• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More foreign talent to help S'pore become better

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
I can testify first hand. My PRC and Burmese restaurant workers are very hardworking and takes initiative to help me boost my business.

My PRC neighbours is super friendly and we leave our dorr keys with each other when we go on holiday to watch over the place

We need more talent to imporve our stock, not some unmotivated loser who plays guitar by the beach and solicits donation even though he has a fully paid HDB flat

Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story
May 19, 2009
Forge integrated community

wong.jpg

DPM Wong Kan Seng said all Singaporeans, native or new, have a significant role to play in forging an integrated community by strengthening community and social bonds in Singapore.

Towards this, a National Integration Council as been formed to harness the collective efforts from the private, people and public sectors, and encourage more ground-up initiatives to integrate Singaporeans where they live, work and in schools, through social and community involvement.

'We will also expand efforts to help those who are interested to sink roots and set up home in Singapore through their naturalisation and integration journey, including making information available to them,' said Mr Wong, who is also Home Affairs Minister, in the addendum of the Prime Minister's Office (National Population Secretariat) to the President's address.

'We will also reach out to them and facilitate their becoming active members of the Singapore community.'

In his address at the opening of the second session of the 11th Parliament on Monday night, President SR Nathan highlighted the potential friction between Singaporeans and foreigners as an area which could put stresses on the Singapore society in trying times.

He urged Singaporeans to welcome these foreigners, who, on their part, need to make the effort to integrate into society here.

Last year, about 20,513 foreigners took up citizenship in Singapore while 79,167 became permanent residents. These figures are an increase of about 20 per cent over the previous year.

In the addendum released on Tuesday, Mr Wong said Singapore needs a sustainable, connected and integrated population in order to survive and thrive.

He added that efforts will continue to engage the more than 150,000 Singaporeans overseas even in these hard times.

'They are a part of our Singaporean family and we we must not neglect them,' said DPM Wong. 'We will continue to extend the outreach of our programmes to engage a wider spectrum of overseas Singaporeans, and strengthen their connection with Singapore.'

Mr Wong also called on Singaporeans to continue to contribute to and deliver the 'Singapore Promise' for themselves and their descendants.