• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious More Crippled Sinkies Win Para-Olympic Gold! Should They Get Rewarded Like Schooling?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
tumblr_inline_oddjm5y8rD1u2kxp8_540.png

Before this morning, Theresa Goh had been in nine Paralympic Games swimming finals but never won a medal.

The first ever Singaporean swimmer to qualify for the Paralympics when she made it to Athens 2004, the closest Goh came was a pair of fourth-placed finishes in Beijing in 2008.

But that all changed on Monday morning (Singapore time) when the 29-year-old swam the race of her life to clinch bronze in the 100-metre breaststroke SB4, clocking 1:55.55sec at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium in Rio de Janeiro to achieve her first ever Paralympics podium finish.

It is Singapore’s second medal in Brazil following team-mate Yip Pin Xiu’s gold two days earlier and one that Goh holds most dear amongst the plethora of accolades she has notched in 17 years of competitive swimming.
“It really means the world to me,” she told Yahoo Singapore from Brazil. “It means that everything has fallen into place and I've managed to achieve something that I wanted for a really long time.”

It was not an easy achievement either, as Goh was pushed hard over the final 25m by Zhang Li of China, who finished fourth. Norway’s world-record holder Sarah Louise Rung took gold, while Italian Giulia Ghiretti claimed silver.
Nervous and unsure

Goh, who was born with spina bifida and is paralysed from the waist down, admitted she was very nervous before the race even though she had set an Asian record of 1:54.50s in the heats.

“I had a lot of thoughts in my head,” she said. “But I just followed the game-plan, which was to follow the swimmer in front of me and to come back strong.

“I felt like I had a good swim. I didn’t know what place I was in [when I touched the wall], but I was excited to see the results.”

She also revealed that she had undergone a “roller-coaster of emotions” this year despite some excellent results, notably in May when she went below two minutes for the breaststroke for the first time in nine years at a meet in Portugal.

“At different moments this year, I've been sure and then unsure, and I've had a lot of times when I didn’t know I’d be able to get to the podium,” she said. “But at the end, it wasn’t really whether I believed I would podium – it was really focusing on what I had to do and not worrying about the outcome, I think that really helped me a lot.

“This year has been really amazing, a year I will never forget and that’s saying a lot because I have a really bad memory!”

76d466f0-787f-11e6-8055-69ca1237bcc1_2016-09-12T001927Z_116641167_MT1ACI14606030_RTRMADP_3_PARALYMPICS-RIOSWIMMING.JPG

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/f...ve-wanted-this-for-a-long-time-045913667.html

Narong Wongwan

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: More Crippled Sinkies Win Para-Olympic Gold! Should They Get Rewarded Like School

If you start offering money for para Olympics then those cheating chink FTs here will start breaking their legs to compete

GoldenDragon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Re: More Crippled Sinkies Win Para-Olympic Gold! Should They Get Rewarded Like School

If someone or some entities come forward, the Govt will endorse it. Cost them nothing. They will then tong pang credit.

Just take a look at Tan Howe Liang and the answer is clear.

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

tumblr_inline_oddjm5y8rD1u2kxp8_540.png

Before this morning, Theresa Goh had been in nine Paralympic Games swimming finals but never won a medal.

The first ever Singaporean swimmer to qualify for the Paralympics when she made it to Athens 2004, the closest Goh came was a pair of fourth-placed finishes in Beijing in 2008.

But that all changed on Monday morning (Singapore time) when the 29-year-old swam the race of her life to clinch bronze in the 100-metre breaststroke SB4, clocking 1:55.55sec at the Olympic Aquatics Stadium in Rio de Janeiro to achieve her first ever Paralympics podium finish.

It is Singapore’s second medal in Brazil following team-mate Yip Pin Xiu’s gold two days earlier and one that Goh holds most dear amongst the plethora of accolades she has notched in 17 years of competitive swimming.
“It really means the world to me,” she told Yahoo Singapore from Brazil. “It means that everything has fallen into place and I've managed to achieve something that I wanted for a really long time.”

It was not an easy achievement either, as Goh was pushed hard over the final 25m by Zhang Li of China, who finished fourth. Norway’s world-record holder Sarah Louise Rung took gold, while Italian Giulia Ghiretti claimed silver.
Nervous and unsure

Goh, who was born with spina bifida and is paralysed from the waist down, admitted she was very nervous before the race even though she had set an Asian record of 1:54.50s in the heats.

“I had a lot of thoughts in my head,” she said. “But I just followed the game-plan, which was to follow the swimmer in front of me and to come back strong.

“I felt like I had a good swim. I didn’t know what place I was in [when I touched the wall], but I was excited to see the results.”

She also revealed that she had undergone a “roller-coaster of emotions” this year despite some excellent results, notably in May when she went below two minutes for the breaststroke for the first time in nine years at a meet in Portugal.

“At different moments this year, I've been sure and then unsure, and I've had a lot of times when I didn’t know I’d be able to get to the podium,” she said. “But at the end, it wasn’t really whether I believed I would podium – it was really focusing on what I had to do and not worrying about the outcome, I think that really helped me a lot.

“This year has been really amazing, a year I will never forget and that’s saying a lot because I have a really bad memory!”

76d466f0-787f-11e6-8055-69ca1237bcc1_2016-09-12T001927Z_116641167_MT1ACI14606030_RTRMADP_3_PARALYMPICS-RIOSWIMMING.JPG

https://sg.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/f...ve-wanted-this-for-a-long-time-045913667.html

why dont you chop off your dick and join them?

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I was awakened to the World of Paralympics during the London Games in 2012. Here is what I was told.

Money - The first thing I learnt is that you need money and lots of money to compete in many sports in the Paralympics. All participants must submit a whole lot of medical documents plus face tests to determine the degree of disability. These include doctors and accredited individuals from each Sports Association to make the assessments and all these must be paid. In many of these cases, you have to pay for their flights and accommodation as they are not available locally. Or fly to the country they are available.

Scrutiny of fellow competitors - this is unusual development. Some families engage professionals scrutineers who are also disability classifiers to ensure that their competitors are not "over classified" in terms of disability. Some countries are noted for cheating in this respect. Protests are common in paralympics over the right disability classifications all year round because it is a growing problem.

Shopping for events - some countries and parents shop for events which has the best chance of getting a medal. Wheel chair racing has been one of the oldest events and the cheapest to to classified so the pool is large and medal chances are slim. It is usually avoided by people who are new.

Background of parents - Because of the money that is involved to compete, the Games is generally is open to a few that can afford the expenses. So parents seldom identify themselves or are coy about their background as they are usually wealthy. Some countries do organise sponsorship but limited.

It will be good if the there are more participation from across the income spectrum as is the case for the main Olympics. More disabled people should be encouraged and supported to participate. The country can help set the stage for greater participation.

Thick Face Black Heart

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

I was awakened to the World of Paralympics during the London Games in 2012. Here is what I was told.

Money - The first thing I learnt is that you need money and lots of money to compete in many sports in the Paralympics. All participants must submit a whole lot of medical documents plus face tests to determine the degree of disability. These include doctors and accredited individuals from each Sports Association to make the assessments and all these must be paid. In many of these cases, you have to pay for their flights and accommodation as they are not available locally. Or fly to the country they are available.

Scrutiny of fellow competitors - this is unusual development. Some families engage professionals scrutineers who are also disability classifiers to ensure that their competitors are not "over classified" in terms of disability. Some countries are noted for cheating in this respect. Protests are common in paralympics over the right disability classifications all year round because it is a growing problem.

Shopping for events - some countries and parents shop for events which has the best chance of getting a medal. Wheel chair racing has been one of the oldest events and the cheapest to to classified so the pool is large and medal chances are slim. It is usually avoided by people who are new.

Background of parents - Because of the money that is involved to compete, the Games is generally is open to a few that can afford the expenses. So parents seldom identify themselves or are coy about their background as they are usually wealthy. Some countries do organise sponsorship but limited.

It will be good if the there are more participation from across the income spectrum as is the case for the main Olympics. More disabled people should be encouraged and supported to participate. The country can help set the stage for greater participation.

Thanks for this insight. Our Paralympics participants are always an inspiration to others to buck up in life and do better. As usual however, there is an underbelly to every story. Since money appears to play such a key role, the sport is also tainted with elitism and that is an irony given that the Paralympics are supposed to show people the virtue of inclusiveness and how great people can be if they are given equal chance to excel not just in sports but in life in general.

The mainstream chatter has always been about how these chaps are an inspiration, the degree of sportsmenship they display during the competition, etc, how they can inspire able bodied people to buck up, etc, but it is always insightful and sobering to know what goes on behind the scenes sometimes. Things are never black and white in this world.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

I think it the perfect description of the situation.

Here is something that is sad that has engulfed paralympics.

This too came out during the London Olympics.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-19325756

Paralympic athletes who harm themselves to perform better
By Matt McGrath
Science reporter, BBC World Service
23 August 2012

Would you break your own toe to win a Paralympic medal? Would you sit on a sharp object or strangulate your testicles? It's cheating, but a scientist who will be monitoring athletes at the Paralympic Games says a third of competitors with spinal injuries may be harming themselves to boost their performance.

The practice, called "boosting", is designed to increase blood pressure and enhance performance.

It's banned by the International Paralympics Committee (IPC), but some researchers say these are the desperate acts of athletes trying to compete on a level playing field.
"There have been times where I would specifically give my leg or my toe a couple of really good electric shocks" says Brad Zdanivsky, a 36-year-old Canadian quadriplegic climber who has experimented with boosting in the gym.

Common boosting techniques

Overfilling the bladder, by clamping a catheter
Sitting on a drawing pin
Use of tight leg straps
Twisting and/or sitting on the scrotum
Cracking or breaking a bone

"That would make my blood pressure jump up and I could do more weights and cycle harder - it is effective."

One British journalist with years of experience covering the Paralympics says he has heard of athletes using small hammers to crack or break a toe.

The point of these activities is to raise the athlete's blood pressure and heart rate.
Isn't high blood pressure bad?

In the world of elite sports, "boosting" could make the difference between winning and losing. But it also boosts the chance of a heart attack or stroke.

When able-bodied competitors engage in hard physical activities like running or swimming, blood pressure and heart rate increase automatically. Athletes with spinal injuries do not get that response. "Boosting" is a short cut to higher blood pressure and the improved performance that comes with it.

In medical terms it's defined as the deliberate induction of a dangerous condition common to quadriplegics called autonomic dysreflexia (AD). Many everyday activities that cause discomfort, even something as trivial as sunburn, can set off the condition naturally.

Zdanivsky turned to boosting when his spine was crushed in a car accident in 1994, because he didn't want the injury to curb his passion for mountain climbing.

"I tried several different ways of doing it. You can allow your bladder to fill, basically don't go to the bathroom for a few hours and let that pain from your bladder do it.

"Some people do that in sports by clipping off a catheter to let the bladder fill - that's the easiest and the most common - and you can quickly get rid of that pain stimulus by letting the urine drain out.

"I took it a notch further by using an electrical stimulus on my leg, my toe and even my testicles."
But boosting comes at a price.
"You are getting a blood pressure spike that could quite easily blow a vessel behind your eye or cause a stroke in your brain," says Zdanivsky.

Brad Zdanivsky is a passionate mountain climber

"It can actually stop your heart. It's very unpleasant, but the results are hard to deny. The saying is that winners always want the ball, so it doesn't matter if it's unpleasant, it gets results."

The IPC has been aware of the problem for many years. Boosting has has been banned since 1994.
But remarkably little scientific research has been done to assess how many athletes are willing to take these extreme measures to improve their performance.

A survey carried out by the IPC during the Beijing Paralympics indicated that around 17% of those who responded had used boosting. Some experts believe the real figure could be higher.

Could it be as high as 30%, I asked Dr Andrei Krassioukov, a professor of medicine at the University of British Columbia and an experienced researcher into spinal injuries?
"Correct. It is possible," he replied.

"I will tell you right now as a physician people want to feel better, first of all - they feel better with their blood pressure higher. But a second thing driving it is the desire to win, to have a fair playing field with other Paralympic athletes who have higher blood pressure."

While many athletes with spinal injuries will suffer from low blood pressure, there is considerable variation from one individual to the next.
Athletes' confessions in Beijing survey

Participants were specifically asked the question: "Have you ever intentionally induced autonomic dysreflexia to boost your performance in training or competition?"

Of the 60 participants who responded, 10 (16.7%) responded affirmatively while 50 (83.3%) responded negatively.

All the positive responses were obtained from the male participants, with the majority competing in wheelchair rugby (55.5%), followed by wheelchair marathon (22.2%) and long distance racing (22.2%)

Beijing survey for World Anti-Doping Agency

"There is still a disadvantage between paralympians who have normal blood pressure and those who don't and this puts a significant number of athletes at a disadvantage," Krassioukov says.

"As a physician I totally understand why these Olympians are doing this, but as a scientist I am horrified with these events."

He believes that changes to the system of classification would help - for example by changing the points system that aims to ensure that teams with a roughly equal level of overall disability compete against one another in wheelchair rugby and basketball.

Currently, the system takes no account of blood pressure and heart rate.

IPC Chief Medical Officer Peter Van de Vliet says he has no data that would support or disprove Krassioukov's estimate that up to 30% of paralympians with spinal injuries engage in boosting.

It's an unacceptable practice, he says, and the IPC has no sympathy with the idea that it levels the field of play.

Some wheelchair rugby players said they had tried boosting

The IPC has no plans to add physiological characteristics into their classification systems, he adds.

"Paralympic qualification for athletes with physical impairment is on the basis of a neuro-muscular-skeletal impairment rather than a physiological one," he says.
IPC rules on boosting

The IPC forbids athletes to compete in a hazardous dysreflexic state

A hazardous dysreflexic state is considered to be present when the systolic blood pressure is 180mm Hg or above

An examination may be undertaken by physicians or paramedical staff... at any time

Any deliberate attempt to induce Autonomic Dysreflexia is forbidden... the athlete will be disqualified from the particular competition

IPC position statement

During the Beijing Games, the IPC carried out about 20 blood pressure checks on athletes before events. They didn't find any clear evidence of people boosting.
The IPC says it will continue to monitor athletes closely before events at the London Games.

Anyone they suspect is boosting - symptoms include sweating, skin blotchiness and goose bumps - will be subjected to blood pressure checks.

If athletes are found to have a systolic blood pressure of 180mm of mercury or above, they will not be allowed to compete in "the particular competition in question". But they will not receive a long-term ban.

Brad Zdanivsky argues that checks like this will not be effective in cutting out boosting. He says you would need to test an athlete's blood pressure regularly over a sustained period to be able to know for sure whether any given reading was natural or "boosted".

"There is no real solution, it is an ugly can of worms that no-one wants to open it and talk about," says Zdanivsky.

He believes that only a tragic event will bring the problem out into the open.

"What's going to happen one day is that someone is going to have a stroke right on the court and then they are going to have to talk about it."
Matt McGrath's documentary Cheating at the Paralympics will be broadcast at 1832GMT on 23 August 2012 on the BBC World Service

Things are never black and white in this world.

Leongsam

High Order Twit / Low SES subject
Admin
Asset

Why is the paralympics forced upon the host nation and the world when nobody cares about the event at all.

scroobal

Alfrescian
Loyal

The disabled have every right to participate in sports. Both us and the State should encourage their participation. They should not be marginalised from the rest of society. It should not be the preserve of a select few who have the money to participate. Neither should the organisers who are behind these events cover-up abuse and misrepresentation which I understand is now endemic. We should also make all individuals whether able bodied or not who make money or income for events for the disabled to disclose their their takings publicly.

We should have learnt this from all the nonsense that Durai, the Ren CI monk and Kong Hee has done in the name of charity and religion.

Why is the paralympics forced upon the host nation and the world when nobody cares about the event at all.

ChineseDog

Alfrescian
Loyal

If you start offering money for para Olympics then those cheating chink FTs here will start breaking their legs to compete

Good job my fellow Chinese dog. We chinks break our legs to compete in the paralympics!

CABcommander

Alfrescian
Loyal

I saw many m&d crippled dogs opening taxi doors aka beggars at joo chiat over the hari raya weekend.

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset

Does this loser feel like a moron for taking up ping pong instead of swimming? He could have won himself a cool $100k if he could win a medal. All our medals, be it from the normal or handicapped olympics, all came from swimming.

jason-chee-in-action.jpg

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

time for the wheelchaired CP MP to speak up like she did saying our cpf monies do not belong to us!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hans168

Alfrescian
Loyal

I saw many m&d crippled dogs opening taxi doors aka beggars at joo chiat over the hari raya weekend.

more in JB but oso Chinese ones as their govt neglect them wholesale

butoh6050

Alfrescian
Loyal

Got SIA cut a wheel chair shaped cake or not?

steffychun

Alfrescian
Loyal

Next up PAP to source for crippled PRCs and Indians to represent Singapore...