• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Lisa Li Shi-En: I teach General Paper, not homosexuality

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Whatever the issue, let's learn to argue well
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->THE art of argument does not come naturally. I, for one, dislike open confrontation; it feels too raw, too unpleasant. How much easier, it seems, to endure the irritation and avoid the quarrel.

Yet, against my own inclinations, I have learnt that being able to articulate dissatisfaction, accept criticism and discuss conflicting opinions is a difficult but necessary skill that I must acquire for my relationships to last beyond the quarrels.
I believe this is no different for our country. Singapore has matured into a highly educated nation with its fair share of outspoken members of society.
The recent intense debates over issues of sexuality, education, civil society, bureaucracy and governance are not an anomaly, but a trend that is here to stay. It is inevitable - and exciting - that we are unafraid to hold such different views. Therefore, given that there will always be a conflict of views, let us learn to argue well.
Here is my experience. On May 11, I wrote a casual note, 'I teach General Paper, not homosexuality', in support of critical thinking and reasoned discussion in General Paper. This was posted on my personal Facebook page.
To my knowledge, what I wrote was based on reason and anyone who disagreed with my logic, facts or opinions could easily have rebutted me openly. In fact, I was pleasantly surprised that the note generated a healthy, thoughtful debate of almost 100 comments in barely two days.
Two days later, I received word that someone had taken my Facebook note to the Ministry of Education (MOE) and complained about it. As a result, I had to remove that note.
I mention this example, not to bay for blood, or to call for critics to defame my workplace or the MOE. That would be extremely unconstructive and completely against the point of this article. I mention this example - to look forward. I strongly believe that in this maturing society, we need to relook at the unspoken rules of dialogue and debate in civil society.
Therefore, given that Singapore will always have a diversity of views which cannot ever be fully censored, I suspect we will not stop arguing. Our best course of action is to learn to argue well. Lisa Li Shi-En (Ms)

th_pvhmx.jpg

U want to argue with me or my hatchet? *hee*hee*