• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Like DAT also CAN?

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
What's the point of covering up? Is there a clean image to begin with?

China covered up milk scare to protect Olympics: critics (September 30, 2008, AFP)
China knew about the contamination of milk products months ago but covered the scandal up to prevent it tarnishing the Beijing Olympics, according to journalists, rights groups and media critics. The crisis broke in mid-September, a month after the Olympics, but several Chinese reporters had long known about babies being hospitalized after drinking tainted milk, yet were muzzled by the authorities, the critics say. An editor at a respected southern China newspaper said that as early as July one of his reporters was investigating how milk powder might have been to blame for children developing kidney stones and falling seriously sick. "As a news editor, I was deeply concerned because I sensed that this was going to be a huge public health disaster," Southern Weekend news editor Fu Jianfeng said on his blog. "But I could not send any reporters out to investigate. Therefore, I harboured a deep sense of guilt and defeat at the time." Fu's blog posting was later removed, although it could be read on some overseas Chinese websites. Fu himself could not be reached for comment. Chinese premier Wen Jiabao vowed over the weekend to work to restore his country's reputation, saying it was facing the problem "candidly". However, there are claims that Chinese authorities reverted to the familiar practice of squashing the negative news reports, apparently conscious of the damage it would do to the August 8-24 Olympics. Sanlu Group began receiving complaints of sick children as early as last December, a recent cabinet probe found in an apparent attempt to shift the blame for the delay. It also said Communist officials in the northern city of Shijiazhuang, where Sanlu is based, delayed referring the matter to higher authorities for more than a month after Sanlu finally told them of the problem on August 2, six days before the Beijing Games began.

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
since your title is open ended... i add in this :

Decision on workers slum in serangoon already made before consultation with residents..

Like Dat also Can??:biggrin:

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
In factoring this, is the government of Singapore really so bad?

supposing there's truly an economic downturn in the near future and the ministars dish out their millions from their own pockets to help the poor and old in the streets, then i'd say the govt. isn't really that bad after all :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

papa san

Alfrescian
Loyal
Can.

All governments do this. They weigh the consequences, sometimes incorrectly.

In China's case, even assuming the government knows and announces it during the Olympics, the consequences would be far greater damaging. So the lesser of the evils is chosen

Damage control has to be carried now for China, whatever it is.

papa san

Alfrescian
Loyal
supposing there's truly an economic downturn in the near future and the ministars dish out their millions from their own pockets to help the poor and old in the streets, then i'd say the govt. isn't really that bad after all :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Many bad economic times happened in Singapore during the last 50 years. So far no track record of ministers dishing out from their own pockets. You say like this CAN or NOT ?

zhihau

Super Moderator
SuperMod
Asset
Many bad economic times happened in Singapore during the last 50 years. So far no track record of ministers dishing out from their own pockets. You say like this CAN or NOT ?

is like that ar? don't like ar? then be like me and start preparing to move out of here loh... :p