• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More than 1,600 blood donors honoured at celebrations

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/435728/1/.html

By Cheryl Lim, Channel NewsAsia | Posted: 13 June 2009 1748 hrs

phpg4JwW3.jpg

Photos 1 of 2

Mr James Law

Video

SINGAPORE: More than 1,600 blood donors were honoured on Saturday at the World Blood Donor Day celebrations in Singapore.

About 10,000 blood donors and their families turned up at the event which was held at the Jurong Bird Park.

The Singapore Red Cross also celebrated its 60th year by launching the Red Cross Medal for Life Award to mark the contribution of blood donors who have made more than 200 donations.

Among them was champion blood donor, James Law, who was the first to receive the award.

The 61-year-old said: "Well, I've been doing it for so long, I've gotten used to it already. It's a habit. It's something that I can do to help people, so why not?"

World Blood Donor Day is celebrated annually to thank blood donors and to create wider awareness of the importance of blood donation and the need for safe blood.

- CNA/so

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_390351.html

Record blood donations
By Victoria Vaughan

jameslaw.jpg

Mr Law is the first recipient of a Medal For Life award, given on Saturday by the Singapore Red Cross for having donated more than 200 times. -- PHOTO: ZAOBAO

WHAT began as a way to get a bit of shut-eye during army basic training turned into a life-long habit of blood donation.
Mr James Law, 61, has now given blood a total of 217 times, more than any other donor in Singapore.

He is the first recipient of a Medal For Life award, given on Saturday (June 13) by the Singapore Red Cross for having donated more than 200 times.

Mr Law did not set out with such lofty ambitions.

The bachelor first gave blood when he joined the army in 1968 and the mobile blood bank came visiting one day.

'I didn't know anything about blood donation all. We were in between exercises in camp and they rounded us all up and told us that those who wanted to go and donate blood would be given half a day's rest.'

That was reason enough to put his hand up. However, the retired captain and civilian IT systems administrator for the military has not rested when it comes to giving blood.

Read the full report in Monday's edition of The Straits Times.