• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jobless Since 2009 - Thank You, FAPee TRAITORS!

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE id=msgUN border=0 cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD id=msgUNsubj vAlign=top> Coffeeshop Chit Chat - Another Painful experience of a SG PMET</TD><TD id=msgunetc noWrap align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><TABLE class=msgtable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="96%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=msg vAlign=top><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgbfr1 width="1%"></TD><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt89 <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Apr-23 10:02 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt89 <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(2 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>48522.2 in reply to 48522.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD id=msgtxt_2 class=msgtxt>
9accc9416439df0e6ee533a207d3a4c1
<CITE class=fn>Iceman</CITE> says:
April 20, 2011 at 5:05 pm
Hi,
I can emphatize with the experience of this writer. I used to serve in the SAF, and after completing my bond in 1999, I left the organization for the private sector.
After about 10 years in the IT industry, I am jobless since I got retrenched in early 2009. Since then, I have not been working. I chose to take a break and concentrated on my postgrad study in NUS.
In the 2 years, I applied for countless number of jobs that are probably closer to my core skill sets. Honestly, there are job offers (although few), but I chose not to take them due to the pay (which sets me back by at least 6 years).
It is true that cheaper foreigners (not necessary talents) are here to take over many of the IT jobs in Singapore. These foreigners are happy to accept lower pay, primarily because their home country does not provide them the opportunities and pay.
Our government stance have been that job displacement of local Singaporeans is an inevitable part of globalization, and we Singaporeans are better off getting lowly paid jobs, compared to no jobs when the MNCs chose other places if our pay are high. The irony is that, despite having arguably the best education system in the region, we are still being paid the same pay as the foreigners coming from never-heard-of universities. Why then do we drive our children so hard in school?
Is the threat of MNCs moving out real if our wages are higher relative to other developing countries? It is real if the TOTAL cost of operation in Singapore is higher compared to other countries. For any MNCs, labour cost is not the only factor to consider when deciding whether to set up operations in a foreign country. There are other more important considerations like proximity to markets, stability of government, taxes, rental, skilled and productive labour etc. MNCs who chose to move out just because we are more expensive in labour will move out anyway, because their businesses only require low cost labour.
The saddest part about our government is that rather than upselling our country in other competitive advantages, they chose the easy way out by selling us as cheap labour. We might have created many jobs in the process, but the ones who benefited the most are foreigners.
To the writer of this blog, I urge you to stay positive. Don¡¯t let this episode affect your many years of hardwork and training. This too shall past and you will look back one day to pat yourself in the shoulder to congratulate yourself that you made it through.
</TD></TR><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR class=msghead><TD><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR class=msghead vAlign=top><TD class=msgF width="1%" noWrap align=right>From: </TD><TD class=msgFname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt89 <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgDate width="30%" noWrap align=right>Apr-23 10:03 pm </TD></TR><TR class=msghead><TD class=msgT height=20 width="1%" noWrap align=right>To: </TD><TD class=msgTname width="68%" noWrap>kojakbt89 <NOBR></NOBR></TD><TD class=msgNum noWrap align=right>(3 of 3) </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=msgleft rowSpan=4 width="1%"></TD><TD class=wintiny noWrap align=right>48522.3 in reply to 48522.1 </TD></TR><TR><TD height=8></TD></TR><TR><TD id=msgtxt_3 class=msgtxt>
e73fa14e4e2c63ef3e902d30e1622046
<CITE class=fn>Marvin</CITE> says:
April 22, 2011 at 3:52 pm
All lot of politicians had use ¡®Globalization¡¯ as a scapegoat for their failures. It was such a good blame tool that globalization is the best propaganda tool for politicians to utilized for any gains or blame for failures.
Look at the whole world and you will realized that those countries that had planned properly, the ill effects of globalization can be minimized. These countries utilized value chain to overcome the initial problems.
But Singapore on the other hand was doing just the opposite. Instead of moving toward a high value chain, they are still playing the cheap game of low value to compete with 3rd world countries with cheap labor. The worst of all is PAP¡¯s policy to bring in massive low quality foreigners and resulted in the drastic fall in productivity.
One of PAP¡¯s biggest failure is it is unable to move up the value chain after in power for 50 years. They are still doing the same dog tricks of the 80s where they roll out red carpet for MNCs which depends on cheap labor. When these MNCs with low end manufacturing needs move out, PAP was caught red handed. PAP did the unthinkable by massive influx of cheap labor of doubtful quality and brought down the wages of local workforce.
On top of that, PAP had relentlessly inflated cost in Singapore through a lot of indirect expenses. GST, ERP, public transport, electricity, property rental had increase so much that we are the 2nd most expensive city in Asia next to Tokyo in the UBS¡¯ Prices and Earnings study.
A further UBS study had shown that the average quality of life in Singapore had fallen to 3rd world country standard. This is a very serious problem! Singapore was the worst performing countries of the 4 Asian tigers in term of quality of life for the average citizens.
PAP had also further alienate its own citizens by exemption of NS for new citizens, put in heavy resources for helping businesses in massive overseas recruitment to bring in more cheaper labor.
PAP had totally lost their moral when they peg their salaries to top performers. While their obscene salaries which is already few times higher that those of 1st world countries was further increased to greater heights, the salaries of the average citizens had fallen drastically.
180,000 people 40 years or older in Singapore were earning less than S$1,000. Another 154,000 over 40 were earning less than than S$1,500. Together they made up more than 17 per cent of the 1.86 million-strong local workforce. During the same period HDB prices had reach the peak which had double or triple fold compare to 10 years ago.
My 35 years old HDB 3-room flat bought in 2003 at $177,000 is worth $320,000 now. On top of that, the PR buyer is willing to fork out a further $30,000 COV.
If this is not serious enough, what is consider serious?
LKY was famous for his arrogant quote in the 80s that his policies were so profound that average Singaporeans will not understand. But is it truly so?
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>