• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Mrs Ku: Teach How to Use Condoms in Schs!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Sex education for young needs a revamp
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->PREVENTING sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) among the young has been around for years as a topic, but young Singaporeans between the ages of 18 and 29 are still the least informed.
Recent reports pointed out that many people in this age-group have been diagnosed with STDs and the response generated has been to promote abstinence.
How about giving more information to teenagers rather than trying to only enforce abstinence? Sex education from parents and teachers is in dire need of a revamp.
Most students today are latch-key children, while those who are not, tend to spend their time outside the home more than before.
This leaves the teachers with quite a large amount of time with secondary school youngsters who are experiencing puberty.
With the mass media as accessible and informative as it is now, it is the parents' and teachers' jobs to reach out to the teenagers to provide sufficient information about sex. Simply promoting abstinence is unrealistic.
Information on sex should cover the scientific knowledge of male and female reproductive organs. When I was in secondary school, I recall a teacher who told us to read about them in the textbook as he was too shy to teach it.
Imparting the maintenance of good hygiene for both sexes and explaining how the various contraceptives work are also important.
In many countries, teachers demonstrate the correct use of a condom, while male and female students are given condoms to learn in class how exactly to use it.
This open-door policy of sex education will allow everyone to be comfortable with asking questions when they need help and develop healthy ideas about sex, rather than regard it as something that is shameful or illicit.
Parents should do their part at home as well, explaining the subject to their children when they are young and keeping the channel of communication open.
It is irresponsible of teachers, parents or society to simply promote abstinence, yet turn on one another or the young adults when they are found to be least informed on sex and suffer from STDs.
If no one will educate the young, then who will?
Silvia Cormont-Ku (Mrs)

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
I agree with the letter writer. Expecting teenagers to abstain from sex is the height of idiocy. You make the fruit forbidden by harping on abstainence. Don't they know the fundamentals of young peoples' pyschology?!? Forbidden fruit tastes the sweetest.

Saving yourself for marriage really just tells the young people that, amongst other things, only when you are in love can you have sex. And which young lovers don't think that they are madly in love and will spend the rest of their lives together?!?!?

angry_one

Alfrescian
Loyal
I know when Jewish families take wine for their meals, the adults will let the kids have a bit, mixed with water. When something is familiar and accessible, it ceases to be craved. Knowing that sex is no big deal, and debunking all its myths is very important to prevent bad sex practices.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
It is irresponsible of teachers, parents or society to simply promote abstinence, yet turn on one another or the young adults when they are found to be least informed on sex and suffer from STDs.
If no one will educate the young, then who will?

honestly, sex education should be taught at an early age, i reckoned that the development of sexual awareness actually begins at a tender age of about 4 or 5... when the boys start figuring that their penis must serve a certain function when it starts becoming uncomfortable during an erection and so on... and the girls figured they don't have that extra appendage...

sex education should rightly start from the family, but are the parents willing to broach on this matter? are they equipped with adequate knowledge to guide their small ones? stop kidding ourselves and saying our kids are still angels at the age of 10~12. they probably know more about sex than the adults, and very much want to experiment with it. last i recalled, Singapore had our youngest mother at the age of 9. think about it.

SneeringTree

Alfrescian
Loyal
Boys should learn how to put on a condom. Why should girls learn how to do that, unless they are training to become pros.

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Boys should learn how to put on a condom. Why should girls learn how to do that, unless they are training to become pros.

bro,

both guys AND girls should learn how to put on the condom and the femdom :p

doesn't mean the girls learn then they have to be pros, it is to protect themselves against STDs, just in case if their partners are clueless about it.

zack123

Alfrescian
Loyal
Does she mean something like this? :wink:

How about adding on a higher skill by using mouth to put on condom.

I remember previously in my younger days and quite green. Went to visit a pro and after a heavy session she suddenly sat on my lil brother. I thot "Oh no! She did raw" I pushed her aside and saw that I had a cover on oredy. She realised what I was thinking and then showed me how she did it. I felt that it was good as the session was uninterrupted for condom fixing time....those were the days

Sideswipe

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
dqkemc.jpg
25uqruu.jpg

essential items for sex education. :cool:

angie II

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
i can f88king bet with u dat no sinkie gal will dare pose like dat...
gahmen or MDA will take it down... :rolleyes: