• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Khaw: S'pore's fight almost over

metalslug

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_401922.html

S'pore's fight almost over
By Jamie Ee

sg-khaw.jpg

Mr Khaw said one reason Singaporeans have performed relatively well during this pandemic is because they have been kept well-informed. -- ST PHOTO

SINGAPORE is into the last leg of its fight against Influenza A (H1N1) and Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said he now has three priorities: to focus on high-risk groups, to reflect on the lessons learnt so far, and to prepare for the next wave.

He said Singaporeans have done well in combating the virus, but urged them not to be complacent.

'Now you begin to have complicated cases, bound to get some sad stories, maybe deaths, going forward, as you see in other countries, so that may be hard to avoid. But our job is to minimise that,' he told reporters on the sidelines of the Health & You Exhibition at Suntec City on Saturday.

Since last Monday, at least two men infected with H1N1 have been admitted to the intensive care unit as their conditions were more serious. Both had underlying medical conditions.

Mr Khaw said one reason Singaporeans have performed relatively well during this pandemic is because they have been kept well-informed.

'I think the media does a very good job, updating the people every day, advising them on what they should do. And by and large, Singaporeans comply. So when they have a fever, they do see the doctor, call 993, and that's why we have been able to manage this problem as well as we can.'

He also elaborated on his three priorities in this last leg of the fight against the virus, which first appeared here on May 27.

The first would be to focus on the high-risk groups and to ensure that they have the best chance of fully recovering. These patients may have to go to intensive care units. High-risks groups include the young, the old and those with underlying medical problems like diabetics.

The second priority is to conduct a post-mortem of how Singapore has reacted to the first wave of the virus. The authorities are taking a pause to reflect on what have been learnt since the World Health Organisation sounded the alert on the virus about 10 weeks ago so that they can do better.

'I think there are good lessons to be learnt, so that's ongoing,' he said.

Finally, Singapore must prepare for the next wave of the virus if it comes.

Read the full report in The Sunday Times.

Leegimeremover

Alfrescian
Loyal
Quitter. Typical of money hungry thick skinned MPs. Oh, what is this thing about PCC and PCC staff? Maybe you cow need someone to PCC for you, I can do it ,myself.

Last edited:

COW flu

Alfrescian
Loyal
YES! Fight is OVER!

With that FT COW inside his COFFIN!

Pui!

RESIGN COW! Why do we still need you?

CNY_OX09

Alfrescian
Loyal
that is becos it is already so wide spread,almost out of control.
now they are treating it like a normal cold.
i heard from one of my colleague who visited TTSH,those patients being examined for H1N1 are basically sitting and sleeping along the corridor and everywhere. :mad:

myfoot123

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
He wanted to claim credit early by saying this while the number of H1N1 continue to mount every week? The fight is definitely not over, we have malaria too and they are still struggling to contain it.

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
From now on I won't be surprised if they'll try to supress the real numbers. Of course to avoid alarming the population :mad:

So what was the last count 1,000 "official" cases. :confused:

Loofydralb

Alfrescian
Loyal
Yeah you idiot Khaw Boon Wan!!!!

Get it into your head that there is no wayyy....I say again no way to prevent a viral flu from spreading.

All these recent measures that you have taken is all just a WASTE OF PUBLIC MONEY!!!!!

And its proven now since you've given up fighting, tracing, quaranteeing, the bug.

And they pay you million $$ salary to make these wastages? Dumb. Period.

Glaringly

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
From now on I won't be surprised if they'll try to supress the real numbers. Of course to avoid alarming the population :mad:

So what was the last count 1,000 "official" cases. :confused:

No they don't. They just had to do a aka unemployment statistic. The numbers will sort itself out and will always be reflected as low.:biggrin::biggrin:

streetsmart73

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
hi there

1. bingo.
2. any cow can easily "moo" about such crap out.
3. it does not take a 3ml cow to moo same old same old as what "who" had mooed.
4. just clueless and wait for who's next move.
5. good monies paid with no concrete action.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
Not that I like this guy but I think he is better than Hairdo Lim in handling this outbreak. Hairdo Lim is a joker when SARS times... :biggrin:

Frankiestine

Alfrescian
Loyal
Of course the fight over, it was never one to begin with. The lembu man simply lost the fight and couldn't keep the disease at bay despite all the so call preventive measures in place...so instead of saying he threw in the towel, just throw some smoke grenade and do a hasty retreat...

Goh Meng Seng

Alfrescian (InfP) [Comp]
Generous Asset
It is basically a knock out.

I don't know what is the mentality behind. Maybe they feel that there are just too many new cases and the temperature scanning will not stop the wave of increases. So we just dismantle all of them!

It is really an absurd idea; it is just like declaring we lost, surrender and disarm ourselves! Really scratch my head over this one.

Goh Meng Seng

Areopagus

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the National Neuroscience Institute Director put it in a very interesting light when she talked about the witch doctor doing the rain dance in her column in the Sunday Times last week

rainnix

Alfrescian
Loyal
It is basically a knock out.

I don't know what is the mentality behind. Maybe they feel that there are just too many new cases and the temperature scanning will not stop the wave of increases. So we just dismantle all of them!

It is really an absurd idea; it is just like declaring we lost, surrender and disarm ourselves! Really scratch my head over this one.

Goh Meng Seng

A lousy filter is always better than no filter at all!

Dear Mr. Khaw,

Are you getting complacent? Please don't shift blame to us when the virus H1N1 turns fatal.

MentisMortis

Alfrescian
Loyal
http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_401922.html

S'pore's fight almost over
By Jamie Ee

sg-khaw.jpg

Mr Khaw said one reason Singaporeans have performed relatively well during this pandemic is because they have been kept well-informed. -- ST PHOTO

SINGAPORE is into the last leg of its fight against Influenza A (H1N1) and Health Minister Khaw Boon Wan said he now has three priorities: to focus on high-risk groups, to reflect on the lessons learnt so far, and to prepare for the next wave.

He said Singaporeans have done well in combating the virus, but urged them not to be complacent.

'Now you begin to have complicated cases, bound to get some sad stories, maybe deaths, going forward, as you see in other countries, so that may be hard to avoid. But our job is to minimise that,' he told reporters on the sidelines of the Health & You Exhibition at Suntec City on Saturday.

Since last Monday, at least two men infected with H1N1 have been admitted to the intensive care unit as their conditions were more serious. Both had underlying medical conditions.

Mr Khaw said one reason Singaporeans have performed relatively well during this pandemic is because they have been kept well-informed.

'I think the media does a very good job, updating the people every day, advising them on what they should do. And by and large, Singaporeans comply. So when they have a fever, they do see the doctor, call 993, and that's why we have been able to manage this problem as well as we can.'

He also elaborated on his three priorities in this last leg of the fight against the virus, which first appeared here on May 27.

The first would be to focus on the high-risk groups and to ensure that they have the best chance of fully recovering. These patients may have to go to intensive care units. High-risks groups include the young, the old and those with underlying medical problems like diabetics.

The second priority is to conduct a post-mortem of how Singapore has reacted to the first wave of the virus. The authorities are taking a pause to reflect on what have been learnt since the World Health Organisation sounded the alert on the virus about 10 weeks ago so that they can do better.

'I think there are good lessons to be learnt, so that's ongoing,' he said.

Finally, Singapore must prepare for the next wave of the virus if it comes.

Read the full report in The Sunday Times.

Yeah right stupid idiot!

GENEVA (AFP) - - The swine flu pandemic has grown "unstoppable" and all nations will need access to vaccines, a WHO official has said, as 12 new deaths were reported and a study raised fresh concerns.

Britain, Brazil, Colombia, Mexico, the Philippines and Thailand all reported deaths on Monday, while Saudi Arabia shut an international school after 20 students were diagnosed with the A(H1N1) virus.

As the death toll increased, the World Health Organisation official said a swine flu vaccine should be available as early as September and all countries would need to be able to protect themselves.

A group of vaccination experts concluded after a recent meeting that "the H1N1 pandemic is unstoppable and therefore all countries would need to have access to vaccines," said Marie-Paul Kieny, WHO director on vaccine research.

Health workers should be at the top of the list for vaccination since they will be in high demand as people continue to fall sick, she added.

Countries would be free to decide on their national priorities, but other groups should include pregnant women and anyone over six months old who has chronic health problems, the WHO official said.

Particular attention would have to be paid to children since they are considered "amplifiers" of the spread of the virus, especially when gathered in schools, Kieny added.

More than 90,000 swine flu cases have been reported worldwide, including 429 deaths, the most recent WHO numbers from last week show.

While most cases have been considered mild, a study released on Monday said the virus causes more lung damage than ordinary seasonal flu strains but still responds to antiviral drugs.

Virologists tested samples of the virus taken from patients in the United States as well as several seasonal flu viruses on mice, ferrets, macaque monkeys and specially-bred miniature pigs.

They found that A(H1N1) caused more severe lung lesions among mice, ferrets and macaques than the seasonal flu viruses.

But it did not cause any symptoms among the mini-pigs, which could explain why there has been no evidence that pigs in Mexico fell sick with the disease before the outbreak began among humans.

The team also found that the virus was highly sensitive to two approved and two experimental antiviral drugs, including Tamiflu, now being hurriedly stockpiled around the world.

This confirms the drugs' role as a "first line of defence" against the flu pandemic, they said.

The worry about the present strain of A(H1N1) is that it could pick up genes from other flu strains that would enable it to be both highly virulent and contagious, and these warnings are spelt out in the new study.

"Sustained person-to-person transmission might result in the emergence of more pathogenic variants, as observed in the 1918 pandemic virus," it says.

Another concern is that the virus could acquire mutations enabling it to be resistant to Tamiflu.

"Collectively, our findings are a reminder that (strains of swine flu) have not yet garnered a place in history, but may still do so."

Most of the deaths reported on Monday were in Asia, with Thailand reporting three fatalities and the Philippines two.

Thailand's death toll has now reached 21, while the Philippines has three deaths.

Authorities in Britain announced the deaths of a six-year-old girl and a doctor who had contracted swine flu, bringing the number of fatalities there linked to the virus to 17.

Brazil on Monday reported the death of a nine-year-old boy, taking the number of fatalities in the country to three. A young woman died in Colombia and three new deaths were reported in Mexico, taking the toll to 124.

In Europe, Italy's health ministry reported 38 new cases over the course of the last four days, taking its total well over the 200 mark.

The school closure in Riyadh came with officials there especially concerned over swine flu with upwards of two million people expected over the next five months on pilgrimages to the Muslim holy cities of Mecca and Medina.