• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More seek contract work

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
More are more Singaporean jobseekers getting conned into jobs which offered a limited years contract...

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381358.html

More seek contract work
Professionals less picky as jobs become scarce amid recession: Poll
By Fiona Chan

b17-1.jpg

AS THE recession continues to erode the job market, it is changing the rules of the employment game.

Contract-based work is getting more prevalent as companies look to slash costs and individuals get less picky about their jobs, according to recruitment agencies.

A recent survey by recruitment consultancy Robert Walters found that professionals in Singapore were showing 'an increased interest in taking on contract work', with as many as a third of the respondents happy to do so in the dismal economic climate.

Fifty per cent of them would consider contract work if no permanent positions were available, said Robert Walters.

This was in stark contrast to the job-rich years leading up to last year, when job seekers shunned such non-permanent positions, the consultancy said.

'During the boom times, many candidates were reluctant to take on contract roles, as there were many permanent opportunities available,' said Mr Calum Smith, a consultant at Robert Walters.

'With the current economic conditions and the shrinking of the job market, we noted that they have become less picky and more open to considering contract work.'

Financial recruitment firm Robert Half said it had also witnessed more job seekers expressing an interest in contract work because of the 'tight' job market.

Although the positions are temporary, they provide an opportunity for unemployed professionals to earn an income, make new contacts and improve their resumes, said Robert Half's managing director Tim Hird.

'What starts off as a project role may also turn into a permanent position,' he said.

Read the full story in Monday's edition of The Straits Times.

Last edited:

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
The good and bad of contract work
Thinking of taking on a contract-based job? First consider some of the pros and cons:

Pros:

Flexibility for those who like the freedom of working on preferred projects and for different companies

Opportunities to explore new firms and sectors and to learn new skills

Freedom to decide your working periods: you can work for six months and take a three-month break

Cons:

May not get the same level of compensation or an equal range of benefits as full-time employees

Lack of job security as it is the company's decision whether to renew your contract

Possibility of a 'gap' between contracts if you can't find another job immediately after the previous one expires

Sources: Robert Walters, The GMP Group, Mercer

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
Contract work has been on going for many years oredi. It does not offer job security which may be the reason why many people refuse to enter into a marriage, apart from the high rising costs of having a family. :(

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
The good and bad of contract work
Thinking of taking on a contract-based job? First consider some of the pros and cons:

Pros:

Flexibility for those who like the freedom of working on preferred projects and for different companies

Opportunities to explore new firms and sectors and to learn new skills

Freedom to decide your working periods: you can work for six months and take a three-month break

Cons:

May not get the same level of compensation or an equal range of benefits as full-time employees

Lack of job security as it is the company's decision whether to renew your contract

Possibility of a 'gap' between contracts if you can't find another job immediately after the previous one expires

Sources: Robert Walters, The GMP Group, Mercer

You have lost track of time.

Nowadays contract jobs is like any kind of permanent jobs you can find in the market.

Working hours the same, except no overtime pay, no 13th months bonus, no annual bonus, fixed annual leave every year(no increasing), no benefits, nothing.

This is what they called contract jobs. Fully taken advantage of employees. I really dont mind contract jobs if I am a foreigner. No problem, after I saved enough money, I can go back to my country and do a small business or buy a land and grow some vegetables to survived on if I retire.

But the main problem is that I am a Singaporean, I lived here and I die here. I pay CPF, I pay taxes and I pay GST and all kind of shit, and if I take only contract jobs, unless I am single, then still ok for me. But if I am married with children, contract jobs are too little for me.

How do the PAP government expect the Singaporeans to married and give birth like a pig if we are getting a miserable contract job salary? How can I have saving for rainy days or saving for my children education if I am holding a contract job?

potato29

Alfrescian
Loyal
You have lost track of time.

Nowadays contract jobs is like any kind of permanent jobs you can find in the market.

Working hours the same, except no overtime pay, no 13th months bonus, no annual bonus, fixed annual leave every year(no increasing), no benefits, nothing.

no training also, so after awhile u kind of become obsolute and fit to work in HC cleaning tables and toilet only.

Blazars

Alfrescian
Loyal
But the main problem is that I am a Singaporean, I lived here and I die here. I pay CPF, I pay taxes and I pay GST and all kind of shit, and if I take only contract jobs, unless I am single, then still ok for me. But if I am married with children, contract jobs are too little for me.

How do the PAP government expect the Singaporeans to married and give birth like a pig if we are getting a miserable contract job salary? How can I have saving for rainy days or saving for my children education if I am holding a contract job?

Nickers. I believe many pple thinks like you. I am sure to agreed with you. But it looks like our govt is turning a blind eye to this.
!&!!

nickers9

Alfrescian
Loyal
i tink got job better than no job... filling the stomach is the priority... :biggrin:

I totally agree with you, and lucky I am single. And as a single, what you said is true, got job better than no job, filling your stomach is the priority.

But if you are married and with kids, filling stomach is not enough anymore. Yes my kids and wife can eat porridge everyday, but my kids needs to go to school, and needs to go to University when they grown up. Our fcuking PAP government doesnt gives a damn to us Singaporeans. The LKY Scholarships and PAP Scholarships are only given to Foreign Talents and not local Singaporeans.

And if you fall sick and needs to goes to hospitals for treatment and surgery, the hospital bills can mounted up like a bomb. You died of shocked not because of heart attack but the hospital bills you received. When my father stayed in hospital for 2 months, the fcuking bills come up to SGD$30,000. Who the fcuk in this world have SGD$30,000 in their saving account unless that person is a millionaire.

And with contract job, there is no way you can have saving of up to SGD$30,000. I say fcuk the PAP government, they never will understand the hardship of Singaporeans. They(PAP) themselves are drawing millions of dollars every year with tax exemption and need not worry about medical bills.

And they kept importing Foreigners to pushed down our salaries, and not only that PAP also getting these Foreign Talents to take our Singaporeans jobs away.

So is there any suggestion from you all other than migrating out from his shit place?

shOUTloud

Alfrescian
Loyal
frankly, I had been on contract for the past few years. at the end of the day, contract or non contract is really dependent on your own individual ability and network. I known of contract assignments bringing in more $$ than regular job.

nowadays with retrenchment so common, contract or regular all sama sama,

wuqi256

Moderator - JB Section
Loyal
Pretty true, i once worked in a contract job with a British firm, it even covered medical, car park, etc. Basically it covers everything and is a 5 year renewable yearly contract.
The salary was also higher than the peers who were in permanent positions.

The only catch is the yearly renewal where they can choose to continue or not.