• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Oh Boy! Old Man changes dictionary definition once again!!

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
Main Entry:
as·sem·bly
Pronunciation:
\ə-ˈsem-blē\
Function:
noun
Inflected Form(s):
plural as·sem·blies
Etymology:
Middle English assemblee, from Anglo-French, from assembler
Date:
14th century
1: a company of persons gathered for deliberation and legislation, worship, or entertainment
2capitalized : a legislative body ; specifically : the lower house of a legislature
3: a meeting of a student body and usually faculty for administrative, educational, or recreational purposes
4 a: assemblage 1 b: assemblage 2
5: a signal for troops to assemble or fall in
6 a: the fitting together of manufactured parts into a complete machine, structure, or unit of a machine b: a collection of parts so assembled
7: the translation of assembly language to machine language by an assembler

By Dato from Malaysiakini

I refer to the letter ‘Singapore not as bad as portrayed‘. It looks like the writer is certainly a Singaporean and needs, like all people of every country, to protect their nation’s image.

Granted what he says about every country not being perfect, but he should not, like the better or rather more affluent Singaporean, push under the carpet what is very obvious that poverty and trying to earn a living in Singapore for a lot of people is difficult.

It is this need to ignore, explain and turn their heads away arrogantly that allows this group of people living in poverty to continue to suffer.

Let’s not kid around, all countries of any repute provides basic medical attention, and Singapore is not different, but when it comes to expensive treatment or special treatment, I think he should get his facts right, because the hospital will not dish this out for free. Instead I know of many folks who have been turned away just because one member of the family earns SGD1,500 and this disqualifies them from many social services help, like disabled needs, autistic people getting treatment and so on.

There are also many poverty-stricken blocks of apartments, notorious for their people who live in abject poverty in rat holes they call apartments. Two, maybe three small rooms, and when we say small, trust me, it is small.

I now ask the writer to explain the existence of the ‘Karang Guni’ people and the location they operate in near Sim Lim tower. Maybe he can explain to us Malaysians what is ‘Karang Guni’.

To me their existence only means that poverty exists and openly, as otherwise the government should ban this shocking culture. In many countries they are known as “scavengers” who get their stuff from dumps, throwaways and so on, and then sell them.

So tell us, the ‘Mahathir Malaysians’, a little more about Singapore. Tell us how Lee Kuan Yew bankrupts the opposition, rather then throw them in jail. Tell us why one person protesting is considered an assembly? Tell us about the famous JB Jeyaratnam who died practically in poverty, a few months after settling his bankruptcy payments.

Admit your country’s shortcomings. Just go to some of the Mcdonald’s outlets and you will wonder why Singaporeans, in their 60s and 70s, working there, doing cleaning jobs. I was told it was to keep them busy, but in reality, they need the job to survive.

In Malaysia, we are turning things around with regards to poverty. Our poverty eradication programmes, NGOs and many organisations are doing a good job.