• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Levy $10 deposit to deter trolley thefts

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Levy $10 deposit to deter trolley thefts
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->YESTERDAY'S report, 'Supermarts' bugbear: trolley thieves', refers to a problem that has existed for a long time.
It reflects a deterioration in values in our society. People have become lazy, ill-mannered and dishonest. Otherwise, how else can you explain people taking something that does not belong to them, with no intention of returning it to the rightful owner or abandoning it.
Will education help? I doubt it.
Educational programmes over the years have not improved the problem of littering, road rage or bad behaviour on the trains. And I do not think security officers can improve matters much either. Surely they are unable to tell whether a customer is going to walk away with the trolley just by looking at him?
If we do not put a stop to this habit of dishonesty, our children and grandchildren will grow up thinking it is a harmless joke and carry on with it.
I believe the problem can be solved by increasing the deposit amount for these trolleys to $10. Supermarkets should install a machine that dispenses a unique token - different for each supermarket - that will release the trolley. The $10 can be recovered when the trolley is returned to its station.
The $10 deposit should persuade more people to return their trolleys than a costly education programme, bothersome in-store announcements and additional security officers. Murali Sharma

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
Go to STOMP.com and search for 'trolley'.

Might as well go all the way, rent it out like bicycle at the beach with IC and payments. I can't stand the thought of people stealing trolleys also.