• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Nanbeh Singapore A Shangrila!!! You believe???

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
What is Happiness?

By Dr Wong Wee Nam
01 November 2011

What is happiness?

To a Buddhist monk, the cause of suffering is ignorant craving. To Aristotle, it is something more tangible. According to him, “The masses take it to be something plain and tangible, like pleasure or money or social standing. Some maintain that it is one of these, some that it is another, and the same man will change his opinion about it more than once. When he has caught an illness he will say that it is health, and when he is hard up, he will say that it is money.”

As there are more masses than monks in Singapore, it is no wonder that people are pre-occupied with the idea of becoming rich and the government is obsessed with economic growth. Happiness, it seems, is about money.

Thus, if you are to contest an election in Singapore and speak like a monk, you are unlikely to get elected.

The subject of happiness was brought up at the opening of the new Singapore Parliament recently.

During a debate at this session, the Minister for National Development, Mr. Khaw Boon Wan, recounted his visit to Bhutan. He told the House that Bhutan is not Shangri-La on earth.

In fact, according to Mr. Khaw, the Bhutanese probably envy Singapore. To them, “Singapore could well be Shangri-La and they want Bhutan to emulate Singapore.”

That was Mr. Khaw’s view. Unfortunately I don’t share it.

I don’t think Bhutan wants to be a Singapore. Tourism can certainly bring in a lot of money into the country but they also know that tourism can ruin them culturally and environmentally. Because of this, they are determined not to go that route. They are not prepared to allow the pursuit of the dollar to ruin their country. So how could they want to emulate Singapore where economic growth is everything and welfare is frowned upon?

Nepal is an equally beautiful country. Yet, has tourism brought more happiness to the Nepalese than the Bhutanese?

When Bhutan wants to learn about our healthcare system, it is not because it wants to start a healthcare industry because it sees it as an engine of growth and wants to promote medical tourism. It probably wants to learn how it could provide better health care, out of compassion, for its poor and the sick. I don’t think it wants to adopt a system where the poor find it hard to cope with expensive medical costs and resources are diverted to treat the rich and the foreigners.

According to the WHO, economic growth in Bhutan, while essential, is not an end in itself, but is one among many means of achieving holistic development.

In his speech, the minister further added that the Bhutanese are not a happy lot of people that we generally thought they were. Of his experience, Mr. Khaw told us, “But most of the time, I saw unhappy people toiling in the field, worried about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products.”

I do not know how the minister came to the conclusion that these people are unhappy. It reminds me of Zhuangzi’s famous fable.

Zhuangzi and Huizi were strolling along the dam of the Hao Waterfall when Zhuangzi said, “See how the minnows come out and dart around where they please! That’s what fish really enjoy!”

Huizi said, “You’re not a fish — how do you know what fish enjoy?”

Zhuangzi said, “You’re not me, so how do you know I don’t know what fish enjoy?”

Huizi said, “I’m not you, so I certainly don’t know what you know. On the other hand, you’re certainly not a fish — so that still proves you don’t know what fish enjoy!”

Zhuangzi said, “Let’s go back to your original question, please. You asked me how I know what fish enjoy — so you already knew I knew it when you asked the question. I know it by standing here beside the Hao.”

【原文】
庄子与惠子游于濠梁之上。庄子曰:“儵鱼出游从容,是鱼之乐也?”惠子曰:“子非鱼,安知鱼之乐?”庄子曰:“子非我,安知我不知鱼之乐?”惠子曰:“我非子,固不知子矣;子固非鱼也,子之不知鱼之乐,全矣。”庄子曰:“请循其本(3)。子曰‘汝安知鱼乐’云者,既已知吾知之而问我。我知之濠上也。”

In other words, Mr. Khaw is not a Bhutanese, so how could he have known how they feel? It is just his perception and it is not necessarily correct.

Singapore is a materialistic society and Bhutan is a country where the people practise Buddhism as a way of life. It is not easy for any Singaporean to experience the contentment that the Bhutanese feel.

This is because we are running all our lives, searching for economic growth and money to find happiness. Even politicians want to be paid extremely well so that they can serve the country without having to grumble that they are poorly paid.

On the other hand, the farmer might have seen things differently. Like the monk Thich Nhat Hanh*, he might have said, “I look at the cows. I look at the hay. I look at the nice fields. I feel closely connected. I see the hay as the milk, the yogurt I eat in the morning, also the cornfield. I see the link between everything. The cow is the mother to me. You drink the milk from the cow; you have an umbilical cord between you and the cow, and the sunflower and the hay.”

So why are we comparing ourselves with Bhutan? Are we trying to say “Look we are so much better off and we should be so much happier than the Bhutanese”? By comparing, would that make us happier?

The happiness of a people is not increased or reduced by comparing it to another country. It does not make an unhappy person happy by just asking him to look at a person who is worse off. Each country and its people have their own unique circumstances. The government should find out what makes a citizen unhappy and try to find a solution to it.

For example, people are unhappy about housing. Why are they unhappy? This is because the price is ridiculously high. While it benefits the government to have high property prices, it is depriving the younger Singaporeans the chance to own a home and it also makes life expensive for everyone. When high property prices push up rentals, the business costs must be reflected in the goods and services and must ultimately be passed on to the consumers.

In the end, not only have we to deal with high mortgages, we have to pay more for daily necessities. Ultimately, it is the lower income group, the housewives, the students, the unemployed, the retirees, the aged and the sick who are going to suffer the most, trying to keep up with the cost of living.

As the biggest landowner in Singapore, this is not a problem that the government cannot address. It only takes political will.

Another example is people’s unhappiness with employment and income. While money may not buy happiness, it is necessary in order to achieve a higher standard of living, better quality of education, healthcare and housing. Of course people are unhappy when their wages are depressed by import of cheap foreign labour or their jobs taken over by cheaper foreign workers. Increasing the GDP in this manner does not improve the lot of the people affected nor boost the happiness index. The government can do something about it.

It does not matter whenever Bhutanese are a happy or unhappy lot. It has no bearing on our own people’s happiness. What we expect of a government that is paid to do the job is to find out what we are unhappy about and do something about it.

The Dalai Lama said, “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.” Similarly, if we want Singaporeans to be happy, the government must practise compassion. A compassionate government means compassionate policies. Compassionate policies mean bringing more warmth and kindness to the citizens so as to make their lives happier.

* Thích Nhất Hạnh is a Vietnamese Buddhist monk, teacher, author, poet and peace activist who now lives in France.

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
To Mr. Khaw Boon Wan, What did you expe

(This is in reply to National Development Minister Khaw Boon Wan of Singapore on his comments made on our country )

Dear Mr. Khaw,

I was not surprised when you said Bhutan is not the last Shangri-la on Earth, because I had a friend from your country who found Bhutan only "full of mountains and valleys". When you visited Bhutan, what did you expect? Those flying mountains you saw in Avatar? or Every Bhutanese merrily dancing in designer clothes? Well, you must have at least expected fancier cars and taller buildings but we only have taller mountains (not flying ones) and thicker forest (truly natural).
I am not surprised even when you said "Most of the time, I saw unhappy people, toiling in the field, worried about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." because I heard a proverb in school that goes, "Two men looked through the prison window, one saw the m&d and other saw the horizon". I am only surprised that you have spend "Most of your time" in Bhutan looking in the fields. I am amazed at your ability to figure out whether the people are happy or unhappy just by looking at them- O' you even knew they were "worried about the next harvest". No wonder you country export human resources.

The Man who didn't find happiness in Bhutan. Source:channelnewsas

I visited your wonderful country sometime ago, and it felt like a city from the future. The transportation system held me spell bound, Cleanliness of the street is so much that I didn't find a fragment of dust on my shoes after walking for the hours, Every building and car looks new, and there is no question about the civic sense among the people. Four days after I landed in Bhutan I woke up and started sharing the stories of your wonderful country- yes it took me four days of sleeping to shake of the hangover of many sleepless nights in your 24X7 country. I read the amazing history of your country and thought to myself, if Bhutan's to develop, Singapore can be our vision.

But since you questioned the presence of happiness in Bhutan, let me answer by telling you few things that you overlooked when you visited my country. Those people you saw in the fields weren't unhappy, if you have gone closer you would have heard them singing and enjoying the social lives, perhaps you won't understand that. If you have spent a little longer time watching them, you would have seen and a woman with basket on her back and holding arms with several children coming with steaming food- we don't have McDonald or KFC. Then everybody will sit down to eat their lunch, laughing and joking, feeding babies, for over an hour- you wouldn't have had so much time to sit and watch I know, times means money in your country. But we have luxury of time. People don't worry "about the next harvest and whether there would be buyers for their products." In fact, we don't do much commercial farming, we do most of them to keep with the tradition. And when the sun sets, doesn't really matter what time, people leave for their homes where they have a large family waiting. Large family because we don't chase away our children when they become 18 or children cast away their parents when they age.

We don't need Health Insurance to survive, no have to go for Education Loan for educating our children. We don't hang the drug users, we counsel them to hang on to their lives, we don't have to have a job to survive, and when we fall sick even the furthest cousin comes to attend without having to update Facebook status.
If you reread our history you will find that our wise kings have hidden us from the outside world so that we could remain the way we are today. If we start mining our mountains and lumbering our forests, we can become Singapore in a year but no matter what you do you can never become Bhutan. It is far too difficult. We shall be the last breath of oxygen on earth.

Bhutan may not be the Last Shangri-la but we are happy.

ByPaSsuat

kopiuncle

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
why must we always talk big and say bad things about other people. i go butan now i surely kean whacked! i plaln to go there.but now change my mind. better safer to limkopi here in singapore's shangrila. kopicow!!!!!!!!!

Cruxx

Alfrescian
Loyal
why must we always talk big and say bad things about other people. i go butan now i surely kean whacked! i plaln to go there.but now change my mind. better safer to limkopi here in singapore's shangrila. kopicow!!!!!!!!!

Sinkies full of 小人 - people who are insecure and constantly worrying that others are better than him. Can't even afford a lil respect for other countries/cultures. It's like a frog in the well sitting comfortably at the bottom and laughing at the other frogs that are climbing arduously to get out of the well to see the world.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset
Should be "Nahbeh" not "Nanbeh".

"Nahbeh" is short for "Ning Nah Buh Eh......etc etc".

The language skills in this forum are so seriously lacking that I have to correct Hokkien as well as English.....:eek:

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Should be "Nahbeh" not "Nanbeh".

"Nahbeh" is short for "Ning Nah Buh Eh......etc etc".

The language skills in this forum are so seriously lacking that I have to correct Hokkien as well as English.....:eek:

You can correct Hokkien for all I care. Correcting English is not something you are qualified to do simply because you are no native speaker of the language.

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You can correct Hokkien for all I care. Correcting English is not something you are qualified to do simply because you are no native speaker of the language.

Of course I am. My mother tongue is ENGLISH.

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
If this is true of what a minister from Sg commented in public, you guys should review how your ministers are selected. Oh, I forgot, they're selcted via a democratic process.

Sorry.

Cheers!

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have a serious case of anglophilia. You need therapy.

Mother tongue when used in this context refers to the language spoken at home when one is growing up. I wonder if Mandarin is the actual mother tongue of 80% of Sgns, more likely Hokkien, or Singlish.

Cheers!

Leongsam

Admin
Asset
You have a serious case of anglophilia. You need therapy.

I'm simply stating a fact. I have no admiration for the English whatsoever. The country is pathetic. The weather is horrible. The inhabitants are ugly and they smell almost as bad as the Ah Nehs.

"Mother tongue" refers to the language spoken at home when I was growing up. It wasn't Chinese. It wasn't Tamil or Hindi. It wasn't Malay. It wasn't French, German, Russian, Spanish, etc. It was plain old ENGLISH spoken as it was on the BBC at the time. I never had the opportunity to learn proper Singlish. I was out of the country for too long during my formative years. I've picked it up along the way but I think it's a sorry mangling of both English and Chinese. It should be banned.

Windsor

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Thank you for bringing this up. A very good thread indeed and brings us down to earth and reflect on our personal lives.:cool:

dredd

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking solely English at home does not make you a native speaker. Many Indians, Filipinas, Nigerians.... also speak only English at home and gre up with no other language. No one has the authority to correct English unless he or she is qualified to do so. The English language itself evolved from many other languages so many linguists now think there is no wrong or right way of speaking English. As long as it is understood, the language has served its purpose. Keep with the times man!

My English or American friends will happily contend too that they are in no position to correct anyone's English, lest you who I believe is a "chink" trying to be otherwise.

Forvendet

Alfrescian
Loyal
Speaking solely English at home does not make you a native speaker. Many Indians, Filipinas, Nigerians.... also speak only English at home and gre up with no other language. No one has the authority to correct English unless he or she is qualified to do so. The English language itself evolved from many other languages so many linguists now think there is no wrong or right way of speaking English. As long as it is understood, the language has served its purpose. Keep with the times man!

My English or American friends will happily contend too that they are in no position to correct anyone's English, lest you who I believe is a "chink" trying to be otherwise.

You're right. Many Singaporeans speak only English at home. But that's not their native language. At least one of your parents must be already native English speaker first to begin with. Singaporean Chinese parents speaking English, or should I say pretending to speak English, to their children doesn't make it their native language. They do it not for inherent culture. They do it for the perceived commercial value after threee or four generations of English speaking world dominace with the British Emprire followed by US and UK winning two world wars. But I must say, there's nothing superior culturally or linguistically about being considered native English speaker. It's just something hereditary that one happens to be born with. Just like native Chinese speakers and native other language speakers.