• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

Jennifer: Why So Many Rape Scenes Suddenly?

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Why is there a spike in rape and torture scenes in local TV drama?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->RECENTLY, there seems to be an increasing frequency of rape and violent scenes written into local dramas. The violence towards women in these scenes has also escalated and become intensely graphic. For example, the seemingly senseless Felicia Chin torture scenes in The Ultimatum and the many scenes of abuse in the widely watched The Little Nyonya.
Are rape and violence the only way Channel 8 scriptwriters can draw audience sympathy for their characters? In this day and age, are rape scenes truly necessary to create 'deep' and award-winning characters? What kind of messages about respect and treatment of women are we sending to the countless youth and children watching these dramas?
I wish the producers and writers would pause to think about the real consequences of their reliance on sensationalism. The social responsibility they have is too huge to be taken lightly, or sacrificed for the sake of ratings.
Jennifer Tay (Miss)

makapaaa

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
chastity-belt.jpg

mercbenz

Alfrescian
Loyal
That's because MediaCorp don't have a clue in good story telling. For years they view over dramatized tears and runny nose cry scene as award winning material, whereas a short and simple scene should suffice in showing a rape scene, are mostly extended into minutes of gut wrenching over the top acting; were the actors giving all they've got under bad directions? All the while thinking they got a chance at Star Awards?

Meltdown

Alfrescian
Loyal
<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR>Why is there a spike in rape and torture scenes in local TV drama?
</TR><!-- headline one : end --><!-- show image if available --></TBODY></TABLE>

<!-- START OF : div id="storytext"--><!-- more than 4 paragraphs -->RECENTLY, there seems to be an increasing frequency of rape and violent scenes written into local dramas. The violence towards women in these scenes has also escalated and become intensely graphic. For example, the seemingly senseless Felicia Chin torture scenes in The Ultimatum and the many scenes of abuse in the widely watched The Little Nyonya.
Are rape and violence the only way Channel 8 scriptwriters can draw audience sympathy for their characters? In this day and age, are rape scenes truly necessary to create 'deep' and award-winning characters? What kind of messages about respect and treatment of women are we sending to the countless youth and children watching these dramas?
I wish the producers and writers would pause to think about the real consequences of their reliance on sensationalism. The social responsibility they have is too huge to be taken lightly, or sacrificed for the sake of ratings.
Jennifer Tay (Miss)

It's very Sinkee attitude to want the gov't to censor this, censor that. No wonder Peesai doesn't have free speech bec the population don't deserve it!

JohnTT

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think the woman who complained wanna be raped.......:biggrin:....she must be damn unattractive.

Jabba

Alfrescian
Loyal
I think all the female artises should wear burqa...this is to avoid showing off flesh which will corrupt the minds of our young singaporeans...

Agoraphobic

Alfrescian
Loyal
Public demand? Or could it be the producers' idea of allowing their creative juices to flow?

Better to watch cartoons; at least the grammar is correct.

Cheers!

Last edited:

johnny333

Alfrescian (Inf)
Asset
It's very Sinkee attitude to want the gov't to censor this, censor that. No wonder Peesai doesn't have free speech bec the population don't deserve it!

I don't bother watching the local channels.

I think they should waive the radio/TV license & play only the GREAT ONES speeches 24 hours a day.

The radio/TV license is obviously to rip off :mad: