• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Over 200 SAF jerry cans found dumped in Bukit Panjang forest

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can also find these jerry cans in every Metal Slug games too! They fill up my Metal Slug vehicles!

http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,207789,00.html?

Fuel on the hill
Over 200 SAF jerry cans found dumped in Bukit Panjang forest
By Zaihan Mohamed Yusof

July 15, 2009

NP_IMAGES_ZYCAN-66Y.jpg

CAN FIND: TNP reporter Zaihan Mohamed Yusof among two big piles of jerry cans. TNP PICTURES: MOHD ISHAK, ZAIHAN MOHAMED YUSOF

IT WAS a sight you just could not ignore.

In the middle of a forest in Bukit Panjang, off the Kranji Expressway, more than 200 jerry cans sat in two big piles, with a few strewn around as well.

The dark green plastic containers appeared similar to those used by the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) to store fuel.

Nature enthusiasts had spotted them, though nobody we spoke to seemed to know who had left them there or why.

But the fuel containers eventually got the attention of the Ministry of Defence (Mindef), which ordered their disposal last week.

One trekker, Mr Lim Keng Seng, said the area used to be a Chinese village.

The jerry cans, found beside disused wells and crumbling aluminium sheds, seemed to back up his story.

NP_IMAGES_ZYCAN-UBB.jpg

Jerry cans were loaded onto a lorry last week.

Said Mr Lim, 42: 'I don't recall this area as a military training ground. It's a mystery why they (the jerry cans) ended up here. It's just a waste because some of them (the jerry cans) still look new and can be used.'

Mr Lim said he had noticed the jerry cans in January.

Covered by rotting leaves and moss, they remained partially hidden from view.

There were no signs warning people against trespassing into the forest.

Some of the cans had been discoloured from exposure to the sun, while those at the bottom of the heap seemed relatively new.

The plastic jerry cans all had the word 'POL' on their sides, which suggested that they were intended for petrol storage.

While most of them were empty, some gave off the faint smell of fuel when the caps were removed.

Near the bottom of the jerry cans, serial numbers and a sign which said 'Mindef Property' were embossed.

Some people looking for durians in the area were unaware of the jerry cans.

But brothers Derrick and Vincent Seah had seen them. The two durian pickers said it was best to avoid the pile of jerry cans.

Said Mr Vincent Seah, 26, currently jobless, who was worried about forest fires: 'You can't be sure whether there is some fuel in the jerry cans.'

Malaria

His younger brother, on the other hand, was more concerned with malaria.

With some of the jerry cans' lids unscrewed, rainwater could enter, making them conducive for mosquito breeding, said Mr Derrick Seah, a gym trainer.

He had screwed shut some of the jerry cans and emptied those with water in them.

Said the 24-year-old: 'This area is prime durian territory. If there's a malaria outbreak here, then we will all lose out.

'It's best if the authorities remove them from the forest.'

And that was what Mindef did.

After being shown the site by The New Paper last Monday, a small team took photographs and assessed how the clearing-up of the jerry cans should be done.

Two days later, a group of men were seen removing the jerry cans from the forest and loading them onto a lorry.

Mindef said in a statement: 'The SAF disposes of condemned items such as jerry cans through private contractors. Mindef has removed and disposed of all the jerry cans found in the Bukit Panjang area, and is investigating the matter.'

One durian picker saw this as a missed business opportunity.

Said the 39-year-old driver, who gave his name only as Mr Asmat: 'I could have sold the jerry cans to a karung guni man.

'If I sold each jerry for 50 cents, I would have had enough money to buy myself good durians, instead of waiting under this tree.'

Char_Azn

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
But the fuel containers eventually got the attention of the Ministry of Defence (Mindef), which ordered their disposal last week.

Probably the disposal company wanted to cut corners and use the easiest and cheapest way of getting rid of them. Just dump it anywhere. I seriously doubt the average NS men would dare do something like this

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stores for multi-force (SPF / SCDF / SAF) defence exercise that were pre-dumped at the wrong location because of miscommunication? SAF uses MGR; SCDF and SPF use lamp-post number and they got the numbers mixed up?

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Stores for multi-force (SPF / SCDF / SAF) defence exercise that were pre-dumped at the wrong location because of miscommunication? SAF uses MGR; SCDF and SPF use lamp-post number and they got the numbers mixed up?

It is an HONEST MISTAKE..let us move on...!:biggrin: maybe it was requisitioned by MSK for his 'battalion' assault exercise, code name "wks".:rolleyes:

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
When they count everything up there'll be two missing - the two used by MSK to make the floatation device to cross the Straits of Johor!

It is an HONEST MISTAKE..let us move on...!:biggrin: maybe it was requisitioned by MSK for his 'battalion' assault exercise, code name "wks".:rolleyes:

mscitw

Alfrescian
Loyal
Mindef swines probably blame their contractors for inept disposal (probably some dirty hanky panky is swelling in Mindef).

jw5

Loyal
Jerry cans are very useful for collecting and storing rain water.
Why complain?