• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

LuckyTan: Why PAP wants u to xfer CPF...

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top>
icon.aspx
Coffeeshop Chit Chat - LuckyTan: Why PAP wants u to xfer CPF...</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right>
icon.aspx
Subscribe </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"> </TD><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgF noWrap align=right width="1%">From: </TD><TD class=msgFname noWrap width="68%">Lola (Langusta) <NOBR></NOBR> </TD><TD class=msgDate noWrap align=right width="30%">Nov-13 7:36 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT noWrap align=right width="1%" height=20>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname noWrap width="68%">ALL <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right> (1 of 12) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft width="1%" rowSpan=4> </TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>2504.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgtxt>...into SA?
http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2008/11/govt-wants-you-transfer-money-into-cpf.html
<HR>Govt wants you transfer money into CPF SA...why?

There are advertisements everywhere in Singapore asking people to transfer their money into CPF special accounts.

25percent.jpg
The transfer earns you an extra 1.5% but is IRREVERSIBLE. Have you ever wondered why the govt is so eager to give you that extra 1.5% to lock up your money? Why are they advertising to give you this extra 1.5%?

Higher returns means higher risks. So when somebody tells you, ‘you get 1.5 per cent at the bank, I give you 5 per cent’, read the small print carefully.” - MM Lee (ST Online, “Lehman investors ‘aware of risks’”, 11 Nov 2008)

I was tempted but after listening to what MM Lee said about investments that return 5% per annum and how people deserve to lose their life savings going for 5% returns...I decided to give this transfer thingy a miss.
How does the CPF generate its returns anyway? CPF gets its returns lending money to the GIC. GIC then invests this money in bonds, stocks, foreign assets etc to generate this return and give it back to the CPF. By moving your money into SA, your money can be lent out to the GIC for longer periods. I was trying to find the prospectus for GIC so that I can read the fine print and go in with my "eyes open". However, there is not much Singaporeans can know about GIC except some of its speculacular investments in western banks and occasional release of its performance averaged over many years so you can't tell how it is doing for a particular year and what it is doing with your money exactly.
I'm really curious why there is so much advertising urging people to transfer their money to the SA.

".....because how can they pay you 5 per cent unless they are in dire need of the money?" - MM Lee, 11 Nov 2008
"Sir, did you ask that question when Citibank offered to pay 7% for the $10B GIC invested in their convertibles" - Lucky Tan.

c.bmp
In the US, when a stock falls below $10 it is a bad omen. The chance of it getting back above $10 is small. Citibank's stock fell below $10 yesterday and it trading at $8.75 right at this very moment. Although the GIC bought "ethernal" convertibles rather than stock...the fall in Citibank's stock can trigger a downgrade that will make the 7% return look like a raw deal relative to the risks.

UPDATE: Yesterday night while you were sleeping the DOW went up something like 550pts, one of the largest one day gain in history. Citigroup, however, was unable to close up falling to $9.45. I really wonder what is on the books of Citibank?....
</TD></TR><TR><TD> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

DerekLeung

Alfrescian
Loyal
Take out all your money now !

Let them die slowly !
And not let them trap you polictically, socially and economically with your CPF money . Holding you hostage !

theblackhole

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
all singaporeans should come out and donate your savings to the gahment. this is the only way to prevent this country from going down. take out your savings and donate to the world class governance to save yourself and to save all your fellow countrymen. hallelujah!