• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Kamala Harris Plagiarism Scandal

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Kamala Harris Plagiarism Scandal​

Jonathan BaileyOctober 15, 2024
5 minutes read
service-pnp-ppbd-01200-01262r-240x300.jpg

Yesterday, Christopher Rufo published an article accusing Vice President Kamala Harris of plagiarizing her 2009 book Smart on Crime: A Career Prosecutor’s Plan to Make Us Safer. In his article, he cited five passages in the book that bore strong similarities to earlier works.

That day, the New York Times called me and asked me to examine those five publicly available passages. I studied the passages and found that they were indicators of poor writing processes but did not make up a large portion of the work. As such, while I agree that the passages represent plagiarism and are issues that need to be addressed, they are relatively minor as far as plagiarism goes.

At the time, I was unaware of a full dossier with additional allegations, which led some to accuse the New York Times of withholding that information from me. However, the article clearly stated that it was my “initial reaction” to those allegations, not a complete analysis.

Today, I reviewed the complete dossier prepared by Dr. Stefan Weber, whom I have covered before. I also performed a peer review of one of his papers in 2018.
With this new information, while I believe the case is more serious than I commented to the New York Times, the overarching points remain. While there are problems with this work, the pattern points to sloppy writing habits, not a malicious intent to defraud.
Is it problematic? Yes. But it’s also not the wholesale fraud that many have claimed it to be. It sits somewhere between what the two sides want it to be.

k1976

Alfrescian
Loyal

Analyzing the Full Report​

The 40-page document contains approximately 29 accusations (depending on how you count them). Eighteen of the allegations focus on the book, and another 11 focus on alleged self-plagiarisms that came later.

To that end, I have to dismiss the self-plagiarism allegations out of hand. Politicians repeat themselves, and it’s not surprising to see them reuse words and passages. As I talked about in March, there are times when being original with your word choice can be harmful to your message. This is one of those times.

Furthermore, the report also treats these as less serious, calling them “maybe benign” examples of plagiarism. That makes sense as politicians, in general, have little, if any, expectation of originality.

Much of these allegations came from one interview about the book. While there’s a debate about whether the interview was scripted when it was promoted as live, this is a separate question outside my area of expertise.

Of the remaining 18, the first was discussed in January 2021 and was largely dismissed then. Another deals with self-plagiarism in the book itself. Once again, that is not surprising.

From there, the allegations do get more serious.

The most serious allegation concerns Wikipedia. Harris’ book contained roughly two paragraphs copied from Wikipedia without citation. To be clear, that is plagiarism. It’s compounded by the fact that Wikipedia is typically not seen as a reliable source, and, according to Weber, there was an error in the information.

The section quotes and cites a passage from the U.S. Bureau of Justice Assistance but does not indicate that Wikipedia was used.

Most of the remaining passages are in situations where text was used verbatim but not quoted. The sources were largely cited and, in some cases, were quoted, though not all verbatim text was included.

We’ve seen this problem repeatedly, especially with works from this period. Poor writing techniques and the lack of accessible plagiarism detection tools made this a common problem, especially before the 2010s. While that doesn’t make it acceptable, it makes it more about sloppy writing habits than an intent to defraud.

Merl Haggard

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Tim Cook had just called Donald Trump to complain that Euro Union is imposing a penalty of $15b on Apple and Trump told him that he's
got to win the White House first and then he'll intervene.

If Tim Cook called Trump for help instead of the sitting President, Biden or VP Kamala, I think Trump is gonna win the election by a landslide.

Last edited: