• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Chitchat John Tan's High SES HK Pork Noodles For $8.90! How Come Sinkie Hawker Pork Noodles Cannot Sell Above $3?

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
High SES HK Pork Noodles for $8.90 at Xin Wang Cafe.
3f3b95b4f39243f69201397544_original.

Low SES Sinkie bak chor mee for $3.00!

Bak-Chor-Mee.jpg

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
That's not even pork. It's processed meat by-product aka luncheon meat.

Is that why my delicious HK meal costs $10 after GST and service tax?

Luncheon meat is pork. So special ingredients and effort is needed to turn raw pork into yummy luncheon meat? Maybe sinkie hawkers should use more processed food, since it apparently sells better.

414xrrO7G-L.jpg

glockman

Old Fart
Asset
Is that why my delicious HK meal costs $10 after GST and service tax?

Luncheon meat is pork. So special ingredients and effort is needed to turn raw pork into yummy luncheon meat? Maybe sinkie hawkers should use more processed food, since it apparently sells better.

414xrrO7G-L.jpg
I am surprised a high SES fella like yourself would eat such trash.

"A single serving — two thin slices — contains 30 percent of your daily saturated-fat quota, 31 percent of your sodium, and 13 percent of your cholesterol. If people ate Spam exclusively we’d solve the Social Security crisis in a generation. Nobody would live long enough to collect. "

Why Processed Meat is Bad For You
Processed meat is generally considered unhealthy.
It has been linked with diseases like cancer and heart disease in numerous studies.
There is no doubt that processed meat contains many harmful chemicals that are not naturally present in fresh meat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-processed-meat-is-bad#section2

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
I am surprised a high SES fella like yourself would eat such trash.

"A single serving — two thin slices — contains 30 percent of your daily saturated-fat quota, 31 percent of your sodium, and 13 percent of your cholesterol. If people ate Spam exclusively we’d solve the Social Security crisis in a generation. Nobody would live long enough to collect. "

Why Processed Meat is Bad For You
Processed meat is generally considered unhealthy.
It has been linked with diseases like cancer and heart disease in numerous studies.
There is no doubt that processed meat contains many harmful chemicals that are not naturally present in fresh meat.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/why-processed-meat-is-bad#section2

Bak chor mee is trash. It sells for only 1/3 the price of my Xin Wang noodles. If sinkies can pay $10 for Xin Wang noodles, why can't they pay $5 for a standard meal at the hawker center?

Here's another meal I had with luncheon meat in it - korean army stew. It cost my wife and I around $25 for it. This shows that luncheon meat can sell for much higher than raw, fresh meat that sinkie hawkers use.

budae-jjigae.jpg

JohnTan

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
Enjoy! I would prefer to go for fresh pork rather than processed luncheon meat.

It seems that most of the samsters here prefer fresh pork to processed luncheon meat. Yet the latter can sell for 3 times the price for a simple meal. So I was right when sinkies make a huge mistake to aspire to be hawkers. They are better off selling their food in restaurants than in coffeeshops or hawker centers.

no_faith

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
Xin Wang pork noodles can be cook anything at home
It is a home food dish.
Pay over $10 is a ripped off.:biggrin: