• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lorry crushes cyclist to death

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,212604,00.html?

ACCIDENT IN JALAN BESAR
Lorry crushes cyclist to death
September 04, 2009

NP_NEWS_1_CURRENT_NASMASH-WSB.jpg

COLLISION: A witness said that the lorry was turning left into Ophir Road when it hit the 80-year-old cyclist. TNP PICTURE: MOHD ISHAK

A LOUD sound jolted him from his thoughts as he was walking along Bencoolen Street yesterday.

And when the 30-year-old construction worker, who wanted to be known only as Mr Zainal, turned around to look at where it was coming from, he realised what had happened.

A tipper lorry had struck a cyclist, killing him instantly.

Mr Zainal was just 5m away from the junction of Jalan Besar and Ophir Road yesterday at about 9.25am when the accident happened.

He was on his way to Sim Lim Tower to buy something at the time.

Another witness, who declined to be named, said he saw the lorry coming from the extreme left lane of Jalan Besar.

When it turned left into Ophir Road, it hit the cyclist, who was cycling across the pedestrian crossing towards Bencoolen Street.

According to the witness, the red man was lit when the cyclist cycled across the pedestrian crossing.

Pronounced dead

A police spokesman confirmed that the cyclist, an 80-year-old man, was pronounced dead at the scene at about 9.40am.

When The New Paper arrived at the scene about an hour later, the tipper lorry belonging to Soon Li Heng Civil Engineering was on the second lane from the left of Ophir Road.

The lorry contained a full load of clay.

About a metre away was the body of the cyclist. The bicycle, with its seat detached, lay on top of him.

Nearby, there were two trails of blood.

According to the witness, the cyclist was crushed under the tyres.

Weighed 15 tonnes

The lorry, which was six-wheeled and single-axled at its rear, weighed closed to 15 tonnes with its load.

There were only slight scratches on the left bumper of the lorry.

The bottom left hand corner of its licence plate was also bent outwards.

The driver of the lorry seemed to be in a daze when The New Paper approached him.

He answered our queries in a sullen tone before he was taken away for further investigation.

The man, who appeared to be in his late 50s, said: 'I was turning in from Jalan Besar. Cannot see him.'

For an hour from 11.25am, the area was cordoned off, and traffic was congested on both Sungei Road and Jalan Besar.

Traffic heading towards Ophir Road could only travel along the two outermost lanes.

A tow truck later removed the bicycle.

Said Mr Daniel Tan, 57, a bank executive, who alerted The New Paper to the accident: 'There are always accidents happening at this junction.'

When contacted, the management of Soon Li Heng Civil Engineering declined comment.

Police said investigations are ongoing.

Nurul Asyikin Mohd Nasir, newsroom intern

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cyclists form 10% of traffic fatalities

STATISTICS show that each year, about 10 per cent of traffic accident fatalities are cyclists.

From 2007 to 2008, 44 cyclists were killed.

According to the Road Safety Act, it is illegal for cyclists to ride on footpaths and at pedestrian crossings.

Cyclists approaching pedestrian crossings should first dismount, and then push their bicycles across.

The law also states that all cyclists must obey the same rules as other vehicles such as cars and trucks when using a public road.

Microsoft

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Expected 2 happen sooner or later... Lots of cyclist along Serangoon Rd cycle as though they r the oni 1 tat pay road tax... Haizz...:(:(

Watchman

Alfrescian
Loyal
WTF is a 80 year old doing on the road !

It is like LKY says driving license is extended till 90 years old. When he find that he is coming to 90 .

Logisex

Alfrescian
Loyal
The problem is that there are no designated bicycle lanes and motorists here are not used to look out for bicycles.

Cestbon

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Hope he RIP. I hate most cyclist, they think road and walking pavement are belong to them.
1. Many are cycling in walking pavement and ringing the bell ask pedestrian to give way/get out of his way.
2. When crossing road eg zebra crossing/traffic light junction those stupid cyclist still on their bike they should push.
3. Many cyclist don't bother about red colour traffic light.
Hope this group of people hit buy they lorry.

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Since the authorities who pay themselves millions would not do it, we must take on the responsibility of educating other cyclists before more spill blood on the roads.

1. Never give way to cyclists on pavements, especially if they ring their bells.
  2. Block the paths of cyclists at crossings to the best of our abilities.
  3. If driving, do not hesitate to sound your horns at cyclists who ignore traffic lights.

And please shout and / or horn at cyclists who use the mobile phone without handsfree while cycling.

I sometimes cycle myself and am an advocate of the bicycle, which is why I am very upset when other cyclists give the bike a bad name. Let's educate them since the good-for-nothing police would rather surround CSJ and CSC.

Hope he RIP. I hate most cyclist, they think road and walking pavement are belong to them.
1. Many are cycling in walking pavement and ringing the bell ask pedestrian to give way/get out of his way.
2. When crossing road eg zebra crossing/traffic light junction those stupid cyclist still on their bike they should push.
3. Many cyclist don't bother about red colour traffic light.
Hope this group of people hit buy they lorry.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
i think it's always good manners for bigger vehicles to watchout for smaller ones, because if you are not alert, you will cause uncessary death....just imagine...what happens if his children suddenly don't have a father....very sad situation.....

let alone a bicycle or motorcycles....which are not protected in anyway....

singaporeans drivers need to show gracious especially to pedestrains too....

numero uno

Alfrescian
Loyal
Since the authorities who pay themselves millions would not do it, we must take on the responsibility of educating other cyclists before more spill blood on the roads.

1. Never give way to cyclists on pavements, especially if they ring their bells.
  2. Block the paths of cyclists at crossings to the best of our abilities.
  3. If driving, do not hesitate to sound your horns at cyclists who ignore traffic lights.

And please shout and / or horn at cyclists who use the mobile phone without handsfree while cycling.

I sometimes cycle myself and am an advocate of the bicycle, which is why I am very upset when other cyclists give the bike a bad name. Let's educate them since the good-for-nothing police would rather surround CSJ and CSC.
sound idealistic but not practical in Singapore. I last sounded my horn at a cyclist who cut through my path diagonally and he stop his bicycle and challenged me to a fight although he is clearly in the wrong. no point arguing with idiots and the traffic pollice just cannot be botehred. when has you seen a cyclist being fined in singapore?? quite common in europe if you break the law. No point educating idiots who account for 99% of all cyclist. horn them and they either try to pick a fight or just ignore you . go to geylang and you have them crossing red lights(like above) , against flow of traffic, cycling in the middle of a lane zig zag style and expect you to give way, talk on hand phone with one hand , cutting into other lanes wantonly, not looking before they cross, not wearing any reflectors or headlamp at night, cycling past zebra crossing suddenly( no warning or time to react like above) etc. They behave like in vietnam or china so I say just let nature takes it course. accidents like these are nature's way of getting rid of such recalcitrant idiots.

Last edited:

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
methinks there should be more bike lanes in the streets of SGP...a flatland country good for biking.

many developed countries have bike lanes in major cities.

that will cut down the no. of collisions between automobiles and bicycles..if both have their own lanes..

bike riders needs to learn and show basic hand signals before turning to inform the drivers to be careful....

there are going to be more bike riders in SGP, when more foreigners are coming into the country...

Last edited:

boring

Alfrescian
Loyal
methinks there should be more bike lanes in the streets of SGP...a flatland country good for biking.

many developed countries have bike lanes in major cities.

that will cut down the no. of collisions between automobiles and bicycles..if both have their own lanes..

bike riders needs to learn and show basic hand signals before turning to inform the drivers to be careful....

there are going to be more bike riders in SGP, when more foreigners are coming into the country...

don't be like pap asses always talk about flat land flatland, flat chest then true, the super hot weather cause so uncomfortable to cycle for work...

besotted

Alfrescian
Loyal
there are too many cars on singapore roads

there should be a rule banning more than 50% financing and floor price for coe at 100k

that shud cut demand substantially