• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jiuhu Chinese songs ah neh singer, Mohan, kicks the bucket at 64

JurongEast

Alfrescian
Loyal
IPOH: Simon Mohan, the singer of Indian ethnicity who used to sing in Chinese and even released an album in Mandarin in the 1990s, has passed away.

Simon, whose real name is Elanjselvan VM Mohan, was 64.

His eldest son, Krisna Mohan, 34, said his father passed away at the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre in Kuala Lumpur at about 11am on Tuesday (June 11).

"He had dinner with us on Monday and at midnight, he complained he was having difficulty breathing and we called for an ambulance to take him to the hospital.

"Doctors informed us that he had a viral lung infection and a sudden drop in oxygen levels also caused his heart to fail," he added.

JurongEast

Alfrescian
Loyal
Krisna said his father had been staying in Kuala Lumpur after suffering a mild stroke in Ipoh about two months ago.

"We were concerned and felt it was better if he stayed with my brother rather than be alone in Ipoh," he said, adding that his mother passed away seven years ago.

JurongEast

Alfrescian
Loyal
Krisna said his father was more like a "friend" to him and his younger brother, Rajini, 30.
"We talked about anything, travelled and looked for good food to eat together. He was not your conventional father figure and was very good to us," he said.
He said that his father's body would be transported back to their home in Gunung Rapat, Ipoh.
"We will hold a wake for him over three days and the funeral will be held on Saturday," he added.

Balls2U

Alfrescian
Loyal
I've met him once in a restaurant in Ipoh. He was with some people two tables away. Always smiling and laughing. Looks like a pleasant chap.

mahjongking

Alfrescian
Loyal
once you are above 60, u better be mentally prepared for your demise every night you go to sleep.......
life is awfully unpredictable

Truthspeak

Alfrescian
Loyal
If he is vaxxed, you will know why.

IMG_4531.jpeg

superpower

Alfrescian
Loyal

RIP Simon Mohan: Remembering The Malaysian Singer Who Mastered Chinese Songs

https://hype.my/2024/410821/rip-sim...-malaysian-singer-who-mastered-chinese-songs/

Beloved Malaysian Indian singer Simon Mohan (莫翰), renowned for his 32-year career in mastering Mandarin songs, has passed away at the age of 64. His enchanting melodies and acclaimed albums resonated both locally and internationally, leaving an indelible mark on the Mandarin music scene.

For over three decades, the singer has captivated audiences with numerous Chinese New Year melodies. He has also released several acclaimed Mandarin albums which featured iconic tracks like “The Wind Without a Hometown” (没有故乡的风) and “Late Autumn” (晚秋).

448187275_1014883576875038_3329458831498795281_n.jpg

Simon, whose real name is Elanjselvan VM Mohan, previously had issues with his health, having recently suffered from a stroke 2 months ago. His eldest son, Krisna Mohan, said in an interview with The Star that his father passed away at the Universiti Malaya Medical Centre in Kuala Lumpur at about 11am on 11th June (Tuesday).
The 64-year-old singer had been living in KL with his two sons since his wife’s passing in 2017 due to cancer. His eldest son Krisna shared that he felt it was better for his late father to be staying with his brother in KL rather than alone in Ipoh after recovering from a stroke.

The death of the great star came as a shock to many, especially his two sons. “He was having dinner with us on Monday when he said he was having difficulty breathing, so we called an ambulance,” said one of his sons. Doctors later informed the eldest son that the singer had suffered from a viral lung disease that caused his oxygen levels to drop and his heart to fail.

Hailing from Tualang, Perak, Mohan’s childhood experiences at a Chinese primary school laid the foundation for his fluency in Mandarin, Cantonese, and Hokkien. However, Mohan’s father was initially critised for sending him to a Chinese school, given the stigma surrounding an Indian boy attending a Chinese school. In response to this, his father shrugged off the comments, stating that his son was free to choose whichever school he wanted.

In an interview with Malaysian musician Xie Mu, Mohan shared a memory he had of his father. He said, “Since I became a singer, many fans want to know why I enrolled in a Chinese school. I once asked my father. He jokingly scolded me and said that he should not send me to a Chinese school because enrolling in a Chinese school caused an imbalance in the frequency between him and me. Haha! He meant that our thoughts were very different and we often argued because of different opinions.”

Thankfully, his Chinese education paid off and Mohan’s language skills led him to Taiwan, where he advanced his career and left a lasting impact on the Mandarin music scene both locally and internationally. He recounted his entry into the music industry, saying, “At a live band singing competition, my father’s friend, knowing I could sing, asked my father to let me perform. That was my first time on stage, singing ‘Go Shopping with Me.’ At 13, I secretly borrowed RM16.50 to buy a second-hand guitar, which my father broke, believing singing and playing were unhealthy distractions from my studies. Despite this, I continued to sing and entered a competition where Qi Shunqin won that year.“

Since then, Mohan became more active in the music industry and by 1983, was a resident singer in Ipoh. He then went professional, signing with several record companies – one of which even offered to take him to Taiwan. After a few years, Mohan finally got his first big break when he signed with Ruihua Records and released his first album which was produced by Taiwanese producer Lin Qionglong. He also developed a career in Hong Kong and had done performances on Star Cruises and appeared on television shows.

As for his private life, Mohan married a Chinese woman despite facing opposition from both families. “My father was initially against it, but my mother and family supported me until he compromised. Similarly, my father-in-law refused to attend our wedding but later praised me as a son-in-law to his friends.” Sadly, Mohan’s wife fell ill in 2012 and he did not renew his contract to take care of her, switching to small business. After she passed away from cancer in 2017, he returned to the entertainment industry but declined many offers, showing little interest.