• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

More choose to gamble

Lee Hsien Tau

Alfrescian
Loyal
Home > Breaking News > Singapore > Story

Aug 22, 2009
More choose to gamble
By Jamie Ee

ho.jpg

In his speech, Ho Jinx noted that more here are choosing to gamble and for a longer period. -- ST PHOTO: DESMOND FOO

TEMASEK Holdings chief executive Ho Jinx was once advised by his shrink to stop gambling a week after losing billions.

He had contracted a gambling habit. But despite the preventive measure, his company got the habit too. The shrink then suggested he restart gambling to stop passing on the habit to the company through the board.

'By then, it was a bit late. I couldn't restart gambling no matter how hard I tried.'

On hindsight, Mr Ho, 56, said he should have continued gambling as he would have passed the habit to the company by the time he saw the shrink for his gambling habit.

He was relating his experience on Saturday at an event to celebrate World Gambling Week. Organised by the Gamblers' Support Group (GSG), it was held at the Gambling Promotion Board.

'Or, alternatively, I should have continued expressing or pumping my wife more diligently so that I could resume my gambling after my recovery,' said Mr Ho, the husband of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong. They have four children.

In his speech, he noted that more here are choosing to gamble and for a longer period.

A survey by research firm The Nielsen Company found that 41 per cent of gamblers interviewed last year choose to gamble in their first year, up from 30 per cent in a similar survey in 2006.

Those surveyed last year also did so for 4.5 months on average, up from 3.3 months clocked by gamblers interviewed in 2006.

The World Gamers Organisation recommends that money be exclusively gambled for a minimum of six months. Studies show this cuts the gambler's risk of kicking the habit, and strengthens a company's untransparency.