• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More young people becoming mediums

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>21237.7 in reply to 21237.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>More lucrative than being a white/blue collar slave in FTrash-infested Peesai lah! Donch expect this to last long as it's a matter of time FTrash invades the temples!</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - More young people becoming mediums</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>metalslug84 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Sep-17 10:42 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 7) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>21237.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>http://www.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20090918-168537.html
Fri, Sep 18, 2009
my paper

20090918.113752_myp_jamie_koh_medium.jpg

More young people becoming mediums

[REVERED: Miss Delia Sng, 27, is the Chwee Hean Keng temple's resident medium.]

MORE young people here have become mediums in the last decade, veteran temple administrators said.

Believers say that mediums serve as messengers for deities.

About seven in 10 practising mediums here are in their 20s and are often blue-collar workers, said Taoist Federation (Singapore) chairman Tan Thiam Lye.

Prior to the year 2000, he had not seen a single medium, known as dang kee in Hokkien, belonging to this age group.

Practitioners are growing younger as more youths are getting involved in temple activities, Mr Tan explained.

He added: "Ten years ago, there'd be just over 10 old folk tending a temple. These days, there can be over a hundred youngsters organising a single temple event."

This is a result of efforts by Taoist temples to get more young people involved in their activities in recent years, he said.

pic1.jpg

Taoist priests Chung Kwang Tong (Wei Yi)
and Kang Xinqi are part of a team of more than 10 priests, mediums, temple leaders and Taoist federation representatives who are putting together a booklet to warn devotees against rogue mediums. Master Chung is also the administrator for the Taoist Federation (Singapore) and secretary-general of the federation's youth group.

pic2.jpg

Properly Taoist rituals are carried out in public areas, as Priest Kang Xinqi demonstrates at the Lorong Koo Chye Sheng Hong Temple. Master Kang is the chief priest at San Qing Gong temple.

pic3.jpg

[(L-R) Master Liu Peihua, 20, a Taoist priest and third-year infocomm student at Temasek Polytechnic, Master Chung Kwang Tong - better known by his Taoist name, Wei Yi, who has been a priest since 2003, when he turned 18 and Mr Chin Kwee Yong, 18, who is waiting to enter polytechnic and will be ordained as a priest in May. ] Full-time Taoist priest who is 22 with diploma in multi-media

pic4.jpg

Delia Sng is a 27-year-old part-time medium who works on the Shui Xian Temple grounds in the rest of her time.

pic5.jpg

Bai Mei Hui, Hong Kong-based getai veteran who declined to reveal her age or years of experience, and was only willing to say she's been singing since she was 12.

pic6.jpg

Mr Chung Kwang Tong, 24, an administrator at the Taoist Federation and secretary-general, Taoist Federation Youth Group.

pic7.jpg

A temple Taoist medium-priest during a ritual.

pic8.jpg

Taoists priests leading the rites for some of the more than 1,500 young devotees, in the Koo Chye Ba Sheng Hong Temple San Qing Gong Taoist temple in Bedok North Ave 4 on Sunday (Sept 21). The students were celebrating Chinese sage Confucius' birthday and part of the festivities included praying for good grades in studies.

Photos: TNP, my paper, Zao Bao

Mr Tay Boon Ho, 68, temple keeper of Chwee Hean Keng in Zion Road, agreed. He said: "I see a lot more young dang kee these days taking part in temple processions."

But mediums aged below 19 are very rare, said Mr Tan. This is because parents would usually plead with the deity to let their children grow up first.

Believers said that, typically, mediums are "picked" by deities to represent them through repeated supernatural encounters.

Their status is sealed once another medium confirms the mandate, and they receive a "decree" - a triangular satin flag - from the Jade Emperor or the Emperor of Tai Shan, said Taoist master Jave Wu, 30.

Young mediums have come under the spotlight recently as a coroner's inquiry found that self-styled medium Ku Witaya and his friend, both aged 16, had killed themselves in the belief that they were going to save the world.

[email protected]

For more my paper stories click here.

READ MORE
- Deity 'picked her' to be medium
- Telling mediums apart<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>​

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>metalslug84 <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Sep-17 10:45 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (2 of 7) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>21237.2 in reply to 21237.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>http://news.asiaone.com/News/AsiaOne%2BNews/Singapore/Story/A1Story20090918-168539.html
Fri, Sep 18, 2009
my paper

20090918.062142_medium_myp.jpg

Deity 'picked her' to be medium

by Rachel Chan

ONE moment, she was chatting with friends while she was on a swing; the next, she awoke, bewildered, to a crowd gathered for a seance in a temple nearby.

Friends told Miss Delia Sng, then 19, that she had been in a trance for 30 minutes, talking and acting like the deity Marshal Hong Fu, whom the Chwee Hean Keng temple in Zion Road venerated.

Regular temple-goers said that the Shang dynasty war hero picked her to replace the temple's former medium, who had died three months earlier.

At first, the alumnus of a convent secondary school dismissed this as a farce.

But, eight years on, the Taoist convert is the 102-year-old temple's resident medium, or dang kee, channelling the deity weekly to resolve disputes and heal ailments.

It is a far cry from her days as a rebellious teenager.

When Miss Sng had her first encounter with the deity, she resisted being "recruited" because she was sceptical.

But, six months later, she ran into trouble with the law for getting into fights, and struck a deal with the deity: she would turn over a new leaf and become his medium, in return for coming under his aegis.

Miss Sng, now 27, looks nothing like a medium, with cropped bleached hair and colourful tattoos. When she's not at the temple, she helps her mother at a food stall selling fish-head soup.

But those she has helped are so grateful that they treat her like a deity. Once, a diabetes patient fell to the ground, clasped her feet and said that he had seen her in his dreams, with light radiating from her head.

She said: "Knowing that I have a special ability to help people gives me a lot of satisfaction.

For more my paper stories click here.
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<CENTER>
ho-ching-2009-7-29-3-10-3.jpg

I am also a medium. I connect Singaporean's hard earned money to a black hole and make their money vanish.</CENTER>

SamuelStalin

Alfrescian
Loyal
Love the Taoist priests' traditional Chinese customes. Very, Wudang haha.

Better than those annoying spastic Christian street preachers and recruiters :oIo:(may they die by the Jihad) anytime :smile::smile::smile:

drifter

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
those young punks sure knows that religion can bring in $ for them :smile: smart move .

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
ho-ching-2009-7-29-3-10-3.jpg

Shhhh! Cant you see I am in deep meditation?

I am trying to get a sign from heaven on which stocks or funds to buy high and then sell low.

So dont disturbed me! Ok?