• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More defaulting on nursing home bills

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>More defaulting on nursing home bills
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><TR>Families say they are struggling to support themselves in recession </TR><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Theresa Tan & Melissa Sim
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
c1-1.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

Elderly residents of Ju Eng Home. Several homes say the recession has made non-payment worse. To ensure that defaulted payments do not become bad debts, homes first try to find out why the family is behind in payments. -- ST PHOTO: TERENCE TAN
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->SOME nursing homes are reporting a rise in the number of people defaulting on the bill for their parents' stay amid this recession.
<TABLE width=200 align=left valign="top"><TBODY><TR><TD class=padr8><!-- Vodcast --><!-- Background Story --><STYLE type=text/css> #related .quote {background-color:#E7F7FF; padding:8px;margin:0px 0px 5px 0px;} #related .quote .headline {font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size:10px;font-weight:bold; border-bottom:3px double #007BFF; color:#036; text-transform:uppercase; padding-bottom:5px;} #related .quote .text {font-size:11px;color:#036;padding:5px 0px;} </STYLE>'THEY DRIVE BIG CARS BUT REFUSE TO PAY'
SOME Singaporeans are using the recession as an excuse to avoid paying their parents' nursing home bills - even though they look like they can afford to, say the operators of these homes.

Take, for example, a man who claimed his business had failed and then, for three years, did not pay the Ju Eng Home for Senior Citizens, which was looking after his elderly mother.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The Straits Times spoke to five organisations which run nursing homes. Four are charities which say unpaid bills are a perennial problem, but the economic funk has made it worse.
They say this recession has made collecting payment especially tough, compared to previous downturns.
Another 10 groups contacted - a mix of homes run by charities and private outfits - declined comment, but those in the industry say the problem is widespread.
Mr Wee Lin, founder of the Sunlove Abode for Intellectually Infirmed, said the amounts owed to its two homes are 'surprisingly high' this recession.
In the first five months of this year, defaulted bills amounted to $50,100.
While comparative figures are not available, in March last year when its financial year ended, its residents owed the homes $38,400; in the same period in 2007, the amount defaulted was $21,600.
The picture was similar at the Salvation Army's Peacehaven Nursing Home: Unpaid bills came to $89,000 in March, but just two months later, the sum had ballooned to almost $200,000.
Mr Lawrence Ang, chairman of the Ju Eng Home for Senior Citizens, said: 'Some children say they can't even support their own families now; how are they going to support their parents?'
A 62-year-old courier who wanted to be known only as Madam Lim said she was now struggling to support herself and her ailing husband on their combined monthly income of under $2,000.
With her mother's nursing home fees biting an $850 chunk out of that, Madam Lim - who has no siblings with whom to share this expense - is already a few thousand dollars behind in payments.
She said: 'With the recession, sometimes my boss doesn't pay us on time, so that makes matters worse.'
Ju Eng Home's Mr Ang observed that even larger families may have problems, in that siblings pass the buck among themselves.
He said: 'I think with the stress of daily living, some children feel they have to take care of themselves first.
'And if the siblings are not close to each other, some try to distance themselves so they don't have to pay the bill.'
To ensure that defaulted payments do not become bad debts, nursing homes first go to the family to find out why they are behind in payments, and arrange for instalment payments or financial aid if necessary.
Charities say the rising amounts of owed payments mean they must find other ways to make up the shortfall - by either cutting costs or raising funds.
But with the outlook on fund-raising now bleak, cost-cutting seems the way to go, they say.
For example, Sunlove is now saving $1,500 every month by using diesel instead of petrol vehicles.
Operators like China Healthcare and Peacehaven Nursing Home hire debt collectors to track down families who have been difficult to reach, owe large sums, or who just refuse to pay.
Peacehaven executive director Low Mui Lang said: 'When people see that we mean business, they finally pay.'
[email protected]
[email protected]

batman1

Alfrescian
Loyal
29bjz9h.jpg

Donch ask money from me hor! I just blew away $270B with NO REGRET! *hee*hee*

Actually many people do not know how much is $270 Billion ? How many zeros ? Not only without regret for losing $270 billion but also highly commended for a job well done ? What a joke ! This can only happen in Uniquely Singapura !

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
270 Billion is...I think 270,000,000,000, 'sup sup swee'...we have many more, " 000,000,000" to loose, afterall we have already donated to PRC Soochow...that number of zeroes...and this not their money from their bank account.....you do not need to know...:p

'cowbunga' the health ministar suggest, or point to the direction of Johor to place your aged...

I have experience of paying for a nursing home for someone dear to me....come to $1,000 a month...those years, everything was 'booming', even the nursing homes prices were BOOMING, there were no control. During the booming time, fortunately, I have others to share the cost, if not, my 'ship would have listed to one side'...

I really empathised with those having to pay for nursing home costs....now, when you are young, please save enough for a day, where one day, you have to check in to one...and have save enough money to pay....if not, 'euthanasia' would be a better option...:p

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
With her mother's nursing home fees biting an $850 chunk out of that, Madam Lim - who has no siblings with whom to share this expense - is already a few thousand dollars behind in payments.

Is it suppose to be charity organization running it, or PAP government help the poor style charity?

$850 seems way too high for me!

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like SG Chinks are having trouble as it is maintaining their cars and condos. No time for aged parents lar.

All this years of promoting filial piety and asian values and this is the sum result.

The Chinese had never developed a tradition of helping the unfortunate in society. In the words of Harrison Salisbury, a noted China watcher and author of The Long March, "Too often, lepers or cripples were simply clubbed to death as a burden on society. China developed no great philosophy of charity, aid to the downtrodden or any obligation to help the less fortunate."

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
Looks like SG Chinks are having trouble as it is maintaining their cars and condos. No time for aged parents lar.

All this years of promoting filial piety and asian values and this is the sum result.

The Chinese had never developed a tradition of helping the unfortunate in society. In the words of Harrison Salisbury, a noted China watcher and author of The Long March, "Too often, lepers or cripples were simply clubbed to death as a burden on society. China developed no great philosophy of charity, aid to the downtrodden or any obligation to help the less fortunate."

yeah sure..

ah neh/mats all very filial.. only when they run out of $$ to buy drugs/liquor/bike then they will turn violent and bash up their parents..:cool:

tiuroyston46asshole

Alfrescian
Loyal
Cow mister is right afterall, should be having nursing home in JB where it is cheaper......only old asshole can send their old folk to jb nursing home...:rolleyes: