• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Serious Mediacorp Superstar Joanne Peh Not Interested In Ukraine War! More Interested In Children Educational Psychology!

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
1646832507404.png

In her column for local Chinese daily Lianhe Zaobao last Friday (Mar 4), Joanne Peh recalled having dinner with friends over the weekend when the conversation turned to the ongoing Russia-Ukraine conflict.

“I admitted that I did not follow the news,” shared the 38-year-old actress. “I seemed to have heard that Ukraine was at war, but I did not pay attention to the specific reasons. In this era of information overload, I can still be cut off from the rest of the world.”

In response, a reader wrote to the paper expressing how “disappointing” it was for Joanne, “a well-known artiste and university graduate” — she majored in Journalism at NTU’s School of Communication and Information — “to say that she doesn’t know about the Russia-Ukraine war”.

Another comment reads: “We can’t live in our own world and be indifferent towards current affairs, even without compassion and vigilance.”

1646832532974.png

What does Joanne have to say to the criticism?
Joanne then explained herself through Lianhe Zaobao, saying that the point of her column wasn’t whether she was aware of the war, but to remind herself and everyone else that in this Internet Age, our online habits will influence the kind of information we receive.

One example, we reckon, would be how you might start seeing ads about a certain product after Googling it once.

“At that time, the Russia-Ukraine war had just broken out when my friends talked about it,” she said. “I usually don’t pay much attention to international and political news as I focus more on the subject of children’s educational psychology.”

The star, who has two kids with husband Qi Yuwu, has a passion for early childhood education
and even launched her own creative children’s enrichment programme.

She believes in bringing kids up right
She continued: “Data algorithms are calculated based on our screen-swiping habits to recommend items that may be of interest to us, so when the Russia-Ukraine war broke out, this piece of international news did not immediately appear on my Facebook.”

“But that doesn’t mean I don’t care about world events, it’s just that my usual browsing habits made me miss some important information. Of course, I later started paying attention to the war and observed how the media in different countries would report on it.”

Ultimately, Joanne wanted to use this example to illustrate how algorithms can affect the things we see online, which could then possibly lead to having a one-sided worldview.

“It is easier to get information, but it doesn’t mean that we understand everything,” she mused. “This experience serves as a warning to myself and also got me thinking, how do we know if everything we see is the truth? If a lot of people are talking about something, does it make it true? Our views are decided by the information we receive, and these views may have personal biases.”

https://www.8days.sg/entertainment/local/joanne-peh-criticised-russia-ukraine-war-response-15518886

LordElrond

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Smart woman. Obviously she did not agree with the “official” and “politically correct” stance of condemning Russia. She probably did not want to argue with idiots.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking idiot whats wrong with not following the news and need to admit to anyone ? Not everyone need to be keen to know what the wayang war is about KNN seriouslee my uncle also not verlee keen to know details becas he is wise enough to know is fucking fake war.

sweetiepie

Alfrescian
Loyal
Fucking idiot whats wrong with not following the news and need to admit to anyone ? Not everyone need to be keen to know what the wayang war is about KNN seriouslee my uncle also not verlee keen to know details becas he is wise enough to know is fucking fake war.
Fucking bastards real war got so much time to talk cock sing song ? :rolleyes:

Rogue Trader

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Clever girl.

Best for women to not attempt to talk about politics

The female brain isn't wired to process abstract and complicated concepts

Scrooball (clone)

Alfrescian
Loyal
Majored in journalism donkey years ago but must be a journalist throughout her life even when her occupation is an actress? Lol

Sinkies logic

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
all these fuck media should highlight the fucking rising costs of EVERYTHING instead of wuliao matters like these.
FUCK PAP ALTOGETHER NOW