• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More Cock Ups By BEST PAID NEA!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>Stale air at Chinatown market
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I HIGHLIGHTED almost one year ago the plight of dry provision and fruit stallholders in one section of the upgraded basement wet market of Chinatown Complex ('Upgraded Chinatown market felt like a furnace'; May 24, 2008).
Back then, they had to endure a hot and humid working environment. The National Environment Agency then graciously took some mitigating measures, such as installing additional fans and partitioning the central freezer area.
However, whenever I patronise the stalls in that area, the vendors complain about the bad and unhealthy air quality. Some developed quite severe skin problems that required them to see the doctor.
Last Sunday afternoon, while I was there doing my marketing, I had a first-hand experience of how stifling and suffocating the stale air there is. When I got up to the ground floor via the nearby staircase, it was a world of difference - the air was refreshingly cool as it was raining heavily.
When I was down at the basement market, I had no inkling it was raining. Not an iota of cool air penetrated the fortress-like basement market.
My heart goes out to the poor vendors who must endure long hours in such a horrible working environment. Julie Chia (Ms)

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
You got a point but perhaps the reasons are not.Look carefully.The stalls are now quite spacious.But no customers either.I speculate it has much to do with the concept of wet-market.Previously it was crowded and wet.Now no crowd and dry.There use to be a lot of water in fish tanks or on the floor before.Could the dry atmosphere be due to the absence of water?

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Wet market stall owner/worker/customer in that area sure will vote them out in next election if giving a chance to vote. Opposition should take note of this.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
You got a point but perhaps the reasons are not.Look carefully.The stalls are now quite spacious.But no customers either.I speculate it has much to do with the concept of wet-market.Previously it was crowded and wet.Now no crowd and dry.There use to be a lot of water in fish tanks or on the floor before.Could the dry atmosphere be due to the absence of water?

If wet markets can sell cheep cheep, would there be no customers? But why can't wet markets sell cheep cheep now? Ask that 1 Familee which is still hiking rentals today!

Nice-Gook

Alfrescian
Loyal
If wet markets can sell cheep cheep, would there be no customers? But why can't wet markets sell cheep cheep now? Ask that 1 Familee which is still hiking rentals today!

<style></style>Again you may got it wrong.People go to the Kreta Ayer wet market purely because of the variety of fish available thre.Its the tradition followed after the real Chinatown.But most of the Chinese who lives in this area rather buy fish from Tiong Bahru wet market where the fish are more expensive than Kreta Ayer wet market..Why?

Because I speculate the MIW had killed the spirit of the only Chinatown wet market.Did you notice the lack of fish varieties as well the decrease in numbers of fish mongers in the Kreta Ayer wet market now after the renovation?