• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Msian FTrash Siam Accoutability Till Like This!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>If not from the ang moh reporters, one would not have known these appalling cases.

Dengue risk from donated blood 'very, very low'

</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Dhany Osman

</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan has said the risk of contracting dengue from donated blood is 'very, very low'.
He was answering media inquiries yesterday about a report in the New England Journal Of Medicine that said three Singaporeans had contracted the dengue virus after receiving blood that was tainted.
The blood came from a 52-year-old donor in July last year.
The report said the three were later discharged from the National University Hospital in good health.
'We have been aware of the possibility of dengue being transmitted through blood transfusion,' said Mr Khaw, who was at the opening of Phase 2 of Admiralty Park.
Unlike other viruses like HIV, he explained, there are no commercially available kits to test for dengue.
The next best option is for doctors to screen potential donors to ensure the safety of the blood collected.
This is the 'only practical way to handle this' until commercial testing kits become available, he said.
On the safety of Singapore's blood supply, he said: 'Whatever we do here, all other blood banks are doing the same thing.'
He added that the concern over safe supplies was one reason commercial blood banking did not work out.
'When you're buying and selling blood, you tend to attract people who are desperate for money,' he said, explaining that such donors could falsify their medical history in order to sell their blood.
'That's why, all around the world, there's been a switch to voluntary blood banking. That's the only way to protect the safety of a blood bank,' he said. <!-- end of for each --><!-- Current Ratings : start --><!-- Current Ratings : end --><!-- vbbintegration : start --><!-- vbbintegration : end --><!-- dennis change request 20070424 : start --><!---Google ad - Start : Sun, 5 Oct 2008 03:04:43:867---><!-- AdSpace STI Google ad tag --><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://ads.asia1.com.sg/js.ng/site=tsti&pagepos=20&size=10X10"> </SCRIPT>

<HR color=black noShade widht="90%" height="1"><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://adimage.asiaone.com.sg/2005/google/a1_google.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT> window.google_render_ad(); </SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=JavaScript1.1 src="http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/ads?client=ca-sph_js&dt=1223192589968&hl=en&adsafe=high&oe=utf8&num_ads=5&output=js&correlator=1223192589965&channel=asiaone&region=default&ea=off&frm=1&ga_vid=785614972.1223192590&ga_sid=1223192590&ga_hid=1174883479&flash=9.0.124.0&u_h=1200&u_w=1920&u_ah=1140&u_aw=1920&u_cd=32&u_tz=480&u_his=77&u_java=true"></SCRIPT>

snrcitizen

Alfrescian
Loyal
'We have been aware of the possibility of dengue being transmitted through blood transfusion,' said Mr Khaw, who was at the opening of Phase 2 of Admiralty Park.
Unlike other viruses like HIV, he explained, there are no commercially available kits to test for dengue.

So as the highest paid minister of health in the world, all he does is to sit tight, twiddle his thumbs and wait long long for someone else from another country to develop a commercial kit to test for dengue.

What a lame excuse for not doing his job after being exposed by a foreign medical journal.

1sickpuppy

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not sure if any of you guys out there believe me but I got a similar case happen to me also. During my army days I got a leg operation due to a training injury. The operation went smoothly and I was told I use 2 bags of blood for the operation. After the operation I notice something funny everytime I eat shellfishes like crabs, prawns and clayfish I started to itch all over. Before that operation I never encounter such problems. I went to a doctor friend and told him about my condition and he told me maybe the person I receive the donated blood has an allergy towards shellfish and since I received his blood my body start to adopt that allergy too :(