• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

M1 Jiat Lui!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Blindsided by irony of 'lucky' levy for number portability
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->ABOUT two years ago, my wife, teenage son and I went to a MobileOne (M1) open house at Jurong Point atrium to sign up for an M1 line.
We selected the phone we wanted, chose from a list of numbers and signed the contract.
The sales promoter only highlighted to us that should we prematurely terminate our contract or downgrade our plan before the end of the two-year contract, we would be required to pay a penalty.
Note that I was just given a list of numbers to choose from and no special mention was made about this list. It was the usual practice of choosing a number from a list and nothing was said about the number I chose being a 'lucky' number when I signed the contract.
When my contract ended last month, I signed up with SingTel, taking advantage of the number portability scheme.
Imagine my surprise when I received my final M1 bill and it showed a charge of $100 for a 'lucky number fee levy' to port the number to SingTel.
There was nothing lucky about the number I chose. It was a random choice from a list. I would not have chosen that number or signed with M1 if it had been highlighted to me that the number was not portable or I would have to pay a fee of $100 to port it.
My wife did not recall any mention of this fee either. If anything, it should have been paid upfront, in which case I would not have signed the contract, and not at the end.
What is the point of the Infocomm Development Authority pushing for number portability if telcos can put in a clause in their contract that says otherwise?
This is the first time I have heard of a 'lucky number fee levy'. So to those about to sign a new contract with a telco, you should check if there is a cost involved if you port your number - in case the sales promoter conveniently forgets to mention it, as in my case.
So now, I am at a loss whether to hold out and not pay $100 for my
'unlucky' number or just pay up and blame myself for being unlucky. What irony - and all because of a 'lucky' number.
Randy Lee