• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Old Fart New Fetish: Arabs! Free Scholarships?!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Saudi students drawn to Singapore
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Nidaa Abu-Ali
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
ST_IMAGES_SAUDI.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Saudi Arabian students (from left) Roaa Barashi, 23, Ruba Melibary, 24, and Ghadeer Melibary, 23, are studying in Singapore. Some 60 Saudis came here in three batches between last year and early this year. They were drawn by the high global rankings of Singapore's universities and the widespread use of English. -- ST PHOTO: WANG HUI FEN
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->Mr Jihad Gari gave up a good job as an operations manager in a big corporation back in Saudi Arabia to come here three months ago.
His mission: To pursue a master's degree in industrial engineering.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>Acceptance important
'I chose a country where I would be comfortable in, where Muslim women wearing the veil are accepted. I enjoy being in a country that has a large Muslim community. There are mosques everywhere in Singapore.'
MS ROAA BARASHI, 23, who hopes to get a master's in management information systems

Understanding Singlish
'When I arrived eight months ago, it was difficult to understand Singlish. But after a while, I started to adapt to the accent and even know a couple of Singlish words now.'
MR MOHAMEMD BAJUNAID, who is studying accountancy at Singapore Management University

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>'I want to invest in myself and return to my country with a higher degree,' said the 27-year-old, who is here with his wife and one-year-old daughter.
He is now closer to his goal, having recently completed an English course at the British Council. His wife is learning English too, and she hopes to secure a master's degree in information systems.
The couple hold scholarships from the Saudi government.
They are among the wave of Saudi scholarship holders who are heading East, eschewing the traditional route to the United States and Britain. Many are motivated by the rising power of Asian nations like China.
Some 60 Saudis came here in three batches between last year and early this year, drawn by the high global rankings of Singapore's universities and the widespread use of English.
The students are aged 18 to 27. Many are women accompanied by a spouse, brother or male relative.
Riyadh has also set up cultural offices in several Asian countries to support its students. The one here opened in August last year.
The Saudi cultural attache here, Dr Abdul Ghaffar Ba Zuhair, noted that before the office opened, there were only 14 Saudi students here.
He said Singapore's family-friendly environment is a big draw, as is the similarity between Asian and Middle East cultures.
'There is less of a culture shock. Religious freedom is also an important factor,' he added.
Ms Roaa Barashi, 23, who hopes to get a master's in management information systems, said: 'I chose a country where I would be comfortable in, where Muslim women wearing the veil are accepted. I enjoy being in a country that has a large Muslim community. There are mosques everywhere in Singapore.'
Ms Roaa is here with her brother Faris, 19, who wants to pursue an engineering degree. They are currently studying English at the British Council.
But many Saudi students find housing rents here high. They said their scholarships are not enough to cover living expenses and they need support from their families.
Then, there is also the matter of coping with Singlish.
Said Mr Mohamemd Bajunaid, who is studying accountancy at Singapore Management University: 'When I arrived eight months ago, it was difficult to understand Singlish. But after a while, I started to adapt to the accent and even know a couple of Singlish words now.'
Nidaa Abu-Ali is a research assistant at the Middle East Institute in Singapore.

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont understand, Arabs are very rich and yet still want to give them free scholarships for what? Why must PAP kept wasting tax payers money and gave free scholarships to people who themselves are filthly rich enough to support themselves for Universities???

Why dont gave the free scholarships to local Singaporeans who really wants to study but did not have the money for it???

I hope one day that our LKY scholarships gave to one of the Arabs students which one day will turned out to be a terrorist that kills innocent people, then that day I will want to see how our PAP government are going to face this problem.