• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Million$ Ministers' Tok Cok Ideas

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR>ADVANCE MEDICAL DIRECTIVE
</TR><!-- headline one : start --><TR>Most clinics clueless to help
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->I APPLAUD Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan for looking into making advance medical directives (AMDs) easier, in particular removing the need for a doctor to witness the signing of the AMD form as was reported on Wednesday ('Living wills to be made easier'). But, I wish to share my difficulties in getting it done.
First, I had trouble finding the form. I went to polyclinics in Clementi, Jurong East and Woodlands but could not find it.
All I had were brochures. I asked the nurses but they said the brochures were all they had. When I asked where I could obtain the form, they were clueless.
Later, I approached a few clinics in my neighbourhood to make inquiries. They were also clueless, though most had the brochures.
As I did not have broadband to download the form then, it was difficult to obtain one on the Internet with my dial-up plan.
Finally, I managed to print out the form. But I could not find any doctor to sign it.
First, I went to the neighbourhood clinics and was willing to pay, but the nurses told me to ask my family doctor to do it.
The problem is, I don't have one. The polyclinic is my 'family doctor''.
On my next visit to the polyclinic I asked the attending doctor to sign for me. She was taken aback and replied that she could not. This put me off as I told her that I fully understood the implications of the AMD. I was a hospice volunteer for more than five years. She insisted that I find someone else, and mentioned the family doctor option again.
It was only when I accompanied my friend to the National Cancer Centre for her appointment that I managed to get the AMD form signed.
My friend had asked me to witness her AMD signing. While we were there, I asked my friend's oncologist if he could sign my AMD as well, and he replied, 'why not', and proceeded to do so.
I would like to thank him.
On hindsight, if something catastrophic had happened to me between the time when I started to look for the form and the day I had it signed, it would have caused much stress and suffering, not only for myself, but my family as well.
Although I am relieved that I have signed my AMD, I hope the Ministry of Health will change the rule about requiring doctor witnesses quickly. Also, please make the forms more easily available, especially for the elderly who may not be computer savvy - or have a computer in the first place. Susan Chua (Ms)