• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Letter From Jalan Besar GRC Resident To Yaacob Ibrahim, MP & Minister

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Dr. Yaacob,

I'm writing to you as you're both MP for Jalan Besar GRC (Kolam Ayer Division) and Minister for Environment. I thank you for your efforts in keeping an aging estate maintained well with regular UP and HIP among other programmes. I particularly would like to congratulate you for work well done at the ABC Waterfront that even MM Lee Kuan Yew visited with praise a few months ago.

However, there's a chronic problem with the ever increasing population of stray cats, crows and pigeons. They ravage and scavenge rubbish bins and dumps thereby creating hygiene and health problems for residents and especially children. They go for leftover foods at hawker centres and coffeeshops and scattered their own leftovers all over the place anywhere after their raids and fills.

I've even seen birds directly raiding for freshly cooked foods at the stalls. The stallholders would just shoo the birds away. They won't throw the whole tray away as that's too costly to them. Seeing that, of course I won't eat from that stall, at least not for that day. However, what if the other stall that I ate from also got raided by birds earlier that I didn't see? What about all the other residents and customers?

What's the root of the problem? I think that for the birds, it's overplanting of trees that create natural habitat to attract them and breed them. I believe most of us like a green garden environment, yes, but not a jungle! I've even had my kitchen raided by crows flying sorties launched from trees 6 or 7 storeys high through the kitchen window. Many of my neighbourhood folks have the same experience too.

Another cause of the problem is well-meaning but misguided folks feeding them in the sense of "accumulating merit by doing good." NEA has to take strict action to stop them, with penalty if necessary, because they're doing more harm than good. NEA also has to step up stray cat catching and stray bird shooting in this area. I hope you'll look into this with serious concern and not let whatever record of good work you've done for this community be marred and stained by overlooking and neglecting this problem for too long.

Yours sincerely,

XXXXXXXXXXX
Kolam Ayer Resident
Singapore Citizen

CC:

- Dr. Lily Neo (MP Jalan Besar GRC)
- Mr. Heng Chee How (MP Jalan Besar GRC)
- Mr. Lee Boon Yang (MP Jalan Besar GRC)
- Miss Denise Phua (MP Jalan Besar GRC / JBTC Feedback)
- Mr. Goh Meng Seng (Sec-Gen. NSP since NSP last contested and indicated continuing interest to contest Jalan Besar GRC)
- Miss Cassandra Chew (ST Reporter who did an elaborate article on Jalan Besar GRC a few months ago)

BCC:

- To some of my neighbours also concerned but wish to remain anonymous

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
I have never understood why they deploy sharpshooters for culling crow population? Don't they know the riddle of 10 little birds sitting on the coconut tree. :biggrin:

Why don't they target the eggs? The trees top are easily within the reach of today's crane, don't they?

Tristan

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear Resident,

Thank you for your letter praising my efforts in keeping an aging estate maintained well with regular UP and HIP among other programmes. Thank you also for my work well done at the ABC Waterfront that even MM Lee Kuan Yew visited with praise a few months ago.

That is all. Your other problems, I not interested.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear Resident,

Thank you for your letter praising my efforts in keeping an aging estate maintained well with regular UP and HIP among other programmes. Thank you also for my work well done at the ABC Waterfront that even MM Lee Kuan Yew visited with praise a few months ago.

That is all. Your other problems, I not interested.

You're ministerial calibre!

jw5

Loyal
You're ministerial calibre!
A ministar would not write the last line in that way.
How about this:
"As for your other concerns, the relevant authorities would look into it and take the appropriate action".

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
A ministar would not write the last line in that way.
How about this:
"As for your other concerns, the relevant authorities would look into it and take the appropriate action".

What relevant authorities? The Jalan Besar Town Council is under him. The Ministry of Environment is under him. If he's irrelevant, who else is? :confused:

Papsmearer

Alfrescian (InfP) - Comp
Generous Asset
Dear Kolam Ayer Resident,

Thank you for your letter regarding the hygiene situation at your estate and the matter of the stray cats, pigeons, and crows. I hereby issue you a warning not to harrass my cats, pigeons and crows. They have been placed there for my specific enjoyment. During my lunch hour, I like to go there and watch people trying to avoid getting bombed by birdshit, and I always applaude when the bird is on target. The stray cats are also a great source for meat incase the hawkers run out during the day. Nothing like freshly killed cat .....er I mean chicken, duck, etc. to serve to their customers. Therefore, you can see there are many advantages to keeping these critters around. I remind you that you can be fined $5000 or 10 strokes of the cane for bothering any of the animals.

Your humble servant,

Yourcock Ibrahim
Minister for Environment

ivebert

Alfrescian
Loyal
What relevant authorities? The Jalan Besar Town Council is under him. The Ministry of Environment is under him. If he's irrelevant, who else is? :confused:

At the end, you are saying that the Govt must go educate the public not to feed the birds and also to get rid of the birds. As if Yaacob is the person responsible for doing this. All the useless Sinkie civil peasants are not doing their job. Why not blame these losers?

The message is that all the Sinkie peasants at the hawker centers are stupid and don't have a single bit of intelligence not to feed the birds.

Want to blame, blame your peasant stock :oIo:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset

Why everyone blame Abang!, he is too busy, the sky must look after, the water must look after, the makan must look after; when shortie Hylam MBT was the Mnister for the envronment, he has less problems.

They must get him back to now known as NEA...:biggrin:

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Why everyone blame Abang!, he is too busy, the sky must look after, the water must look after, the makan must look after; when shortie Hylam MBT was the Mnister for the envronment, he has less problems.

They must get him back to now known as NEA...:biggrin:

Whichever minister's in-charge of environment, this is basically a constituency problem to begin with, in Yaacob Ibrahim's constituency and he happens to be the minister for environment too. What's the point of having a minister for environment as your MP when your environment sucks? Conducive and accommodating to stray cats and birds only.

HellAngel

Alfrescian
Loyal
Dear concerned resident,

I wish to thank you for writing in and expressing your appreciation to me about what a great job I've done for the estate. I have forwarded part of your email to our glorious PM for him to take note.

As for the bird problem as mentioned by you, I have informed the relevant authorities of the problem. They should get back to you whenever possible. May I suggest that for the time being, keep your window closed so that the crow would not fly into your kitchen to attack the food. You may wish to note that feeding the crow is an offence which you have just disclosed and admitted to me.

regards,

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Whichever minister's in-charge of environment, this is basically a constituency problem to begin with, in Yaacob Ibrahim's constituency and he happens to be the minister for environment too. What's the point of having a minister for environment as your MP when your environment sucks? Conducive and accommodating to stray cats and birds only.

The stray cats keep the mice population in check, though useless against rats, but they serve their purpose.

The crows are a menance, flocks in large number indicates that the area is not properly clean, that you have to complain to Abang & AVA. If that is not the case, the crows are breeding like no tomorrow, then, that is Nparks problem. Abang too busy lah!.

As for pigeons you have to literally shoot the people that feeds them & encourage them to congregate & breed.

:biggrin:

blackmore

Alfrescian
Loyal
The stray cats keep the mice population in check, though useless against rats, but they serve their purpose.

The crows are a menance, flocks in large number indicates that the area is not properly clean, that you have to complain to Abang & AVA. If that is not the case, the crows are breeding like no tomorrow, then, that is Nparks problem. Abang too busy lah!.

As for pigeons you have to literally shoot the people that feeds them & encourage them to congregate & breed.

:biggrin:

AVA or NPark where got bother about crow ? NEA subcontract the culling of crows many years ago to CISCO. Want to complain , complain to the lazy buggers in CISCO to get the job done since they are paid to do the job anyway.

Abang besar where got the time and breathe to micro manage all these nitty gritty matters one ? He must look good first mah and all his civil servant underlings are not doing enough.

Equalisation

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
AVA or NPark where got bother about crow ? NEA subcontract the culling of crows many years ago to CISCO. Want to complain , complain to the lazy buggers in CISCO to get the job done since they are paid to do the job anyway.

Abang besar where got the time and breathe to micro manage all these nitty gritty matters one ? He must look good first mah and all his civil servant underlings are not doing enough.

Seriously, if the crows are to be eradicated, there is a necessity to bring in a few eagles from the American deserts .....:o

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Jalan Besar Town Council has replied to the email last week. The week NEA came and pruned and choped off some overgrown or mislocated trees, caught most of the stray cats, shot most of the crows and pigeons. It's a nicer and more hygienic environment now. Hope they keep it up and don't let them return. Write to or see your MP if you have problem with your environment, community or even personally. With valid concern or complaint, they'd have to act upon it. Otherwise, vote them out!

HTOLAS

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Dear XXXXX

Thank you for taking time to compose your valuable feedback. It helps us to better the living standards of residents like you.

We have notes all your concerns and you will be pleased to know that we have acted on them accordingly. You will pleasantly surprised at the improvements that have flowed from our action on your feedback even if it is not immediately obvious to you.

In fact, it may be the case that you will not see the improvements until you get used to how different things really are.

Thank you again.

Your serving MP for life