• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

OG: >20 students sit-in protest at Yale-NUS College campus over school administration

micromachine

Lieutenant General
Loyal
uBWuqL3.png
20180310-sg-yalenus-letter-data.jpg

source: Ch8 news

mojito

Alfrescian
Loyal
Silly kids. McDonalds raising prices of menu got ask for customer opinions or not? Blacklist those troublemakers from govt and glcs and let them fast track into adulthood here in sg! :cool:

ChanRasjid

Alfrescian
Loyal
This Yale-NUS thingy is as silly as an idea could be. If you want a Yale, go to Yale! Don't expect a Yale in Singapore. Only in China can you find a Yale that is not in Yale.:p There are many, many Yales in China - go there. A 24 hour daytime could only be found in the Artic, not elsewhere.

There is no short cut to success. People will respect a degree from NUS if they think the standard is good. Gimmicks and tricks can only fool some people some of the time. NUS is only as good as what the Singaporean society and its people may give - not better nor worse. :(

eatshitndie

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
This Yale-NUS thingy is as silly as an idea could be. If you want a Yale, go to Yale! Don't expect a Yale in Singapore. Only in China can you find a Yale that is not in Yale.:p There are many, many Yales in China - go there. A 24 hour daytime could only be found in the Artic, not elsewhere.

There is no short cut to success. People will respect a degree from NUS if they think the standard is good. Gimmicks and tricks can only fool some people some of the time. NUS is only as good as what the Singaporean society and its people may give - not better nor worse. :(
this kind of silly arrangements with ivy league universities is to get best brands in u.s. and sell them in sg for a fraction of the total cost. instead of spending $69k per year for tuition alone in u.s. for 6.9 years sinkies spend less for discounted tuition in sg plus the savings in not boarding and living overseas. can board with mommy poppy, live off parents and enjoy services of a household maid. the only major cost is the requirement of a final year stay in yale to satisfy residency and graduation criteria status. it’s like a porsche buyer going to germany to inspect car being individualised and delivered and having it imported to sg as special and super luxury goods. rubber stamp and signatures on a certificate to tell the whole student graduated from ivy league. machiam like $69k herpes birkin bag for $6.9k or $696k lorex watch for $69k sold as genuine fake. in sg for atas generation everything must be branded.

ToaPehGong

Alfrescian
Loyal
I hope they are arrested or "assisting police in their investigation" as they put it. Our multimillionaire government had done it again. Importing liberal minded education system only to regret it by implementing regulations that only suppressed Singaporeans are willing to follow. Long live PAP

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Strikes are illegal in Singapore. I hope the SOF and the red trucks were deployed to ruthlessly crush this illegal protest. The students should be beaten down with truncheons and tasers before bring brought in for questioning. I hope the armour battalion is also standing by to reinforce local police in case the protests get out of hand.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Strikes are illegal in Singapore. I hope the SOF and the red trucks were deployed to ruthlessly crush this illegal protest. The students should be beaten down with truncheons and tasers before bring brought in for questioning. I hope the armour battalion is also standing by to reinforce local police in case the protests get out of hand.

You mean to quell the protest ala TianAnMen style?

Reddog

Alfrescian
Loyal
This is similar to the invasion of the Language Centre by students of a university in HK. They failed their Chinese language exam and demanded that they be allowed to graduate. Insulted faculty members and refused to leave. All recorded on TV.

This NUS Yale gang is doing a repeat. Wrong country. I think university authorities should just sack these trouble makers less others will emulate their unlawful demonstration. After sacking them, they should be appropriately charged, jailed and deported (for foreigners).

PretenderSam

Alfrescian
Loyal
I thought protests in Singapore are illegal? :eek::eek::eek:

You are absolutely correct. BUT it is our good ,smart ministers , mostly scholars ,
who decide whether to take action or not. This case is not deemed to be threating
to the survive of the prestigious , honest and altruistic PAP and the country , so no action is taken.

Do you understand how our clean Singapore work now ?

maxsanic

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 3 stated demands strike me as more juvenile attention seeking than any substantive grievances:

#1: Do monthly town halls regardless of whether there's anything on the agenda in order to know who the key decision makers are and any changes to policy - this doesn't strike me as very productive. Policy changes don't happen every month, so it seems the students just want a monthly get together chit chat session and maybe a platform for them to feedback to the administration. If they just need a platform to vent and/or give feedback, a town hall might do though I have doubts this is the best way. Out of the 3 demands, this is the only one that makes a bit of sense.

#2: This is just trying to play union politics, probably agitated by certain vested student interest groups. All universities in Singapore are based on a commercial framework - You pay your school fees and we offer you a product (courses and certification). You happy you stay, not happy fuck off. They can sit till their butts rot on the ground, but there isn't going to be any compromise on this.

#3: Most moronic of all, an old liberal chestnut of having an inclusive "honour code" which is just another expression of a senseless feel good / high & mighty slogan that nobody intends to follow. If this sort of bureaucratic rubbish works, we would have seen a strong correlation between organizations that have such codes and the morality of their members. The fact that there is still no conclusive data all over the world that shows this is a daily confirmation of how shouting moral slogans don't work.

greedy and cunning

Alfrescian
Loyal

u talk and talk ,
u should round up all grass-loot members , form a task force to arrest those students.