and light above the seat so that, when a disabled person needs it, he can press a button and an able-bodied passenger will give up his seat.
This will add cost, depending on the number of cabins in a train.
So to save cost, here is another suggestion. Reserve one or two cabins (depending on demand) stating, 'Give up your seat for the disabled'. When the train stops at the station, these cabins will stop in a reserved position with signs, 'For disabled people' (as at taxi stands). All commuters are allowed to use this position but should give up their seat when the need arises. So all present priority seats in other cabins can be replaced with normal seating. Make it a point that disabled people assemble in the reserved position. It would be good to make it nearest the lift for convenience, but not to inconvenience able-bodied commuters in a rush.
This suggestion should apply at all times because sometimes disabled people have to make medical appointments during peak hours. (Some doctors are present only on certain days and at certain times.) Foo Ming Tong

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
disabled on wheelchairs should have free rides by having their wheelchairs attached with ropes to the back of the MRT and pull along.

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
Its more like every man for himself mentality and also due to our culture and upbringing. Every person has that herd mentality, they don;t think or act like humans.

It is similar to taking the MRT in Shanghai, it is just a transport system for any one; regardless if your able or disabled it serve only one purpose of moving people. with the influx of FT here, social graces is even more lacking in public transportation now.

Comparatively to Hong Kong with a much faster pace of life there, it is the opposite. Perhaps its due to the culture and educational value that they do see the need for the disable in society. In Singapore, everything is just Talk and No Action.

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe, in contrast to other countries which have added in a lot of safety measures to help the handicapped, and not having to face criticism for it, shows how much we have to go.

When we deny handicapped people, or make them feel very difficult in using public transport, it fails us as a people, as we have no consideration whatsoever.

After all, these were built with taxpayers' dollars. And handicapped people who work are also taxpayers. So if facilities built by taxpayers money should be enjoyed by all, then everyone including handicapped taxpayers must enjoy it. Absolutely.