• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

NS For Sg Very Survival, But FTRash Exempted

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>While getting all the freebies that could have given to NSmen? Wanna talk cock also must know limit mah!

Sep 5, 2008
NATIONAL SERVICE
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>It's not a debt, but for our very survival
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to Mr Yong Yin Min's letter last Saturday, 'NS not a debt citizens must repay', and the Bugge family story ('Give up citizenship? Brothers must do NS first', Aug 25).
It is disheartening to know there are still people who do not know the purpose of national service (NS). I have the feeling they think it is nothing more than a debt to society and perhaps learning to march.
The Ministry of Defence should reinforce the message that NS is to create and maintain a credible deterrent and fighting force ready to defend our country, family, way of life and livelihood. To do this, every able-bodied man counts. We already face a shortage.
It seems there are people in Singapore who think that, simply by paying money (taxes), their able-bodied sons can live peacefully elsewhere while their neighbours' sons in Singapore are called to arms in time of conflict. No amount of money can buy the life of someone. How do you reconcile fighting for a family who lives in Singapore but whose sons refuse to fight to defend their family in Singapore? Looks like we'll have to do it for them. We will, of course, but something is not right here. For the Singapore Armed Forces to remain a credible fighting force, our citizen soldiers must be expected to fight with unshakeable conviction and belief and pride that we are all in it together for the sake of not only our country but also our families. Wars have been lost and won because of morale alone.
If the situation of citizens 'buying' or scheming their way out of NS worsens, our fighting men would become patsies to those who refuse to fight but are prepared to live off the blood shed by others. The law must punish defaulters to underscore the importance of national defence. This is to maintain the will to fight, and to assure every soldier we are all in this together and his role is invaluable. There must always be a glaring distinction between those who are able-bodied and willing to stay and fight or play some role, and those who are able-bodied but plan to do nothing. In this regard, there must be an 'us' and a 'them'. This is the core of the spirit of national solidarity, pride, and commitment to Singapore which must never be shaken but reinforced and inculcated, even in new citizens. Journeymen need not apply.
Our citizen soldiers must never be seen as patsies to anyone. Their willingness to fight for our country must be held in distinctive regard. NS is not a debt to society; it is for our existence and survival.
Yap Kwan Szu <!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start -->

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
For the Singapore Armed Forces to remain a credible fighting force, our citizen soldiers must be expected to fight with unshakeable conviction and belief and pride that we are all in it together for the sake of not only our country but also our families. Wars have been lost and won because of morale alone.

One group is expected to sacrifice so that the rest can benefit. How does that motivate and boost the morale our citizen army to fight with unshakeable conviction and pride?

rodent2005

Alfrescian
Loyal
One group is expected to sacrifice so that the rest can benefit. How does that motivate and boost the morale our citizen army to fight with unshakeable conviction and pride?

It does not but who gives a damn? What can u loser sinkees do? Even if they increase NS to 4 years and reservist to 20 years, what can you do? What *will* you do? Throw PAP out? That's a laugh!

eeoror88

Alfrescian
Loyal

Singapore males must do NS because all are pampered !! Do NS to toughen them up. If not, all sissies !!

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
the problem is not just NS in itself, but the kind of society NS bring about. Eg, if a company pay low wages , it is not the low wages that kill the company , but the flight of talenst from the company.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
It does not but who gives a damn? What can u loser sinkees do? Even if they increase NS to 4 years and reservist to 20 years, what can you do? What *will* you do? Throw PAP out? That's a laugh!

Everybody kind of take NSmen for granted and think that it is their god given right that NSmen should sacrifice for them, without any appreciation from their hearts.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sinkies are forced to fight, nothing to do with willingness

Yes to being force to be the digits of SAF and make it looks big. But fight with their lives for the purpose of scrapping 3 meals, many may choose to be deserters and start life in another country after having taste first hand the brutality of war.

AvalanCh3

Alfrescian
Loyal
when i look at my camp regulars and officers, i would tell myself that if a war where to come. i would shoot him first before running away or those hay brain regulars would send us out to die to save their ass.

chinkangkor

Alfrescian
Loyal
when i look at my camp regulars and officers, i would tell myself that if a war where to come. i would shoot him first before running away or those hay brain regulars would send us out to die to save their ass.

What you've just said sound so familiar to me....

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal

Save it, all operational ready NSMen (from all ranks) knows the First Bullet Rule in times of WAR; it is reserved for a purpose. When desperation situation comes, we know who will be the first to die before the rest die defending the cuntry.:cool:

That is why there is so much diplomacy wayang going around as if an actual war breaks out; what remains of the SAF can be alarming.