• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

No to frivolous snaps of womb

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>No to frivolous snaps of womb
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I REFER to last Saturday's article, '3D snapshots from the womb'.
While I am all for the use of 3D or 4D ultrasound to detect foetal abnormalities, I read with dismay about the increasing number of pregnant couples who sought 3D ultrasound photos and videos of their unborn child without any firm medical indication. I object to the frivolous use of 3D scans for purely social reasons, for example to see what the foetus looks like, for the following reasons:
Animal studies suggest some degree of chromosomal disturbance in the prolonged use of intense ultrasound waves;
3D scans, using ultrasound wave intensities much more powerful than in 2D scans, have not been used long enough for possible adverse long-terms effects to be apparent in the unborn child;
Unnecessary scans drive up medical costs for society; and
This whole practice of social scanning smacks of consumerism, with no medical benefit to the patient.
Although the potential risk to the unborn child is small, no one can guarantee that, years down the road, there may not be an increase in conditions like Alzheimer's disease or behavioural problems with excessive ultrasound exposure. I therefore urge all pregnant women to seriously consider the potential hazards of 3D scans before asking for these scans to be performed when there is no medical indication. Dr Gordon Tan
Consultant Obstetrician and Gynaecologist
Gleneagles Medical Centre