• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

MLM Jump On FTrash Bandwagon, Recruit Maids!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Multi-level marketing firms recruit maids to sell products
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- Author --><TR><TD class="padlrt8 georgia11 darkgrey bold" colSpan=2>By Mavis Toh
</TD></TR><!-- show image if available --><TR vAlign=bottom><TD width=330>
p10-2.jpg

</TD><TD width=10>
c.gif
</TD><TD vAlign=bottom>
c.gif

The Ministry of Manpower says foreign maids who engage in multi-level marketing are liable to be fined or jailed. -- ST PHOTO: CHEW SENG KIM
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->She cooks, does the dishes - and sells health products. That's what at least one enterprising maid is doing. But she's breaking the law.
Two months ago, an Indonesian maid entered the world of multi-level marketing (MLM), a form of direct selling.
The 25-year-old has been working as a maid for retiree James Lam for two years. He pays her about $300 a month.
Mr Lam wrote to The Straits Times' Forum two weeks ago, voicing his concern about MLM firms recruiting maids.
He also wanted to know if maids were infringing work permit conditions by joining these schemes.
In an e-mail reply to The Sunday Times, the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) said foreign maids are allowed to work only in the occupation and for the employer as stated in the work permit card.
'Those who engage in employment or business through multi-level marketing (MLM) activities are committing an offence. They are liable to be fined up to $5,000 or a maximum jail term of six months or both.'
The ministry added that MLM companies that use foreign maids to sell their products or to help recruit members are running foul of the law too.
This offence attracts a maximum sentence of $15,000 fine and/or 12 months' imprisonment.
Mr Lam told The Sunday Times last week that another maid had invited his maid to an MLM talk.
He did not want his maid to be interviewed, but he showed us the brochures she had been given.
On how she and the other maid got involved, he said they went to the MLM firm's office in Beach Road one Sunday. There, Indonesian speakers touted the benefits of some health products and the incentives one stands to gain with the scheme.
The audience of 30 were mostly Indonesian maids.
'I was told they even showed photos of a maid in Hong Kong driving a Mercedes,' said Mr Lam, 68.
That evening, his maid returned with $300 worth of health items from herbal tea bags to calcium powder and an acupuncture apparatus.
He said: 'She's a good worker. It's not easy to get sales through MLM so I'm worried she'll fork out large sums on these products.'
So involved is she now that she has recruited 11 'downlines', all of whom are fellow maids.
It seems that Filipino maids too are being wooed.
Ms Encarnacion Montales, former president of Filipino Overseas Workers in Singapore, said MLM representatives approached two friends at Lucky Plaza last month.
'I told them to find out more and to stay clear if large sums of money are involved,' she said.
Ms Sisi Sukiato, a welfare officer at migrant welfare group Home, said that she also knew of maids approached by MLM companies selling cosmetics and perfumes years ago.
When contacted, Mr Benjamin Tan, honorary member of the Direct Selling Association of Singapore, said MLM companies should not be recruiting foreigners holding various permits.
But he added that with many MLM firms having global offices, there is a grey area if the foreigners have 'already registered' in their home countries.
MLM firm Tianshi Singapore, which sells health products, agreed. The China-based firm has offices in China, Europe, Africa, America and Asia.
Its general manager, Mr Li Li, said the company's health products are very popular in Indonesia. Some maids here could have already been registered as members back home.
'But new memberships here are only for Singaporeans and permanent residents,' he added.
When contacted, the Indonesian Embassy said it is not aware of the MLM issue.
But the embassy's First Secretary, Mr Lanang Seputro, advised Indonesian maids here not to be involved in MLM activities. He added: 'Be prudent and focus on what your main job is, and that is to do the housework well.'
Have you heard of MLM firms targeting maids? Share your stories by e-mailing [email protected]

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
The 25-year-old has been working as a maid for retiree James Lam for two years. He pays her about $300 a month.
Mr Lam wrote to The Straits Times' Forum two weeks ago, voicing his concern about MLM firms recruiting maids.
He also wanted to know if maids were infringing work permit conditions by joining these schemes.

Chink retiree James Lam thinks his $300 is very big. I hope his daughter ends up in some 3rd world country as a maid for slave labor wages.

Still want to sabo the maid to MOM. Fucking bastard.:oIo:

We should be paying the maids at least $1500. Enforce min wage and teach Ah Peks like James Lam(par) a lesson.

Where are all the min wage Chink arseholes today??? I think Ah Lee Baba is out playing with his horse. :biggrin:

Asychee

Alfrescian
Loyal
I dont see that much of a problem of these maid selling health products. When i was running my own maid agencies - i know of some of these maids are using a "fake" work permit from employer to sell product and services in singapore.

Some of these smarter maids are selling remittances services, or travel tickets and etc. There are however - some that are doing illegal things (i leave that up to your imagination).

yellow_people

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is the Chinks like to whine and look for loop holes... when caught blame the maids. How come for all the whining and screaming by Chinks here about min wage there is not a single taker willing to tackle this subject head-on? Will a Chink work for $300??? Fucking hypocrites!!!