• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Online Only - MP had no empathy

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Letter from LAWRENCE LOH KIAH MUAN
Updated 10:07 PM May 13, 2009

It started with Member of Parliament (MP) Seng Han Thong being set on fire. Then came MP Denise Phua who was threatened by a rag-and-bone man. Recently, MP Cynthia Phua was subjected to a display of violence by a constituent.

Although these incidents are disturbing and a cause for concern, I wonder whether the constituents are solely to be blamed.

Allow me to relate my personal experience.

In February 2001, my older son died in a naval accident whilst serving National Service. In that year, my younger son was due for enlistment. A friend, a very active grassroots member, suggested that I approach my MP, for help in exploring the possibility of getting an exemption for my younger son. I was reluctant but he went ahead to fix an appointment for me at the Meet-The-People Session (MPS). I subsequently relented and he accompanied me there. It was in March 2001. That was my first appearance at a MPS, and it was to be my last.

I waited until midnight before I could meet the MP. Prior to this, he was given the case paper which detailed the objective of the meeting and the circumstances of my case.

When I entered the room, his first remark was “Yes, what can I do for you?”. There was no attempt at offering a word of sympathy or condolence. I then related my situation and said that both my wife and I were very traumatised.

His next remark “What traumatic, after two months, you won’t be traumatic?”. With that, I decided to end the meeting. And with that, my respect for him hit ground zero. I was too stunned and grief-stricken to react. Someone who was less-controlled and less-measured than me could have flown into a rage and become violent.

MPs are elected or appointed to serve the constituents. People who attend the MPS are those who have real problems and need help. In a lot of instances, they are stressed, distressed and troubled. What they need is a caring soul, a helping hand, a gentle voice, and words of hope and encouragement. To dispense these, MPs need good interpersonal skills and a high EQ. Arrogance, a patronizing, chiding and belittling attitude, aloofness and lack of empathy will only trigger acts of rashness and violence. Many of our politicians have a high IQ, some are scholars. However, a high IQ is not the only attribute needed in a political career. A high EQ is equally, if not more critical, especially when it comes to dealing with the constituents.

In my case, I would have felt good if my MP could have been a warm and caring person. If he could have been empathetic, consoling and helpful. All these qualities can only come from the heart, not from the mind.

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/E...-no-empathyLetter-from-LAWRENCE-LOH-KIAH-MUAN

commoner

Alfrescian
Loyal
for those living in Potong Pasir, when CST has seen better days, you can see him walking around on normal days, not just MPS, friendly and approachable, and I heard LTK is about the same,,,,,,,

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
I found another forum letter written by the same person...in ST forum on 16 Jan 2006.

PRIME Minister Lee Hsien Loong and Ms Ho Ching's manifestation of humility, as described by Mr Lionel De Souza in his letter, 'Day I witnessed PM and wife's humility' (ST, Jan 12), is certainly awesome and refreshing.

This contrasts with my own experience in December 1999 when my late son was enlisted.

In the same intake were the sons of a government minister, an MP and a former MP.

The moment we arrived at Pulau Tekong, a few instructors asked frantically who the minister's son was.

As we were ushered into the auditorium for the briefing by the school commander, the minister introduced his son to the commander.

Then, as we queued for the buses to ferry us to the cookhouse for lunch, a military vehicle pulled up and whisked the minister, his wife and son away, probably for lunch elsewhere.

I could see the look of envy on the faces of many enlistees and their parents, including my son, who happened to be a good friend of the minister's son.

When it was time to leave Pulau Tekong, we had to queue to get through the turnstiles.

A few military personnel cleared a path for the minister, the MP and the former MP and their wives, hence avoiding the queue.

The experience left me, and I am sure many others, with an extremely poor impression.

Lawrence Loh Kiah Muan

http://straitstimes.asia1.com.sg/for...65140,00.html?

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

It started with Member of Parliament (MP) Seng Han Thong being set on fire. Then came MP Denise Phua who was threatened by a rag-and-bone man. Recently, MP Cynthia Phua was subjected to a display of violence by a constituent.

Although these incidents are disturbing and a cause for concern, I wonder whether the constituents are solely to be blamed.

Allow me to relate my personal experience.

In February 2001, my older son died in a naval accident whilst serving National Service. In that year, my younger son was due for enlistment. A friend, a very active grassroots member, suggested that I approach my MP, for help in exploring the possibility of getting an exemption for my younger son. I was reluctant but he went ahead to fix an appointment for me at the Meet-The-People Session (MPS). I subsequently relented and he accompanied me there. It was in March 2001. That was my first appearance at a MPS, and it was to be my last.

I waited until midnight before I could meet the MP. Prior to this, he was given the case paper which detailed the objective of the meeting and the circumstances of my case.

When I entered the room, his first remark was “Yes, what can I do for you?”. There was no attempt at offering a word of sympathy or condolence. I then related my situation and said that both my wife and I were very traumatised.

His next remark “What traumatic, after two months, you won’t be traumatic?”. With that, I decided to end the meeting. And with that, my respect for him hit ground zero. I was too stunned and grief-stricken to react. Someone who was less-controlled and less-measured than me could have flown into a rage and become violent.

MPs are elected or appointed to serve the constituents. People who attend the MPS are those who have real problems and need help. In a lot of instances, they are stressed, distressed and troubled. What they need is a caring soul, a helping hand, a gentle voice, and words of hope and encouragement. To dispense these, MPs need good interpersonal skills and a high EQ. Arrogance, a patronizing, chiding and belittling attitude, aloofness and lack of empathy will only trigger acts of rashness and violence. Many of our politicians have a high IQ, some are scholars. However, a high IQ is not the only attribute needed in a political career. A high EQ is equally, if not more critical, especially when it comes to dealing with the constituents.

In my case, I would have felt good if my MP could have been a warm and caring person. If he could have been empathetic, consoling and helpful. All these qualities can only come from the heart, not from the mind.

http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/E...-no-empathyLetter-from-LAWRENCE-LOH-KIAH-MUAN

Warm and caring doesn't come from a sinkie.

I already state here in this forum many times, sinkies are good for nothing and if you go and ask for help, it is a waste of time. They just simply do not know how to behave like a real human being.

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many of them are not here to serve the community. It is more for a good resume and stepping stone to earn more money after that if they dun become Minsiter.

Warm and caring doesn't come from a sinkie.

I already state here in this forum many times, sinkies are good for nothing and if you go and ask for help, it is a waste of time. They just simply do not know how to behave like a real human being.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
The experience left me, and I am sure many others, with an extremely poor impression.

When was the last time LKY did a walk about :confused: As an elder statesman he is the example junior MPs emulate :mad:

When the MPs lock themselves in their ivory tower, counting their pay instead of keeping touch with the ground, you get all these problems. :rolleyes:

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
When was the last time LKY did a walk about :confused: As an elder statesman he is the example junior MPs emulate :mad:

When the MPs lock themselves in their ivory tower, counting their pay instead of keeping touch with the ground, you get all these problems. :rolleyes:

And what did the rest of the sinkie do? Can you guess?

MarrickG

Alfrescian
Loyal

My suggestion would be to vote based on the MP that would be serving your estate instead of looking at the whole team being offered (for those in GRC). This is a fairier way and would make the political parties reconsider who they want to include in the team.

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
My suggestion would be to vote based on the MP that would be serving your estate instead of looking at the whole team being offered (for those in GRC). This is a fairier way and would make the political parties reconsider who they want to include in the team.

You must be joking. USing a fair way for a sinkie? YOur sinkie courts isn't fair in the first place.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal
Seen this syndrome in some social workers and NGOs and interestingly among those who hold senior positions. They are so used to hearing and handling such cases that their senses become numb. They actually believe that they have the moral fortitude to make decisions and cast opinions after seeing hundred of cases and think that few others can do the same..

These people should be euthanised and removed from society altogether.

]

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
You must be joking. USing a fair way for a sinkie? YOur sinkie courts isn't fair in the first place.

yaeh CB Kia tonychat,

thailand is the bestest..

the thai peasants listen to their king's instructions machiam some royal decree.. reminds me of Qin Shih Huang:oIo::oIo:

or maybe the thai ppl either too stupid, or too obedient.. or obediently stupid.:oIo::oIo:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

They are so precioussssss, that, you lesser mortals, have to stand kilometers away from them, for they are so scared now, to get BURN, PUNCHED, THINGS THROWN AT THEM...!!

They will have a phalanx of 'romans centrions' before & after them, when they do their walkabouts.

My other generations used to teach me when I was young, if you have not done any harm to anything...you can walk in daylight, as well as nightfall......

can the PAP Mp's do this?:p

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
Hello Tony, you really have no friends in BKK har? keep coming here and whining like a sinkee - I haven't seen a person whine for so long. Geez, please go and get a life in Thailand. There is so much for you to discover there.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Many are gone, some already leaving, others planning to leave, ..., gov't servants fear for their jobs, there are of course some who actually support the PAP especially the older generation.

I have doubts if the PAP really have 66% support. I think they have done alot of fixing. :rolleyes:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... When I entered the room, his first remark was “Yes, what can I do for you?”. There was no attempt at offering a word of sympathy or condolence. ...
ah lawrence ...

u cum 4 wat? ... if u din cum, me can go home early ...

end of mth, count my million $ salary, me so happy ...