• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Majority Sporean not worried abt crisis as PAP has it covered

bart12

Alfrescian
Loyal
Has crisis shaken S'poreans?
Not really. Half of 100 polled by TNP seem unfazed. 'Our Govt has got it covered,' they say.

Those who expressed concern were worried about the possible impact on Singapore's economy and their daily lives. A weaker job market, lower pay and bonuses were other worries voiced. -- PHOTO: ASSOCIATED PRESS
THE nightmare on Wall Street reached Singapore on Wednesday, with The Straits Times Index nosediving a sharp 6.6 per cent. But it seems not many Singaporeans are too concerned.

In a poll of 100 Singaporeans conducted by The New Paper, 49 per cent said they were worried about the global carnage, while 51 per cent said they weren't.

None of those polled have investments in the stock market.

Most of those who expressed indifference felt that what was happening would not really affect them, at least not in the short term.

Marketing executive Ng Con Cie, 28, told TNP: 'I'm not an immediate victim because I don't invest.' Voicing similar sentiments is public relations consultant Vanessa Ho, 39, who feels 'more like an outsider looking in'.

Confidence in the Government is another reason cited for the lack of concern. Mr Lin Ah Beng, 55, a part-time taxi driver summed it up with, 'Our Government has got it covered.'

Those who expressed concern were worried about the possible impact on Singapore's economy and their daily lives.

Mr Greg Chong, 45, who is jobless, believes that everything will be affected ultimately. He said: 'Property prices go down, inflation goes up. Ordinary people like us will be affected, like it or not.'

A weaker job market, lower pay and bonuses were other worries voiced.

'The state of the economy directly affects my chances of getting a job,' said 23-year-old Diana Tan, who is jittery about her employment prospects. The Finance major will be graduating in three months.

Engineer Cheng Ying Hui, 28, said, 'A lot of things may no longer be within my means. I'm also worried about my (pay) increment for next year.'

For Mr Ken Ng, 27, who works for a company that trains finance professionals, the slowdown has already affected him.

'This crisis directly affects my bread and butter because there will be less people signing up for training due to budget cuts. This year has already been quieter for the company.'

myjohnson

Alfrescian
Loyal
The fuckers are damn arrogant because those who can threaten our survival are now immersed in their own problems. They will sing a different tune the day those guys are armed to their teeth. Whether they can do well to solve problems or not, Sinkies know they will keep increasing their own paychecks. Talk about conditioning of minds.

myo539

Alfrescian
Loyal
How can they be affected when the booking for overseas tours are on the rise? Tiger Airways just mentioned that their bookings are on the rise during this economic crisis! And look at the restaurant bookings - also solid!

We must thank the government for covering everything. While Thaman is optimistic about everything Lim SS sounds a little worried. Which one you want to believe in?
http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/381528/1/.html

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal

They interviewed the real peasants who wouldn't care if Singapore were upside down or horizontal !

Hell they even not rushing back to watch the stupid channel 8 programs on TV by walking slowly at the zebra crossing knowing that you coming as a vehicle neither giving way or walking faster and walking slowly not worried about their safty or giving due considerations for cars rushing.
You know the typical man on the street mentality.
Meant to be peasants for life.

The only retaliation to such peasants is that everyone will be taken and punished by the huge inflation and deflation that is happening.
It probably jolt those idiots up from their sleeping complacency.

The MilkMan

Alfrescian
Loyal
what has to come,will come sooner or later.
everyone will be worry,but is there anything you can do,except just be more prudent with our daily expenses only.

STUCK_HERE

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is NOT the PAP that has it covered, it is WE the people who has it covered! We build this cuntry for 40 years, thats why we got it covered, no matter what.

The PAP? Only know how to make statements like :

1. There will be more retrenchments.
2. Please tighten your belt, we have to increase this, increase that.
3. Growth will be stifled, prepare for bad times.

Stating the obvious. That's what they are good at. Even I who earn $3000 a month can give those statements to the people.

I dislike those assholes who always say the PAP will take care of it. FUCK OFF. I take care of it.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
those quoted are :

1) very young ( still in uni ),

2) young working adults without family

3) part-time taxi-driver :confused:

4) unemployed :eek:

5) near retiring age :biggrin:

WTF, the interview did not ask those in 30 to 40+ with family and school-going kids.. so it is selective survey.. no value at all

imperialarms

Alfrescian
Loyal
in recession PAP's winning vote reaches 80%%%

this is borne through out history

we should not fight it but join in the good times and golden period

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
before some thai loser come here to kpkb again :

I love my country singapore, but i hate the ruling party.. get the difference..

dun ask me go migrate to 3rd world country again hor.:biggrin:

po2wq

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
... In a poll of 100 Singaporeans conducted by The New Paper, 49 per cent said they were worried about the global carnage, while 51 per cent said they weren't. ...
51%? ... tis is betta than 66.6% ...

ze ful impact may nt b felt yet ... hope dey r nt being complacent ...

The_Latest_H

Alfrescian
Loyal
Sure, they can depend on the government who started this bubble economy in the first place. Its like Gotham City depending on the Joker for the security of their city and the people.

It doesn't work. After all, like what happened in the US, we are badly affected because the credit policies were loosen to allow people who couldn't afford credit to get expensive credit from banks and their CPF, to buy pigeon holes that were costly inflated.

And now banks are in deep crap because they are overexposed, and because couples are in trouble because they can't cover their payments. People who own landed properties are affected(but because they can hold for as long as possible, they probably won't need to sell it; they can wait for the upswing in the next year or so) already, but the full effect will be felt when the market hits the HDB bubble.

That's why I oppose a free market for public housing. Public housing should be operated on a different principle and mechanism, in which the free market doesn't belong. That's why the most expensive flat, on a 99 year lease, shouldn't cost more than $100- $150k at most. $650k is simply ridiculous as public housing isn't freehold property.

sherrry

Alfrescian
Loyal
Many other countries, they have their own resources, and surely have their own produces too.

In sg, the only resource is human, in times like these, they will continue milking the people like cows, put the people through the grind like sugar cane, shaft the people down the mill like soya bean, burrow deeper into our pockets like oil rigging.

Have they got it all covered? Yes, lacing everything with our blood & sweat of course.