- Joined
- Apr 14, 2011
- Messages
- 17,837
- Points
- 113
Melbourne couple Chee Kit Chong and Angie Liaw ordered to face trial over slavery charges
By court reporter Kristian SilvaPosted Mon 7 Aug 2023 at 2:57pmMonday 7 Aug 2023 at 2:57pm
Specific allegations against Chee Kit Chong and Angie Yeh Ling Liaw are yet to be revealed, after their arrest in October 2022.(Facebook: Chong Chee Kit)
Share this article
abc.net.au/news/alleged-melbourne-slavery-couple-to-face-trial/102699080
Link copied
COPY LINKSHARE
- In short: A magistrate rules there is sufficient evidence to support a conviction in a slavery case, sending the matter to a higher court
- What's next? Mr Chong and Ms Liaw have pleaded not guilty and will now face a County Court trial
Chee Kit Chong, 44, and his wife Angie Yeh Ling Liaw, 29, are each facing three slavery-related charges, with prosecutors alleging they exercised coercive control over a woman and kept her as a slave in their Point Cook home over a 10-month period.
Federal Police raided the home in October last year after a tip-off from a healthcare worker.
The slavery charges carry a maximum penalty of 25 years in prison.
The alleged victim was recently diagnosed with a terminal illness and prosecutors want to fast-track the case through the courts.
However, Mr Chong and Ms Liaw have been granted several adjournments over the last four months and have changed their lawyers several times.
On Monday, the couple told the Melbourne Magistrates' Court they would be pleading not guilty to the charges.
It also emerged that Mr Chong had changed his lawyers again.
"I think we're the fifth or sixth legal firm that hasn't been funded," barrister Elizabeth McKinnon said.
Ms McKinnon said she was yet to be properly briefed and asked for a further adjournment.
However, that request was rejected by Magistrate Belinda Franjic during a sixth committal mention hearing for the case.
"He has not done anything meaningful since the matter commenced in November 2022," Magistrate Franjic said of Mr Chong.
"Against that background, I consider the fact that the prosecution has a complainant who has a diagnosis of a terminal illness."
While not making any finding of innocence or guilt, Magistrate Franjic ruled there was sufficient police evidence to support a conviction.
It means the case will now progress to a County Court directions hearing next week, with a trial date to be fixed.
The couple, who were arrested by Federal Police, have entered not guilty pleas.(Supplied: Australian Federal Police)
Confusion over lawyers continues
On Monday, Ms Liaw told the court that her husband had organised for Ms McKinnon's instructing firm MCD Lawyers to represent her as well, however Ms McKinnon said that was incorrect and said it would be "highly unlikely" they would be able to do so.Ms Liaw, who eventually represented herself, said she had not yet read the prosecution brief of evidence which contained the allegations against her and her husband.
Specific details about what the couple are alleged to have done have not been made public, and on Monday the magistrate knocked back an application by the media to access a summary of the police case.
Ms Liaw told the court she was in possession of her own evidence and was willing to share it.
"I have a lot of pictures about the person going on outings with us," she said.
Bail was extended for Mr Chong and Ms Liaw, who have been required to surrender their passports and report to police regularly