• IP addresses are NOT logged in this forum so there's no point asking. Please note that this forum is full of homophobes, racists, lunatics, schizophrenics & absolute nut jobs with a smattering of geniuses, Chinese chauvinists, Moderate Muslims and last but not least a couple of "know-it-alls" constantly sprouting their dubious wisdom. If you believe that content generated by unsavory characters might cause you offense PLEASE LEAVE NOW! Sammyboy Admin and Staff are not responsible for your hurt feelings should you choose to read any of the content here.

The OTHER forum is HERE so please stop asking.

It is time we give the PAP some competition in politics

Avantas

Alfrescian
Loyal
What are the hallmarks of a good government ? Certainly I count competency, transparency, accountability, empathy and compassion as essential attributes of a good government.

May I ask Mr Wee the following questions:

Where is the competency when a dangerous terrorist Mas Selamat is allowed to escape from his lockup and still remain at large today ?

Where is the accountability when the Minister in charge did not step down to take responsibility for this atrocious error and get his subordinates to take the rap instead ?

Where is the transparency when the PAP Town Councils are still reluctant to reveal their extent of losses of public funds in failed investments ?

Where is the empathy when the pay of our ministers are going through another round of hike at the end of the year at a time ordinary Singaporeans are feeling the pinch of a slowing economy ?

And where is the compassion when a majority of our elderly population are still working well into their twilight years because our government prefers to spend billions of dollars to bail out foreign banks ?

My fellow Singaporeans, this is the government we have. A government which tramples upon our rights, take us for granted, lead us by the nose, never listens to us, insist we follow their orders with flagrant disregard for our feelings and at the end of the day, dare to ingratiate themselves as a “First World” government and demand us to pay them the highest salaries in the world.

Read full article here:

http://wayangparty.com/2008/11/11/when-it-comes-to-politics-competition-is-good/

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
The author of this post is right. Those scum in white and the lackeys had carved out a role for themselves to benefit upon. Whatever losses and mismanagement will be brush aside and not responsible to them.

In short got credits they take, got blame they hide.

2lanu

Alfrescian
Loyal
To add a little bit more, instead of asking the people what they want to society to progress, they set their own direction and expect the people to follow.

The end result is a lot of "hardware" being built and no one participate in it. A good example is the Esplanade. In this area of nation building, I think they lost rival HK by a few miles.

kakowi

Alfrescian
Loyal
Avantas, i read your article.

The point that creates an echo within me is:

"Don’t we deserve leaders who are not only capable, but honest, transparent and understanding as well ?"
And therein lies the nub of the whole matter:

who are these people in the opposition, where their capability, honesty, transparency and level of understanding equal or exceed that of the PAP, at least to the level where we are prepared to give them the benefit of the doubt?

in the context of your post, what would the opposition leaders have done, assuming they are now in charge, in the case of Mas Selamat, Town Council, their own high salaries now (since they now have all the power in the world to give themselves even higher salaries).

Your post also raise several other issues. I hope that the opposition parties' leaders will read it and collectively provide a common platform to voters and tell us at the right time, at least the following:

(1) if the intention is to replace the ruling party in 2010/2011

(2) if the intention is to get 49% of the seats
The implications to voters will be very different.

If their intention is (1) then they should demonstrate their capability, honesty, transparency and understanding.

If their intention is (2) then they should at least tell how their presence and common platform can add accountability to the PAP.

TeeKee

Alfrescian
Loyal
The end result is a lot of "hardware" being built and no one participate in it. A good example is the Esplanade. In this area of nation building, I think they lost rival HK by a few miles.

esplanade is the result of leaders with the poor sense of aesthetics....

Neh_Neh_Pok

Alfrescian
Loyal
me me me!

would like to many times, but many times don't have chance leh...

so which one of you here want to stand for election?

You go ask your pestors to vote same as you lo, if not enough, ask all your chrikukustians members in your church to vote same as you lo