• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Manchester United Season 2024 -2025 -new start, lets go !

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
new start, new thread...
looks like they finally get some cow sense with 2 quick deft moves...definitely in the right direction.

Leny Yoro transfer hints at Manchester United's new market strategy​

Samuel Luckhurst

5–6 minutes

Leny Yoro's first and last appearances for Lille were against Nice. His debut, as a 16-year-old, came in the presence of Sir Dave Brailsford.

Brailsford was at the Allianz Riviera Stadium in his role as the Ineos sporting director of Ineos-owned Nice. He was flanked by Josh Thompson, the group's sports project manager already dubbed Brailsford's "bag man" by some at Manchester United.

Where Brailsford goes, Thompson usually follows. He wandered through the mixed zone with Brailsford and Sir Jim Ratcliffe after the FA Cup final and appeared to advise Ratcliffe on an exit strategy that avoided the press.

Thompson closely assists Brailsford and fellow United football board member Jean-Claude Blanc to drive the performance levels. Yoro has gone up a few levels since Brailsford first clapped eyes on him.

READ MORE: Yoro agrees to join United

READ MORE: Everton baffled by Yoro fee amid United bids for Branthwaite

The teenager came on in the 78th minute with Lille 2-1 up in May 2022 and they clinched a 3-1 victory. Three of Yoro's 68 appearances for Lille came against Nice.

United sporting director Dan Ashworth championed the development of a signing from Lille at Brighton six years ago. He joined two months before Ashworth's appointment but it was under the Ashworth-Graham Potter axis he emerged into one of the Premier League's most dominant midfielders. Yves Bissouma restored Tottenham's backbone last season.

Ratcliffe said earlier this year United would opt for a grassroots approach in the transfer market and Yoro is very green. Ratcliffe last month lamented the disadvantages of multi-club ownership in the transfer market as the Nice centre back Jean-Clair Todibo had been eyed by United but is now headed for West Ham.

Yoro, six years the 24-year-old Todibo's junior and without any international recognition, is a long-term addition at a club in need of significant short-term gains. Yoro's final fee could trump Lisandro Martinez's yet United lack longevity at centre half, where three of the defenders are in their 30s.

Last season was, in all probability, Victor Lindelof's last with United and next season could be the curtain call for Harry Maguire and Jonny Evans. Yoro will be afforded a season of adaptation, as unforgiving as his position is.

Eight league games in an untried Europa League format should help him find his feet. Maguire and Evans are sound professionals who have been around the block and will offer expert guidance. It is a pity for Yoro that Raphael Varane, another teenage centre half at a northern French club United coveted 13 years ago, came to the end of the road at the club.

Following Zinedine Zidane's intervention in 2011, Sir Alex Ferguson turned to Phil Jones, also 19. Jones is proof a raw defender can make a fearless start at United, even eliciting a barely credulous comparison with Duncan Edwards from Sir Bobby Charlton.

It helped that Jones was a homebird from Blackburn and accustomed to the Premier League. He was emboldened by United's gung-ho approach to the 2011-12 season as they plundered 21 goals in their first six games, which placed him mostly out of harm's way.

Jones's United career peaked in his first month

Jones's United career peaked in his first month
Yoro's age will not protect him from scrutiny but he need only look to his left at Martinez, written off by Jamie Carragher (and others) after two appearances. Despite an injury-plagued year, Martinez has been the most successful signing of the Erik ten Hag era.

Newly-signed centre backs at United used to endure baptisms of fire until Eric Bailly, usually the fire starter rather than firefighter, eased some of the heat. He was the man of the match in his first two appearances in 2016, Maguire had a steady start three years later and ditto Varane in 2021. Lindelof was unsteady in his first season and Martinez's mare lasted two games before he helped neutralise a daunting Liverpool attack at Old Trafford.

Bailly was 22 when he was unveiled, Lindelof 23, Maguire 26 and Varane 28. Lindelof was culpable for both goals in newly-promoted Huddersfield's win over United in October 2017 and left the John Smith's Stadium with two hoodies pulled up, skulking out like a criminal leaving court.

Bailly was actually good in his first season at United

Bailly was actually good in his first season at United
Yoro's compatriot, Patrice Evra, was 24 when his debut at Manchester City lasted 45 minutes with United 2-0 down, an experience he likened to being put in a washing machine. Sixteen and a half years later, Tyrell Malacia was hooked at the interval at the same venue with City 4-0 up.

These tales should inspire rather than instil dread in Yoro. He has a good support network among the other centre halves and will be flanked by the bullish Diogo Dalot and backed by the popular Andre Onana.

As well as those who spotted him on the French Riviera.

jw5

Loyal
If Lille don't play him for a year, Real Madrid will have less competition for Leny's signature when his contract expires. Win-win for club and player. :sneaky::devilish::laugh:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Looks like Harry is overstaying his welcome...all Harry the same no?

manchestereveningnews.co.uk

'I've never been told that' - Harry Maguire on his Man Utd future and Leny Yoro​

Samuel Luckhurst

8–11 minutes

Harry Maguire strides into the hushed surroundings of the SLS Hotel reception sporting retro-style Adidas Originals Manchester United T-shirt and shorts. Maguire's form last season was a throwback to the United centre backs of yore.

Playing through the pain barrier, doubling as an auxiliary striker and tallying an impressive four goals marked a commendable comeback season that began with Maguire losing the captaincy and ungrateful fans booing him in Dublin.

In that final pre-season friendly at the Aviva Stadium, Maguire overcame from the catcalls to tee up Facundo Pellistri for an added-time equaliser. Maguire was similarly dominant nodding the ball on for Scott McTominay in that raucous finale against Brentford two months later.

The 31-year-old has fully recovered from the calf problem that sidelined him for two months and Maguire is scheduled to play against Arsenal in Los Angeles on Saturday. He endured the "toughest moment of my career" in missing the FA Cup final and the European Championship.

READ MORE: Sleep windows, exposure to natural light and more - United's new pre-season methods

READ MORE: Sancho is making his feelings known about returning to United

"I worked so hard throughout the year," Maguire rues, "to get myself in a position where I was in a really good position physically and in a really good position mentally to to play in the FA Cup final and then thinking about the Euros after that.

"To have an injury which was, to be honest, not a big injury – it was just a calf injury, but it was only a three-week injury, but I just had three setbacks with it.

"When I first did the injury (in early May), I thought I'd be fit for the FA Cup final. So I pushed myself for the final, and then I had a setback in the week leading up to the final, which ruled me out of it.

"At that time again, it was no problem, I was going to be fit for the Euros. Then I went away with England and I had another setback, so yeah, it was so frustrating.

"When I look back, I wish I had no chance with all of them, so I could have got my head around it. But I thought I was going to play in the cup final or be involved at some stage and I thought 100 per cent I'd be involved at the Euros. But it just didn't happen and maybe I just pushed myself to get back too early, but definitely it was the toughest moment of my career, definitely."

Maguire travelled out to Germany and was in contact with some teammates in the England camp. His summer was predominantly spent in Portugal, where he underwent double training sessions under the guidance of the United fitness coach Paolo Gaudino.

Maguire is put through his paces in Portugal

Maguire is put through his paces in Portugal
United afforded Maguire additional recovery time, so he missed the friendlies against Rosenborg and Rangers. His seniority is vital in pre-season, with fellow centre back Victor Lindelof available for transfer, Lisandro Martinez on holiday after his Copa America excursions and the raw Leny Yoro barely a week into his United career.

Maguire's peaks and troughs as football's most expensive defender make him an impeccable authority on the €70million Yoro. "I must say I haven't trained too much with him," Maguire admits, "but I've seen clips and I've seen attributes in a centre back of an 18-year-old that you'd want, every single attribute he's got.

"We must remind ourselves he is really young. There are going to be mistakes but he has every attribute of a centre back in the modern game, he has it. So I’m sure he’s going to have a bright future.

"It’s our job as senior centre backs, my job, to help him along, communicate well, let him know what to expect. There are going to be times where I’m sure he’ll feel the world is on top of him, there are also going to be times where he’s going to feel like the best player in the world. And that’s what this club brings.

Maguire scored in the FA Cup semi-final last season

Maguire scored in the FA Cup semi-final last season
"I think it’s really important us senior lads help the young boys at the club. You’re starting to see now there’s so much talent in this squad but they’re going to need to be guided in the right direction and I think that’s definitely a role of mine and other lads as well."

Erik ten Hag is likely to lean on Maguire's experience again. The defender is out of contract next year but United have the option of an additional year. "Listen, until I get told, 'you're up for sale' or 'we want you to leave' I want to play for this club and make it successful again and all the things I’m hearing and seeing from everyone involved is I’ll be part of this club for the future.

"Every summer and every transfer window at Manchester United, there are 15 players out of the door and we’re getting 45 players in! I think every player knows that’s what happens.

"I’m a player with only a year left on my contract with an option, but if they come to me and say they don’t want me any more, of course I’ll look for options elsewhere. But I've never been told that."

United lost 19 games last season and the uncertainty over Ten Hag's future persisted beyond their uplifting FA Cup final victory. Maguire, a spectator at Wembley, believes the indecision from Ineos contributed to United's dire form and a report on the eve of the showpiece still rankles.

Maguire nearly left last summer

Maguire nearly left last summer
"It was tough," he says. "Some of the things that came out in the lead up to the cup final were really poor, I felt.

"He (Ten Hag) handled it brilliantly, to be honest, he just took each day as it comes. From us players, we didn’t see anything different in the manager, so credit to him for the way he handled it.

"And all his staff as well. Because there was so much uncertainty around the club. Especially the staff, the manager, all of the other staff as well around the club, they didn’t know what was happening the following year. It was tough.

"It probably did damage our performances and results throughout the season maybe a little bit. Especially when it happened around that Christmas period when we really did fall off.

Maguire clutches the FA Cup

Maguire clutches the FA Cup
"But credit to the manager, the way that he handled it. To have the lead up in the way that he did and to produce a performance like we did in the cup final and turn things around was really impressive."

The cup final after-party was a surreal celebration. "It was so strange," Maguire recalls. "No one really knew what was going on. No one had assurance.

"But I think, it’s the same as a player, it happens every summer at Manchester United. There are so many linked players, so many linked players away, you don’t know. It was tough.

"If you asked the players, they’ll probably just say they didn’t really know because no one really had a clue. But, really impressive with the way that he handled that week and took them out with a victory against probably the best team in Europe at the moment."

Maguire and Ten Hag are kindred spirits in that both came back from the brink. United accepted a £30m offer from West Ham last summer but failure to recompense Maguire for his shortfall in wages scuppered the move. Maguire went on to become United's most consistent centre half.

Maguire joined United in 2019

Maguire joined United in 2019
"I knew I had to bide my time and I spoke with the manager last year about my situation, whether to move on and get regular football and regular game time," Maguire explains. "But he fully believed in me, he always said there will be chances.

"There haven't been as many as there were in the previous year, but I backed myself to get back into his plans and I was really pleased with the way I handled last year. I thought my form was really, really good in every game I played. The only other part of it was that it was frustrating how many little injuries I did pick up throughout the season which really stopped me from starting 30-40 games, instead of the 20-odd I did."

Maguire fully approves of the eventual decision to retain Ten Hag. "Yes, definitely. He has shown we can beat the top teams and we have won two trophies in two years.

"The first season was really good, last season wasn’t. Last season was tough for Erik as well. There was so much uncertainty and the amount of injuries was freakish really and I am pretty confident that won’t happen this season.

"We have faith in the management team and the additions he has made are really good as well. The structure now, I really think it is going to work.

"There is more energy coming into this pre-season and more excitement. Last season was difficult with so much uncertainty with every member of staff and even players. It is definitely a more energised club now to be involved in. I do believe the structure they have go will get it back to where it should be."

That would be the United of yore.

jw5

Loyal
Harry is not that bad a player, but he is a horrendous captain. Whenever things went wrong while he was captain, he always had that look of disbelief and bewilderment on his face. :o-o::confused::eek:

Last edited:

red amoeba

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
new season starts tmr morning...Man U vs fulham and tmr evening.
10 dollar that Starhub will fuck up again and cause freezes to the live broadcast.