• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Learn a paps‘ new word a day:MOLLYCODY

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
This bloody idiot who spent his whole career being moddycolled by the PAP in People's Association has the gall to talk about Singaporean being moddycolled by this heartless govt. Remember this name Sam Tan when the next election comes.

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_381483.html

We're too mollycoddled

Mr Sam Tan, MP for Marine Parade GRC, is worried that Singaporeans might have been so mollycoddled by the Government that they have become so used to what he calls 'recession cushion'. -- ST PHOTO: LIM SIN THAI

MANY Singaporeans see Government help as an entitlement, something they would tap on as a first port of call rather than as a last resort, said a backbencher in Parliament on Monday.

Recession? What recession?
DESPITE all the gloom and doom coming out of the United States and other countries, it seems 'business as usual' for Singaporeans, who are still spending freely and as cheerful as ever, an MP has noted.

Mr Sam Tan, MP of Tanjong Pagar GRC, wondered if this 'buoyant optimism' is the Government's fault.
... more
Mr Sam Tan, MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, is worried that Singaporeans might have been so mollycoddled by the Government that they have become 'practised at the craft of recession cushioning', and so accustomed to the government largesse.
'Each time the economy shows signs of slowing down, we've the NTUC and the e2i coming out to the forefront to job match, provide training, reduce retrenchment,' he said in his speech on the President's address.

'We've Ministry of National Development pump-priming with infrastructure projects. We've, of course, the Ministry of Communications, Youth and Sports and its numerous help schemes.'

Making clear that he is 'not diminishing the efforts' of civil servants and unionists, Mr Tan added: 'I am, however, wondering what the true impact of all these efforts are.

'Suppose you're the father of an eight-year-old boy who wants to learn how to cycle. Do you line the streets with cushions so that he would not hurt himself if he loses his balance?

'Do you brace his knees, and every conceivable part of his exposedbody with padding? You might, if you were an extremely protective father. But a commonsensical approach would be to let the boy have a go at it himself, and take the knocks and spills as they come.

'A boy who's mollycoddled is a very different person from the one who is physically tough and take the spills without fear, and whining. The latter, I think could be the approach that we take towards helping Singaporeans during tough times.'

Citing an example to back his point, Mr Tan said recently he has seen many residents, especially the elderly, come and see him at meet-the-people sessions.

'The difference is that while in the past, many of them would be hesitant to do so, and would rely on their children first. Today, many see the government help as an entitlement, something that they should tap on as a first port of call, rather than a last resort.

'I want to spare my children the burden of caring for me', they tell me. I am frankly astonished and dismayed, for my traditional Confucius values tell me that it is the natural obligation for children to look after their parents, and for the parents to be cared for by their children when they grow old.

'I would sometimes tell them 'You should let the children care for you, not the state, not because this is a good public policy (although it is), not because society expects it (although it might), but because it is the right thing to do.

'It is filial piety, one of the most fundamental values of the human race.'

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
singaporeans cheerful ?! hah ! ... :mad:

maybe the students/youngsters are spending freely bcos they are not the ones earning the money ... their parents won't be cheerful for long when they learn abt their kids wasteful habits ... :rolleyes:

halsey02

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What SINgaporeans discover what is MOLLYCODDLED?.....ask them about their CPF money...They have been so mollycoddled with your CPF money, that, when you are dead and gone...it is still not yours, and not much to be received, when alive!:biggrin:

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

i_am_belle

Alfrescian
Loyal
This bloody idiot who spent his whole career being moddycolled by the PAP in People's Association has the gall to talk about Singaporean being moddycolled by this heartless govt. Remember this name Sam Tan when the next election comes....

... Mr Sam Tan, MP for Marine Parade GRC, is worried that Singaporeans might have been so mollycoddled by the Government that they have become so used to what he calls 'recession cushion'. -- ST PHOTO: LIM SIN THAI

MANY Singaporeans see Government help as an entitlement, something they would tap on as a first port of call rather than as a last resort, said a backbencher in Parliament on Monday.

Recession? What recession?
DESPITE all the gloom and doom coming out of the United States and other countries, it seems 'business as usual' for Singaporeans, who are still spending freely and as cheerful as ever, an MP has noted.

Mr Sam Tan, MP of Tanjong Pagar GRC, wondered if this 'buoyant optimism' is the Government's fault.
... more
Mr Sam Tan, MP for Tanjong Pagar GRC, is worried that Singaporeans might have been so mollycoddled by the Government that they have become 'practised at the craft of recession cushioning', and so accustomed to the government largesse.
'Each time the economy shows signs of slowing down, we've the NTUC and the e2i coming out to the forefront to job match, provide training, reduce retrenchment,' he said in his speech on the President's address.

the word 'largesse' and 'PAP' do not go together ... jobs that NTUC & e21 try to match to the unemployed are lousy jobs, what ... put it this way - even without the help of e21, sinkees will still be able to get those jobs bcos they're in the papers all the time recession or no recession - childcare teachers, security guards, masseurs, gym instructors, public bus drivers, clerks in far flung small companies in tuas, fastfood outlets ... plenty of such jobs ... its just that sinkees want to find something better than these ... in other words, e21 is just a 'wayang' ...

'We've Ministry of National Development pump-priming with infrastructure projects. We've, of course, the Ministry of Communications, Youth and Sports and its numerous help schemes.'

Making clear that he is 'not diminishing the efforts' of civil servants and unionists, Mr Tan added: 'I am, however, wondering what the true impact of all these efforts are.

'Suppose you're the father of an eight-year-old boy who wants to learn how to cycle. Do you line the streets with cushions so that he would not hurt himself if he loses his balance?

'Do you brace his knees, and every conceivable part of his exposedbody with padding? You might, if you were an extremely protective father. But a commonsensical approach would be to let the boy have a go at it himself, and take the knocks and spills as they come.

'A boy who's mollycoddled is a very different person from the one who is physically tough and take the spills without fear, and whining. The latter, I think could be the approach that we take towards helping Singaporeans during tough times.'

mollycoddled ? i think PAP is not helping the ppl enough ! :mad:

Citing an example to back his point, Mr Tan said recently he has seen many residents, especially the elderly, come and see him at meet-the-people sessions.

'The difference is that while in the past, many of them would be hesitant to do so, and would rely on their children first. Today, many see the government help as an entitlement, something that they should tap on as a first port of call, rather than a last resort.

'I want to spare my children the burden of caring for me', they tell me. I am frankly astonished and dismayed, for my traditional Confucius values tell me that it is the natural obligation for children to look after their parents, and for the parents to be cared for by their children when they grow old.

'I would sometimes tell them 'You should let the children care for you, not the state, not because this is a good public policy (although it is), not because society expects it (although it might), but because it is the right thing to do.

'It is filial piety, one of the most fundamental values of the human race.

filial piety is no doubt praise-worthy, but TIMES HAVE CHANGED ... ppl don't have as many children as they did in the past, and bcos times are hard, some children are unable to provide for their parents ... everytime PAP wants to shirk responsibility for caring for the old & needy, they bring up 'confucius values' to push the responsibility back to the citizens ... :mad:

i hope s'poreans are more discerning of the true colors of this govt, and won't be conned by the likes of sam tan ...

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
EXCELLENCE

that was one of the oldies word woody had taught us.

SWISS STANDARD

....and many more. learn a new paps' words revision lesson begins!! :biggrin:

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
there would be a new word that peasants would hate to learn:

PINNACLE #1

just as in EXCELLENCE!, we are indeed LUMPAR 1!!:p

Eurekas

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our PAP MPs are really mollycoddled. They are given a lot of money and directorships after they joined the PAP as an MP, many of them go through the parliament through the backdoor without contesting with opposition and with so many ministers talking up and protecting them, a PAP MP is really a mollycoddled job.

leetahbar

Alfrescian
Loyal
Our PAP MPs are really mollycoddled. They are given a lot of money and directorships after they joined the PAP as an MP, many of them go through the parliament through the backdoor without contesting with opposition and with so many ministers talking up and protecting them, a PAP MP is really a mollycoddled job.

another new word for peasants:

MULTI-TASKING - many tasks for a miserable wage.

for paps mps' case, MUCH MONEY for little work.

Last edited: