• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Letter in Support of Viswa!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>It will take more than the Pledge to build nationhood and unity
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->NOMINATED Member of Parliament Viswa Sadasivan's maiden speech in Parliament reported on Wednesday ('NMP urges Singapore: Let's stick to Pledge principles') has given us something to build on.
In heading a mid-size firm (far less complex than a country), I have found it beneficial to have a set of guiding principles for all. It forms as a binder for a value-based outfit and can form the basis of the culture of the company.
Drawing from that, I can relate to the idea of using the National Pledge as a unifying and guiding code, much like Pancasila did for a disparate collection of people in Indonesia when the Dutch left and keeping the country united was crucial.
The frequent and continuous affirmation of a common set of values, as in the Pledge, can improve cohesion among different races, socioeconomic groups and even help integrate new Singaporeans into the fold.
However, my feeling is it is not sufficient just to have a common set of values. A common vision and sense of destiny are just as important. If people can buy in to what the country is aspiring to become, there may be less of the brain drain Mr Viswa referred to in his speech.
As Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong mentioned in his National Day Rally speech (using an Urban Redevelopment Authority simulation), it is important that a clear vision be articulated of what can be. Such a vision should encompass both the hard and soft goals we aim for. On the soft side, we could hope to become more gracious, more tolerant of other religions and more green, while not letting up on hard economic strides to stay ahead of the curve.
With a clear vision, there should also be a set of clear outcomes, that is, what is in it for whom. Given the many different interest groups in society, it will be a challenge to ensure that none feels marginalised or left behind.
In a nutshell, the Pledge as a way to affirm ourselves to nationhood and build cohesion is great, but it will take more. A clear vision and a sense of who gets what from that is just as vital. In addition, a rigorous way of communicating this across the ranks regardless of their respective standing in Maslow's hierarchy of needs.
Perhaps then we can start to get everyone to vote with their heart, and not just their head, for the best governing party in the world. We have a marvellous country and it is exciting that we can make Singapore even better so people continue to make it their preferred home.
S.G. Aswani

Communist

Alfrescian
Loyal
Another Indian talking. What's the global market worth of their words? Mine, worth nothing locally, I have to admit.........