• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

jobless for 20 years = world record ?

madmansg

Alfrescian
Loyal
With just a Secondary 2 education and having been out of a job for the past 20 years, she said she was finding it next to impossible to get re-hired.

=====================

September 09, 2008 Tuesday
RSS

ST Breaking News | Blogs | ST's Home Ground

Jessica Lim
News Reporter
Lucky to have a job
September 09, 2008 Tuesday, 06:58 PM

Jessica Lim senses silent desperation at a job fair.

A 200-STRONG queue of jobless people snaked around the circumference of a small room at the Employment and Employability Institute (e2i) in Redhill from 1.30pm on Tuesday.

Outside, banners - from employers like Carrefour and Sakae Sushi - shouted out job placements for everything from sous chefs to golf assistants. Photographs of lush golf courses at Orchid Country Club lined the walls of the educational institute.

Inside the sparsely furnished rooms, job hunters - mostly N level graduates - clutched folders stuffed with their CVs and other papers as they fervently filled up forms.

The employment and employability institute has organised an exclusive job fair for certified service professionals - eight employers from the retail, F&B and hotel and accomondation sectors will be offering a variety of positions at Redhill Rd.
ST Photo: Aziz Hussin

(From Left) Ms Nirma Suryani,23, Ms Hidayah, 22 and Ms Nirmal Meiyarti,18, applying for a job at the employment and employability institute.

Mr Anthony Seah, 59, a freelance chef looks at the application form to apply job at Orchid Country Club.

Many had been trained on the Certified Service Professional programme developed by the Singapore Workforce Development Agency - which means they have attended classes to improve their service.

It seemed tranquil on the surface. But when this reporter dug a little deeper, what she found was quiet desperation.

“Why did you decide to come here today uncle,” I asked job-seeker Mr Anthony Seah, who was filling up an application form for a sous-chef position at Orchid Country Club.

“Aiyah,” he said, sighing. “Nowadays, so many youngsters give you pressure. They are so fast, we are so old. We cannot compete. So now I am here to look for a job. I don't want to miss anything.”

He has been jobless for a year - quite a long time considering that he has to foot medical bills for his diabetic wife and bring up four children.

His hope: To clinch a job that pays a stable wage of $1,500 a month.

Another, admitted that it was inflation that did her in.

Last time, said Ms Rani John, who is a part-time mail sorter at the post office for $4.50 an hour for four hours a day, it brought in sufficient to feed her family.

“Now its not enough since grocery bills have tripled,” said the 44-year-old. “We have no choice.”

One hour into the job fair and Carrefour has employed three people.

There are about 300 spots available in all - one of the organisers, an enthusiastic man in a black polo t-shirt, reckons that at least 30 per cent of the jobs will be filled up by the end of the day.

On the way out, I bumped into another job-seeker.

With just a Secondary 2 education and having been out of a job for the past 20 years, she said she was finding it next to impossible to get re-hired.

What are you doing anyway, she asked me.

“I'm a journalist for a newspaper,” I replied, a trifle embarrassed to be the only gainfully employed person there. “I write stories.”

But all she did was pat me on the shoulder and nod before telling me how lucky I was to have a job.

She was right: I should thank my lucky stars to be pulling a decent wage in these difficult times.

Ramseth

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
What's joblessness? In my definition, L.K.Y. has been jobless for 18 years, but still retaining a prestigious title with an astronomical remuneration, and promotion to boot. Joblessness may soon be a new social status symbol, beyond political status symbol.

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
asskiss.jpg

I chor boh lan for a greater no. of years. Can anyone beat me to it? *hee*hee*

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal

if she can stay alive for 20 years without a job....i must really learn from her....

popdod

Alfrescian
Loyal
These are the people who left behind when economy is doing good.

The jobs are open for young PRs who came here study...
if you are the employer, who will wanna employ those are old and inexperienced...
unless
you have a compassionate heart....but then again, doing business must talk
profits....cannot talk compassion.

No wonder the suicide rate for the elderly are getting higher...
either suffer from sickness
or
penniless to look after themselves.

This place is getting colder.....

:( :rolleyes: :(

tonychat

Alfrescian (InfP)
Generous Asset
He has been jobless for a year - quite a long time considering that he has to foot medical bills for his diabetic wife and bring up four children.

His hope: To clinch a job that pays a stable wage of $1,500 a month.

He got a liability of a mountain.

When you are young and full of energy, get creative to create your own stream of income by yourself even though you have job and time for fun.

That is a must and a norm thing to do for everyone if you want a proper life. In the end, those fast, and younger ones are the one who work for you, even you are old and shaky.

Last edited:

SIFU

Alfrescian
Loyal
<But all she did was pat me on the shoulder and nod before telling me how lucky I was to have a job.

She was right: I should thank my lucky stars to be pulling a decent wage in these difficult times.>

so she is hinting that she is unlucky to be out of job for 20 years..

wonder how can it be purely due to 'luck' to be unemployed for 20 years.. definitely something fishy.. laziness perhaps??:confused:

silverspoon

Alfrescian
Loyal
when you see all these pple...you really feel sad for them...imagine when you are old and your boss replace you with a FT....

and lan lan you have to go and wash toilet