• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

My mum is living her ambitions through me and it's suffocating.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is common and understandable for parents to want their children to have a better life. If our children do better than us by becoming doctors, dentists, lawyers etc., we will be extremely proud of them. That doesn't mean that we are necessarily living our dreams through our offspring.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Gosh! A toxic mother! Unbearable situation whenever you have that type of mother.

I advise anyone to cut off their toxic mother and move away asap. You will be a lot happier and saner. Just remember to stuff her into a hospice or old folks home as soon as you have the opportunity.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is common and understandable for parents to want their children to have a better life. If our children do better than us by becoming doctors, dentists, lawyers etc., we will be extremely proud of them. That doesn't mean that we are necessarily living our dreams through our offspring.
There's a difference between letting your child study medicine because he/she has always wanted to be doctor, and forcing him/her to study medicine because you never had a chance to go to medical school and you want to fulfill your dreams through your child. The latter is what we call vicarious achievement and is extremely toxic and unfair to the kid.

I know a friend who forced to do medicine by her father; she went through the motions, passed exams, and quit being a doctor the moment she graduated.

End of day, let your child do what they want, and encourage them to do the best in their chosen field. When you're doing something you like, you'll generally do it well and be happier doing it.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
There's a difference between letting your child study medicine because he/she has always wanted to be doctor, and forcing him/her to study medicine because you never had a chance to go to medical school and you want to fulfill your dreams through your child. The latter is what we call vicarious achievement and is extremely toxic and unfair to the kid.I know a friend who forced to do medicine by her father; she went through the motions, passed exams, and quit being a doctor the moment she graduated.End of day, let your child do what they want, and encourage them to do the best in their chosen field. When you're doing something you like, you'll generally do it well and be happier doing it.
I never believed that it is possible to force one's child to do anything against their will - especially when it comes to their course of study in university, career or who they date or marry.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I never believed that it is possible to force one's child to do anything against their will - especially when it comes to their course of study in university, career or who they date or marry.
It is possible, trust me. Many Asian parents have done it using various means - emotional blackmail, guilt tripping, withholding funding for tertiary education.

As for marrying, Lee Wei Ling was forced to annul her marriage to her Sri Lankan professor husband because LKY objected. She remained a spinster for the rest of her life.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is possible, trust me. Many Asian parents have done it using various means - emotional blackmail, guilt tripping, withholding funding for tertiary education. As for marrying, Lee Wei Ling was forced to annul her marriage to her Sri Lankan professor husband because LKY objected. She remained a spinster for the rest of her life.
I don't wish to be mean, but was there ever a man who was physically attracted to Lee Wei Ling?
300px-Lee_Wei_Ling.jpg

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yes there was. An indian boy who the racist LKY refused to allow her to marry.
I believe that no adult offspring will ever forsake the love of their life because of parental pressure. My friend refused to give his blessing for his 29-year-old daughter to marry her BF because he appeared to lack ambition i.e. he works as a private tutor with just a few students. However, he and his wife didn't try to sabotage the wedding. They just expressed their concerns with his ability to support their daughter financially.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I believe that no adult offspring will ever forsake the love of their life because of parental pressure. My friend refused to give his blessing for his 29-year-old daughter to marry her BF because he appeared to lack ambition i.e. he works as a private tutor with just a few students. However, he and his wife didn't try to sabotage the wedding. They just expressed their concerns with his ability to support their daughter financially.
You're naive. I've know couples who broke up their engagement because the bride's parents threatened to disown her. IN India if you marry outside your caste or religion, you risk getting murdered (honor killing).

Don't impose your personal beliefs or practices or others. Takes all kinds to make the world.

As for why Lee Wei Ling would want to annul her marriage on grounds of her father's racist objection, you go ask her. He may have made certain 'threats' that we plebeians have no idea of.

True Believer

Alfrescian
Loyal
You're naive. I've know couples who broke up their engagement because the bride's parents threatened to disown her. IN India if you marry outside your caste or religion, you risk getting murdered (honor killing). Don't impose your personal beliefs or practices or others. Takes all kinds to make the world. As for why Lee Wei Ling would want to annul her marriage on grounds of her father's racist objection, you go ask her. He may have made certain 'threats' that we plebeians have no idea of.
I am not naïve, but I have never come across such cases among my relatives and close circle of friends. You should not ASSUME because you will just make an ASS of yourself when you do.

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal
I am not naïve, but I have never come across such cases among my relatives and close circle of friends. You should not ASSUME because you will just make an ASS of yourself when you do.
Your relatives and friends do not represent the world. That is a fact, not an assumption, twit.

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
The boy chickened out after LKY had a few words for him.
You want to put on knuckledusters and take on LKY at the cul-de-sac?