• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Ng Geak Yeong: Spur It's just like applying for a job

Porfirio Rubirosa

Alfrescian
Loyal
Spur: It's just like applying for a job
06:35 PM May 27, 2009
Letter from Ng Geak Yeong

I refer to "Retrenched need the help ...now" (May 27) from Mr D M Samy.

I would like to share what I found out when when I made enquiries about a training course under the Skills Programme for Upgrading and Resilience (Spur) scheme. It was a sponsored baking course, with an intake every four months. However each intake has only 14 vacancies, and a few thousand applicantions. In addition, those shortlisted have to undergo four interviews before they are offered the course.

I am sure those professionals who are out of job will be more confident about their readiness to make a career change. However under ‘this pick and choose’ way of selecting people for retraining, the unemployed face "competition" of another kind.

I am disappointed that the Spur scheme has become another means to recruit the more talented jobseekers instead of it as an opportunity for the retrenched to gain another skill for a living.